Can you install the VC with stock grips without modification?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELP_JC

Reaction score
Hey gang, read all the posts I found on Vista Cruise, but all I found had non-stock grips, which may or may not apply to stock grips, so decided to start a separate thread. Here are my questions:

1. Can I install the VC WITHOUT cutting my stock grips, and how? And I don't want other grips either. Maybe I'm screwed, huh? And let's continue with the NO's: No 'bar' type VC, and no NEP. Want it to look as OEM as possible, and neither qualifies.

2. If yes to #1, which model do I need? The Hondas or Yamahas, and the single or dual cable model? A model # would be appreciated, and where to buy.

3. Are the throttle housing on GenI and GenII identical for installation/drilling purposes? How far did you guys drill into the housing? Don't want to mess up anything inside.

And kind of unrelated, but if I can install this, where did all the posters bought their shiny and big barend weights, like the ones pictured on Warchild's instructions?

If I can't get the fit I want, will reluctantly have to get the throttlemeisters, but I don't like how they operate. Seems like a royal PITA every time you want to lock the darn throttle, vs half a second with the VC. Would end up spending the same money between VC and barend weights than TM. Thanks for your help folks.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Allyou have to do, rather than "chopping them up" is "machine" them down. I did it on Rickinsac's grip using my belt sander. I simply turned it on, upside down and spun the hilt of the grip against the belt until it was sanded off (and rounded to look OEM) enough to clear the shoulder of the Vista Cruise.

If you don't have a belt sander with a coarse belt, a disc sander, body grinder or dremel would work, just taking a bit more time

Thanks for the barend link man.

Okay, so I CANNOT install the VC without modification of stock grips. Rats.

Most likely will just slap a set of TMs, but I'd like to consider Mike's method for the VC first. Can't visualize exactly what's involved in the procedure. Can you elaborate a bit please Mike? Are you talking about taking apart the throttle housing, removing the throttle sleeve/grip assembly, and then removing rubber from the 'lip' that touches your thumb and index fingers if you slide your hand all the way to the left? Or material from the sleeve as well? Without pics is hard to visualize. Thanks again.

JC

Hey ELP_JC,

Just a heads up..... if you have a G2 throttle tube installed you might have to lightly sand the inside diameter of the VC. I ran into this problem and didn't have the patience to make it work, so I went with the Throttlemeister. Its OK but your right it is more difficult to operate than the VC, but i only use it when on the super slab (which isn't often). BTW I highly recommend the Beamer grips...Very comfortable.

K

Silverbullet, thanks a lot for your detailed write-up; very ingenious.

Keone, I don't have the G2, so no problem there. And I just sold my BMW with the grips that most folks are installing, but I never liked them that much. Believe it or not, I like the stock FJR ones just fine, and I have big hands. And also prefer to have the extra width, since I use a throttle rocker. But thanks for the suggestion buddy.

Thanks for the barend link man.

Okay, so I CANNOT install the VC without modification of stock grips. Rats.

Most likely will just slap a set of TMs, but I'd like to consider Mike's method for the VC first. Can't visualize exactly what's involved in the procedure. Can you elaborate a bit please Mike? Are you talking about taking apart the throttle housing, removing the throttle sleeve/grip assembly, and then removing rubber from the 'lip' that touches your thumb and index fingers if you slide your hand all the way to the left? Or material from the sleeve as well? Without pics is hard to visualize. Thanks again.

JC
My VC fit over the sleeve. I merely had to remove some of the "hilt" end of the grip (shot a little air under it and it slid right off.) On my '04 ir used a dremel on the shoulder of the VC but removing a little rubber from the collar/shoulder of the grip so it doesn't rub on the VC is much easier.

I did NOT use the big, over the grip Vista Cruise, but the plastic one, so we might be talking apples and oranges.

I did NOT use the big, over the grip Vista Cruise, but the plastic one, so we might be talking apples and oranges.
We're talking about the same one buddy; who wants that ugly-looking bar on an FJR??

Thanks to some pics I was PMed, I finally know where you'd need to trim the stock grips. I'll definitely go the VC route, even if it takes me longer to accomplish the job. Unfortunately, I'd still have to drill the housing for an OEM look, correct? Since I'd leave the VC there as it'd be modified to fit, plus it's only $30, I don't mind that much.

Just 2 more questions:

-Do you have to remove the housing, or can you do the entire install, including the drilling, without removing it?

-Which model of VC should I buy? Nobody has answered that.

Thanks a lot to all again. Take care.

JC

I just installed one on my '04 (eliminating the Throttlemeister which has become a bigger derriere pain thanits worth).

I drilled the housing in place. No problem, just go easy and slow..I had to drill at a slight angle, but no problem. I used a drop of blue threadlocker on the screw.

IIRC, the model number is given in this FJR Tech article. I used a sander to remove the little "shoulder" and placed a small washer between the VC and the housing.

FWIW you can install the Universal Vista Cruise on a stock setup without any modifications. I have one on my bike.

FWIW you can install the Universal Vista Cruise on a stock setup without any modifications. I have one on my bike.
Ah! I thought I'd read about this somewhere some time back!

IIRC, one has to remove a bit of material from the body of the Vista Cruise itself in order for it to clear the grip flange.

Is this consistent with your unit, jcolman?