Cantankerous 1st Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to the FJR but not to bikes. My 2012 FJR is just over a year old. I've had it just over two months and recently had the 8K service done by my local Yamaha dealer (Loudoun Motorsports - who also quickly transferred the YES warranty for free just after I bought the bike and well before I took it in for service).

Sometimes the bike doesn't want to go into 1st gear after I've started riding. Typical scenarios:

Gearing down toward a red light. Light changes, traffic moves and I need to get into first rather than stopping but the @#$% thing won't go into first from N so I move to 2nd and then back down, which sometimes works.

Sometimes it just doesn't want to go into 1st from N at a stop.

The behavior is not consistent. Is this just a characteristic of FJRs or am I not doing something right or does it need service (clutch adjustment)?

BTW, I did search the forum for a similar issue and did not find it.

Thanks in advance for the assistance. - Jim

Could be that the shifter pivot is in need of cleaning or adjustment. Like many bikes, the FJR does not like to go into 1st gear while stationary. Helps to pull in the clutch, load the shifter a bit and roll the bike forward (or back) just a bit. It should snick into 1st easily.

Hi Jim,

I don't recall seeing you here before, so first let me welcome you to the forum.

What your symptom means is that your clutch is working better than the average FJR's does. The fact that the transmission is not easy to get from Neutral into 1st gear means that the clutch side of the transmission is not spinning at all, so the clutch side dogs may not align with the stationary dogs on the output side. That would mean that there is very little to no clutch drag when the lever is pulled in.

Due to the location fo the clutch basket well above the oil level, most FJRs have a considerable amount of drag, which results in the clutch side of the tranny spinning even with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. Then when you shift into first gear from neutral you hear a loud "kerchunk" as the spinning dogs engage the stationary ones.

I will tell you that my new 2014 will do exactly what you say sometimes, be hard to engage 1st from neutral. I also get this symptom if I forget to down-shift when coming to a stop and leave the bike in a higher gear. The 2014 is also relatively quiet on an FJR scale when engaging gear from neutral. My old '05 never was, and always made the big kerchunk.

So, what to do to avoid it?

One habit you may want to consider is just not shifting into neutral at stop lights at all. It's a bad idea anyway from a safety standpoint, as you will be unable to get out of the way if some brain dead texting cager decides to try and plow you down from behind. It will also avoid the anxiety of having to quickly find 1st gear. Just down shift all the way to first while you are still rolling up to the stop and then hold your clutch in. Build your left arm muscles while you wait.
wink.png

Another way to avoid it, if you just have to shift into neutral for a while, is to let the clutch out and only pull it in right before shifting to 1st. That will give the spinning gears less time to "spin down". I've also found that I can get the bike into gear by rocking the bike slightly forwards or backwards a little to get the dogs aligned, then it drops into gear just fine. (I see that Ross just posted this solution while I am typing)

In short, there is nothing wrong with your bike, the transmission, or your clutch. It is working just great!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy way to get to first that I do often is to simply let the clutch lever out a little (half way usually does it) and then pull it right back in. This moves things in the gearbox just enough. Literally takes 1 second.

As soon as the lever is back in, you should be able to shift right into first without incident.

Not necessary every time but easy to do when needed.

No need to move the bike or anything like that.

I have experienced the same thing on my '12 as well. On my ride to or from work there are a light that can be long so I do put in N rarely and it has not wanted to go in to 1st a few of those times. I would pump the clutch a couple times and it goes in with a clunk.

As others have said the safety issue, lots of times people started rolling forward when they see the light turn green. Keep it first, watch your mirrors while at the lights and be ready to move out when you least expect it.

Did the service include flushing/refilling the clutch fluid? Even so, perhaps the shop wrench was not as particular as he could be, and there may be a small amount of air in the line.

Also, check the lever pivot, as well as the shift pivots, and make sure the shift arm is aligned and tight to the shaft.

The 'double clutch' lever technique(s) outlined above can also help

And avoid being in neutral at stops unless absolutely necessary!