Carbon fiber instead of paint?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allrider

eat, sleep, ride, repeat
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody tried this yet?

I found this on the Seattle craigslist. Buyer beware and all that. I have no affiliation with him and haven't done business with him, but it is something I would like to try on a scratched part or two.

My link

It's obviously just a material overlaid on the parts like the 3m protective films and sealed in place with a heat gun.

I called and spoke to him. He said cost of the full GSXR body work he shows in the ad would be about $1500. To do some separate parts like a tank or a bag it boils down to about $30-50hr + materials. Not much different from a paint job cost wise I suppose.

Holy crap that's a lot of money for some vinyl. It's NOT carbon fiber, it's 3M Di-Noc vinyl covering.

If you like it then go for it but be aware it's NOT real carbon fiber. Do some searching around online and see what this stuff is about before laying down the cash.

No to demean the WuWrap dude's skillz but this is not exactly rocket science, and unlike paint, mistakes are easily corrected, costing maybe a bit of extra wrap film. All you really need is a heat gun and some squidgys. Sooo why not go ahead and try/do it yourself, unless your time is worth more than $30-50/hr :rolleyes: ?

We went with Rhinoliner instead:

IMAG0482.jpg

IMAG0481.jpg

Cost was about $200 - I brought them the parts (tank, tail, fender, flyscreen). They used a small granular formula - turned out really neat! My wife loves it!

Gotta admit, looks pretty cool, but $$$.

Gary

darksider #44
Yep, plenty of youtube videos to show you how to do it out there. And if you don't want to do it yourself, I'm certain you could possibly find someone to do it a LOT cheaper locally.

Here's a guy who wrapped his bike in white vinyl...same process, just a different color...and the results are pretty nice. It's a great way to either cover up a rashed bike or change the color whenever it strikes your fancy but still be able to go back to stock.

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/pictures/49688-vinyl-wrap-lots-pics.html

Here's a guy from one of my car forums doing up a complete wrap on an Audi for the SEMA show. Some nice time lapse footage there. Kills me how much material is lost doing the rear window trim though!