Carbone Lorraine brake pad wear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Back when my 07 FJR reached 33,900 miles, I replaced the front brake pads with Carbone Lorraine SBK5+ pads as recommended by Gary at Mondak Motorsports. The factory pads were really expensive and these were considerably cheaper (as would have been the EBC pads that also fit the bike). I didn't replace the rear actuated pads because they still had plenty of meat left.

Yesterday I was riding home from work and noticed a grinding sound from the front brakes and made a mental note to inspect when I got home. The front right caliper rear actuated pads (lower set) are still good with 47,000 miles on the bike, but all the front actuated pads show considerable wear. The cause of the noise was the left caliper, inner lower pad which is worn to the metal:

worn13kpad.jpg

Luckily I had that other set of CL pads that were slated for the rear brake actuated position still sitting in the drawer, so I was able to use them and avoid the dreaded "drive to work in the truck" routine. And for those that don't want to do the math: Factory pads lasted 33,900 miles but CL pads were down to metal in only 13,100 miles. This means the factory pads last over 2.5 times as long!

From inspecting the rotor, I can see that the metal to metal contact was only at the inner and outer edges of the rotor with no contact in the center where the friction material rides. This tells me that there's a trough worn in the center of the rotor. I'm guessing that this is normal rotor wear and not accelerated wear due to the CL pads because those pads wore out twice as quick as factory pads. I'll need to grab a micrometer and check the rotor thickness today.

I'm now shopping for new pads. I liked the braking power and feel of the CL pads, but had no complaints about the factory pads other than replacement cost. I'll have to check prices again, but unless the factory pads are more than twice as expensive as the CL pads it's false economy buying the cheaper CL pad because they wear out twice as quick! Maybe I'll try the EBC pad next because I've had good experiences with them in the past on other bikes.

There is also the possibility that the pistons are not relaxing enough when you get off the brakes. I burned through a set of Yammy pads in about that mileage, knowing the whole time that I needed to do a caliper seal replacement but not having the $$$ for it.

When money got better and I could scrape up the nearly 150 bucks for the seal kits, the front brakes now relax correctly, as evidenced by being able to spin the front wheel when it's lifted off the ground, and it freewheels. Before replacing the seals, it would stop instantly, no freewheel at all, indicating some brake action still in place.

Try it on yours. Lift the front wheel (bike on centerstand and a friend pushing down the rear of the bike) and see if the front wheel freewheels when you spin it by hand.

I'm sure you've been shopping around Harald, but Cycle Parts Warehouse seems to have decent pricing for OEM parts. After looking at this though, I'm kinda confused, is it really $85 a side for stock pads...doesn't seem right.

If you're in a jam, I do have a set of EBC's hanging on the wall that you're welcome to.

--G

I haven't used these guys myself but saw their ad in a bike mag. They offer a 'Money Back Guarantee' on their recommendation for Brembo pads - Brembo pads. You should be able to find the same Brembo pads in the USA. :rolleyes:

Don

I'm sure you've been shopping around Harald, but Cycle Parts Warehouse seems to have decent pricing for OEM parts. After looking at this though, I'm kinda confused, is it really $85 a side for stock pads...doesn't seem right.

If you're in a jam, I do have a set of EBC's hanging on the wall that you're welcome to.

--G
Thanks for the offer, but I had a set of CL pads laying around that I used in the two most worn positions.

No confusion on the factory pad pricing. $85 per side (two packages with two pads in each package) is a normal price for the factory pads. I think they sprinkle them with holy water to justify those prices because aftermarket pads cost about half that. I did find yamahasportsplaza.com had the best price for factory pads at $40.12 per package (beating even Zanottimotor). Assuming you don't need to replace the rear brake actuated pads (mine are still good at 47,000 miles), then a FJR would need 3 sets to do all the front lever actuated pads which will run $137.19 delivered from yamahasportsplaza.

Grabbed one of the calibrated micrometers here at work and headed to the parking lot to check rotor thickness. :angry: CRAP! :angry2: New rotors are 0.180 thick with a wear limit down to 0.160. Mine are less than 0.160 (I had readings as low as 0.155).

I wish I had measured them when before I installed the CL pads so that I'd know how much wear to attribute to the factory pads. I'm really surprised that the CL pads appear to wear the rotors because I always assumed that a pad that wears so quickly doesn't wear the rotor at all. But I haven't heard anyone state that the factory pad prematurely wore out their rotors, so I can only assume the CL pads are to blame.

So off shopping I go for new rotors and pads and what the heck, while I'm at it might as well get caliper seal kits (looks like there's 3 different part numbers to order to rebuild both front calipers). And I won't forget the rotor bolts (12x $1.92 each).

Parts list for anyone interested:

3P6-2581T-00-00 ROTOR $120.03 2 needed

90109-064G6-00 BOLT $1.92 12 needed

3P6-W0047-00-00 SEAL KIT $17.66 1 needed

3P6-W0047-10-00 SEAL KIT $11.57 1 needed

3P6-W0047-20-00 SEAL KIT $12.53 1 needed

3P6-W0045-00-00 PAD $40.12 4 needed

Prices are from yamahasportsplaza.com and qty needed is for entire front end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also read here and there that EBC pads caused premature wear, while some had no problem. I can't imagine the CL's being as aggressive as EBC's, but could be. Maybe we just have soft rotors.... perhaps it would be more economical in the long run to buy aftermarket rotors from EBC or Galfer??? I dunno really what to think of that.

--G
Thanks for the offer, but I had a set of CL pads laying around that I used in the two most worn positions.
You're welcome Harald.

I guess we have another topic for Tech Day...measuring rotor thickness and comparing vs mileage and pad type. ;) As a comparison, at 46,000 with stock pads, my rotors still mic out 0.175" left and 0.173" right. Lots of meat left!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Carbone Lorraine with the group buy a few years back (thinking I would get superior braking). Well I replaced the factory originals (even though they weren't worn out) and got about 12,000 miles on the C/L. Ended up putting the factory pads back on and they are still rolling. Superior wear and I can't tell the difference (not that I'm a 10/10th rider).

What's the issue with thinner rotors? Yeah, increased chance of warping .. I get that .. but until they warp, why replace them early?

PAD KIT (2 pads for 1 caliper)

SKU: 553525

Mfg. Part Number: 3P6-W0045-00-00

Your Price: $44.68

MSRP: $57.31

You Save: $12.63

www.ronayers.com

my take on brakes...I only use OEM pads for the front

more than one very good mechanic have told me OEM pads for any vehicle is a no brainer

so my cars also get OEM

Rear brake pads:

I'm legitimitally fearful of high siding (back wheel lockup/skid) and know the feeling of a panic stop and my jabbing the rear brake pedal (no ABS on my '04)

I feel better when it's quite less sensitive to lock up than most rear disc brake systems

I purchase cheapo $10-15 pads off ebay...I feel they don't stop/work as well as stock...and I like it that way

of course, as usual YMMV

Mike in Nawlins'