Can you hear me now? That is me screaming!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That truly does suck. Been there, done that, got the scuffed bag to prove it (my son was riding pillion and started beating me on the back when I launched mine into the ditch). I was able to find a replacement on eBay - good luck on your quest.

FWIW, I still haven't gone to the extent of "pinning" my bags as some have done, but I *am* a lot more more diligent about checking that each bag is solidly fastened before taking off. I also have not been taking the bags off and putting them back on as frequently these days. I have been commuting to work with the FJR and leave the hard bags on because that's where the rain gear is and where the lunch goes. Knock on wood - I haven't had any more such incidences.

IIRC, someone had the mechanism 'skip' a tooth thus the protruding tang didn't fully engage, causing a problem too. It may have been Ignacio, not sure. On my 06 I always make sure the little gear teeth on the handle still look correct and periodically shoot some dry graphite lubricant on the 'tang' piece.

Speaking of the Toecutter mod, I was planning to do just that, but after taking the best measurements I could I'm wondering if the Gen2 bikes [or maybe just the '08s] sit a bit differently over the bottom mount? I'd bought a set of the same clips that are shown in the how-to, and there simply isn't enough overlap of two bag bosses over the peghanger boss to drill an adequate hole and still have sufficient material left beneath to be trustworthy. I took those back and got some large common cotter pins, but I don't even like the look of that option after checking clearances [same issue]. Anyone else find this to be the case on later FJRs?

I have devised a slight variant on TC's theme that might work, but haven't yet done it. There is space between the bottom of the bag and the top of the rubber bumper, as the bag doesn't actually bear upon the lower mount. It would be possible to drill a hole high enough on the bag bosses so that a zip tie could be run over and back beneath the bar of the peghanger boss [completely surrounding the rubber bumper.

On my 06 it is possible to push the latch down, turn the key to lock, and have the handle locking tab go under the handle instead of into the slot..a good bump can jar the handle up and goodbye bag..The toecutter mod is an easy and sure fix..
I've had an occurance like this on my '04. I was lucky & didn't lose the bag, though.

Coming home from a camping trip, weighed down like the Beverly Hillbillies & pulled over to take a break, I noticed just this thing.

I guess that there was so much weight in the bag that it didn't bounce off... luckily!

I will be more diligent about checking for locked status from now on.

Latest posts