Cannonball 500 Complete!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTP07

Reaction score
Completed my first endurance ride on Saturday.

Cannonball 500 (cannonballrides.ca)

537 miles in JUST under 12 hours. We finished in 11: 51! And we had to bust a nut to get in done in time on the last 2 legs.

It sounds a lot easier than it is.

Lessons learned:

1. Make up time wherever you can. Interstates suck, but you can make up a lot of ground on them.
  2. Socializing at the checkpoints is great, but don't overdo it.
  3. Gatorade, water, energy bars are your friend.
  4. The 2nd day after the ride is the most painful (Today! ouch!)
  5. Make sure everything is done on the bike, maintenance, coolant, oil, etc. I saw a few guys had to bail out due to preventable breakdowns.

Here is a link to the entire 500 mile ride condensed down into 6 minutes.

Just as I try to move away from distance challenges someone sweetens the pot with a ride report.

Good job. I will say with my RDL seat I don't have the sore bum ever.

WTP07 posted: Butt is fine. My back is another story....
Two words: Handlebar risers.

This thread is an old one, but a good one, and sold me on the concept and the specific brand. Best farkle ever, except maybe my Seat Concepts cover.

PS: Congratulations on your Cannonball!

Last edited by a moderator:
WTP07 posted: Butt is fine. My back is another story....
Two words: Handlebar risers.

This thread is an old one, but a good one, and sold me on the concept and the specific brand. Best farkle ever, except maybe my Seat Concepts cover.

PS: Congratulations on your Cannonball!
Thanks Hud,

I have the Helibars installed already. I fear this isn't an equipment problem, so much as it is an age/neglect problem. It's been quite a while since I have seen the inside of the gym, and I am pushing 50. I think putting the gym membership to use will help, if I can actually get my fat butt there.

(that was a quick response!)

I am past 60 and rarely see a gym either. If I'm not sitting bolt upright or nearly so, I cannot imagine riding more than 2 hours. Handlebar risers, especially those that allow the grips to be adjusted backwards -- toward the seat -- should help you achieve that posture.

Remember in your car, or in an office chair, you sit upright or inclined slightly backwards. (Unless you're under 25, then your car seat is reclined so far backwards that you are looking through the steering wheel.) IMHO, you should try to achieve that posture when riding.

Those MotoGP guys can handle the extreme positions because (1) they're kids, and (2) they don't even ride for a full hour.

ama-pro-laguna-seca-sbk-recap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts