Camping tents and stuff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrshanta

Reaction score
I am planning on doing some overnighters as soon as I get my bike back this week and wanted your experience in choosing a tent.

I haven't done any camping since I was in the army some time ago and the available equipment has surly changed. I have done some research on tents and such and find it a little overwhelming to choose one for just myself on short trips. My wifee may join me once or twice but I don't foresee any more than that. I will be using it this fall and maybe through the winter (doesn't get that cold around here).

Is anyone using a portable sleeping solution they really like? :derisive:

I have an Ozark Trail, 8' x 8', JW-8800, bought several years ago at Wal-Mart. Excellent service from this tent through a few years of my daughters doing Girl Scouts and I've now used it from the bike a few times.

Could not find exactly that tent at Wal-Mart, but this might be close:

9x8 Ozark Trail Tent at WalMart

My JW-8800 packs nicely in its zipper bag and sits perfectly across the rear seat without protruding past the side bags. Plenty of room for two people and I've also packed it across the rear rack for two-up.

Son Eric and I got by easily on a 28-day motorcycle camping trip, with a 7' x 7' nylon tent with rain fly, which I bought from Sears many years ago. Spray that sucker down with CampDry before the first long trip. Don't forget a ground cloth to place under the tent.

For motorcycle camping, I like to go as small and as cheap as possible on tents (ie. disposable). I found this one for around $20 and it seems like it might work well. Too bad it's currently unavailable.

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Eureka camp tents for years - Campmore.com has a good selection, so do Cabellas and REI [ expensive IME ]

Whichever tent you choose I would reccomend one with aluminum poles and a complete rainfly - one that touches the ground. This type of tent is usually rated as a "three season "

In my experience, you're better off with a tent that exceeds what you think "might do " and get one that won't collapse or leak when you really need the shelter.

The ground cloth should be just a little bit bigger than the tent so it doesn't carry water under the tent.

I use a Thermarest full size sleep pad and a down bag to complete the sleeping arrangements.

Things to look for in a tent

Some newer ones don't need a ground sheet - reduces weight and bulk

Less poles and aluminum - better

Free standing always a plus

2 enterences are very handy

Don't go cheap if you plan on doing this a lot - a cheap tent will drive you nuts

Full rain fly that goes to the ground

Yellow atracts bugs

Three seasons are nice but can be a little warm or humid in the height of summer

Good size vestibule

Go to a top of the line camping store and talk to the hikers - they know what is good

The easier it is to set up and take down the nicer your experance with the tent will be

If you have a MEC ( mountain equipment co-op ) around - Go there and talk to them

I have received some of the best information on camping from them - When these people go for 2 weeks with a 70l pack and take all the food and stuff they need - they know how to pack and what to take

If you want a great sleeping pad get a EXPED Downmat

These are great - they roll up very small and are very light - make sure you only fill it with the supplied bag - re: read instruction when you get the mat

Happy Camping

Generally you want a tent that's one person larger than the number of people you'll put in the tent. For a single camper, get a two-person tent; for two campers, get a three-person tent. In a pinch you can cram two people in a two-person tent, but unless you're very, very compatible you won't have a comfortable night.

When I started camping on FJR trips, I dug out my old backpacking gear - an REI two-person, free-standing tent, a Sierra Design 20 degree down bag, etc. I tried using my old Thermarest, but find I sleep a lot better on a twin-size inflatable mattress that I got at a local sporting goods store. The portable inflater plugs into the Powerlet on my bike using a cig-lighter adapter. It has about a 5" loft, and packs down only slightly larger than some self-inflatable sleeping pads. It's more like sleeping at home, and a welcome comfort after a long day in the saddle.

The down bag goes into a compression stuff sack, and cinches down to 8" long by 6" diameter. You must take care to keep down bags from getting wet; synthetic fill bags will still provide warmth when wet, but a wet down bag is worse than nothing.

Have fun!

Wow! I like the Erueka website! This is a brand I had not considered and I'm glad you told me about them. They seem to be great quality and reasonably priced.
Thank You!

Here is a Compact 2 Man tent if you can find it. You can fit it in your top case for it is only 15-16" in width.
Here is a listing on EBay:

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-Eureka-Timberline-...id=p3286.c0.m14
I have this one and they are hard to find and may have to special order from Campmor where I bought mine. It compresses to a very small size, has a floor, and is a 2 man tent for only 5lbs.

Good Luck on your purchase.

Things to look for in a tent
Some newer ones don't need a ground sheet - reduces weight and bulk

Less poles and aluminum - better

Free standing always a plus

2 enterences are very handy

Don't go cheap if you plan on doing this a lot - a cheap tent will drive you nuts

Full rain fly that goes to the ground

Yellow atracts bugs

Three seasons are nice but can be a little warm or humid in the height of summer

Good size vestibule

Go to a top of the line camping store and talk to the hikers - they know what is good

The easier it is to set up and take down the nicer your experance with the tent will be

If you have a MEC ( mountain equipment co-op ) around - Go there and talk to them

I have received some of the best information on camping from them - When these people go for 2 weeks with a 70l pack and take all the food and stuff they need - they know how to pack and what to take

If you want a great sleeping pad get a EXPED Downmat

These are great - they roll up very small and are very light - make sure you only fill it with the supplied bag - re: read instruction when you get the mat

Happy Camping
Thank you so much! You have alot of information there. Seems you might have been camping once or twice. I looked for an MEC in this area but, will have to ride about 80mi one way to get there. Ohh..poor me, Ill have to take the bike. I have an REI near me and will give them a look at lunch tomorrow.

I think this forum is making me smarter. I actually told my wifee my plans of motorcycle camping BEFORE going out and getting the gear. :clapping:

Again, Great info!!!! Thanks.

fjrshanta,

Don't be surprised if you don't find some of these special tents on the showroom floor. Too many retail shops are cutting back on their inventory. I had to special order mine via Campmor.

If you think you’ll only use the tent a couple times per year and you’ll camp only when the weather will be good, you can probably get by with a less expensive tent from Wal-Mart, Big-5 or some other department type store.

However, if you plan on using it often, it all types of weather and you want to your tent to last, be easy to set-up (even in the dark) and even move it away from that rock you didn’t realize was there until your back was on it while trying to sleep, you should spend a little extra and spring for a good quality tent.

I’ve been tent camping via motorcycle for a long time. Not because I couldn’t afford a motel room, but because of the people you generally meet and just the appreciation of the outdoors.

I have always liked Eureka tents because of the quality and the good luck I’ve had with them. But after using the typical 2-person (backpacking style) tent, I decided to go with something with more room. So I bought the Eureka Timberline Outfitter 4-person tent. After all, I am on a bike, not carrying it on my back. As long as you are riding alone, there is plenty of room to carry all of your gear on the FJR. I utilize waterproof stuff bags to put several items together before strapping them down. The Eureka (Outfitter) version is a really great tent that will take abuse and last for a very long time. It’s super easy and quick to setup, even in complete darkness. The zippers and other components are tough and durable. I bought mine from Amazon.com and got a good deal at $200 shipped. Your better tents will have aluminum poles instead of fiberglass. Saving weight is not that important, because no matter how much gear you carry, it will never surpass the weight of a passenger. If you are riding 2-up, you have much more to be concerned about concerning weight and space.

I went with the 4-person tent to give me extra room to move around and store my gear inside without feeling claustrophobic.

Spring for a really good sleeping bag and self-inflating pad too! Your back will thank you. Check out Cabelas for the really good stuff.

Wow! I like the Erueka website! This is a brand I had not considered and I'm glad you told me about them. They seem to be great quality and reasonably priced.
Thank You!
I have a Eureka! Apex 2XT, but mine came with aluminum poles. It looks like they have gone to fiberglass poles now.

You may want to consider the Pinnacle Pass 2XTA. The tents share the same design, but the Pinnacle Pass has aluminum poles and the tent color isn't a "rescue me" orange.

One thing to pay attention to is "pack size". Luckily, my tent was a version that had poles that break down into more sections. This reduces the overall length of its pack size so I can fit the whole works into a side bag.

Of course you could always have some custom poles made up.

Pack size. Pack size. Pack size.

fjrshanta,Don't be surprised if you don't find some of these special tents on the showroom floor. Too many retail shops are cutting back on their inventory. I had to special order mine via Campmor.
These are all outstanding suggestions!! Thanks to all :yahoo:

If you think you’ll only use the tent a couple times per year and you’ll camp only when the weather will be good, you can probably get by with a less expensive tent from Wal-Mart, Big-5 or some other department type store.

However, if you plan on using it often, it all types of weather and you want to your tent to last, be easy to set-up (even in the dark) and even move it away from that rock you didn’t realize was there until your back was on it while trying to sleep, you should spend a little extra and spring for a good quality tent.

I’ve been tent camping via motorcycle for a long time. Not because I couldn’t afford a motel room, but because of the people you generally meet and just the appreciation of the outdoors.

I have always liked Eureka tents because of the quality and the good luck I’ve had with them. But after using the typical 2-person (backpacking style) tent, I decided to go with something with more room. So I bought the Eureka Timberline Outfitter 4-person tent. After all, I am on a bike, not carrying it on my back. As long as you are riding alone, there is plenty of room to carry all of your gear on the FJR. I utilize waterproof stuff bags to put several items together before strapping them down. The Eureka (Outfitter) version is a really great tent that will take abuse and last for a very long time. It’s super easy and quick to setup, even in complete darkness. The zippers and other components are tough and durable. I bought mine from Amazon.com and got a good deal at $200 shipped. Your better tents will have aluminum poles instead of fiberglass. Saving weight is not that important, because no matter how much gear you carry, it will never surpass the weight of a passenger. If you are riding 2-up, you have much more to be concerned about concerning weight and space.

I went with the 4-person tent to give me extra room to move around and store my gear inside without feeling claustrophobic.

Spring for a really good sleeping bag and self-inflating pad too! Your back will thank you. Check out Cabelas for the really good stuff.

[/quote

These are all outstanding suggestions!! Thanks to all :yahoo:

As long as you don't mind not hauling your entire kit in with you, what about a hammock?

I've got one from Hennessy Hammocks that meets a lot of criteria:

• Packs small
  • Sets up fast
  • tears down fast
  • doesn't leave a rock in the middle of my back

Works great as long as you're camping someplace with trees. I use a 1.5" inflatable pad from REI in mine and it's darn comfy.

North Face Tadpole 23

free standing, quick setup, packs small.

It replaced my original Tadpole which lasted 20+ yrs of backpacking, bike camping....

I've tried a one-man tent, and it drove me nuts. Went back to my REI half-dome two-person. Plenty of room for me and my stuff, plus, it has two entrances and a lot of room outside the tent but under the fly. I noticed them on sale a while back for, I believe, $99. (Less than I paid.)

For sleeping, get a luxury-lite cot. Rolls up into a cylinder smaller than a down sleeping bag. With a thermarest pad on top, it's like sleeping on a pillowtop mattress at home.

Get one that packs small, I just went to www.eurekatent.com and they have a factory 2nd section, this 2 man tent packs in 6"x 15" and weighs just 4 lbs. I really fought to keep the pack length under 15" long, this tent is on sale for 49.00 not a bad deal for a lightweight tent. I would also look at Big Agnes when you start to look for sleeping bags, use their sleeping bags with out a floor in conjunction with their air mattresses, both pack smaller than anything I have seen.

I am planning on doing some overnighters as soon as I get my bike back this week and wanted your experience in choosing a tent.
I haven't done any camping since I was in the army some time ago and the available equipment has surly changed. I have done some research on tents and such and find it a little overwhelming to choose one for just myself on short trips. My wifee may join me once or twice but I don't foresee any more than that. I will be using it this fall and maybe through the winter (doesn't get that cold around here).

Is anyone using a portable sleeping solution they really like? :derisive: