Spare time on my hands to I thought I'd experiment, carbon fiber

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to buy one of those lipstick red '14s and cover it with the flat black wrap.
A few strategically placed pieces and you'll have a sharp looking skooter!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

I'm going to buy one of those lipstick red '14s and cover it with the flat black wrap.
...but wait...there is that issue of that lever, you know, the one you have to pull in when shifting from one gear to the next.

Back on track...I really like the look of the Carbon wrap.

I never posted up, but I got my carbon wrap a couple days after I ordered it. It is plenty big enough to cover the bottoms of both bags like I need, with a little extra to spare. As soon as I have some time, and maybe my brother to help, I'll tackle those. I think they're gonna be cool!

So, today was the day. My daughter's softball practice got cut shirt because of the wind and cold, and my brother is in town, so I decided to wrap the bags.

The first one was a bitch. I've never done this before, so we tore the first strip, and I got pissed and tore it off. My wife noted that if I hadn't of done that, we could have just flipped it over. So, I used the rest of the roll and finished the left bag.

I found more wrap at PepBoys, and actually like it more than the 3M. The 3M tore easily, and wasn't as easy to use. However, the 3M may have stuck better, so in a couple months, I'll know. Either way, the PepBoys wrap was $29 and twice as big as the Amazon 3M.

My wife and daughter and I did the first bag. Brother, daughter and I did the second bag. Second bag came out better, but just from what we learned during the first fiasco. I am NOT addicted. I don't have the patience for this.

BUT, here's the bags:

20160312_170403.jpg

20160312_170313.jpg

20160312_170331.jpg

If these come off top fast, or end up looking like crap, I'll just go back to the PlastiDip. That worked out well, and came off easily.

SkooterG, I just bought a 2016 but have not taken delivery yet.

Love what you have done and would like to do the same.

What kind of time did it take to reinstall the CF nose piece?

What was all involved?

Last edited by a moderator: