Camping tents and stuff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried a one-man tent, and it drove me nuts. Went back to my REI half-dome two-person. Plenty of room for me and my stuff, plus, it has two entrances and a lot of room outside the tent but under the fly. I noticed them on sale a while back for, I believe, $99. (Less than I paid.)
For sleeping, get a luxury-lite cot. Rolls up into a cylinder smaller than a down sleeping bag. With a thermarest pad on top, it's like sleeping on a pillowtop mattress at home.
When thinking about how big a tent to get, think about opening your saddlebag or liner(s) in the tent while it's raining. The single person tents can get really cramped, even if you're alone. You can go insane when you can't even sit up or move around during a day of rain.

I learned the hard way to have a screen that will zip all the way shut. Fortunately the snake wasn't a rattler that was trying to warm up next to me.

The cot idea is great. When we got into Boy Scouting I was trying to macho it on the first camp-out and put my sleeping bag on the floor of the tent. That'll never happen again. When one of the other dads saw me the next morning he laughed and asked if I got any sleep at all while I was trying to warm the ground up.

Another option for sleeping...inflatable mattress.Get the air out and roll it up,it's not much bigger than an inflatable pad-and a world of difference in comfort.Also gets you off the ground so you have the same benifits as a cot.Of course you'll need a pump,but they're pretty small.

Put your sleeping bag on that and enjoy!

North Face Tadpole 23
free standing, quick setup, packs small.

It replaced my original Tadpole which lasted 20+ yrs of backpacking, bike camping....
GUNNY!

I have this same tent. With rainfly it's still small and easy to pack.

PRACTICE setting up your tent several times before making the trip. That will come in handy when you're faced with a night/rain/wind/snow/sleet setup at the campsite. Clear, light and dry are just wishes while on the road :)

I leave most of my gear on the bike which is covered overnight on trips. Lock stuff in the saddlebags (top case if you have one). I take a change of clothes and my tank bag in the tent with me.