CB install/cable routing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker

Tinker
Reaction score
Ok you gurus of all things useful on a our beloved FJR. I'm installing a CB on my FJR. I have the option of routing the coax through part of the frame or routing outside the frame. Is there any advantage to routing through the castings? My thought is that the main run through the frame is in the area of the engine. There may be additional shielding from ignition induced RFI or not. I don't know. The antenna is a no ground plane unit and it will be mounted on a stinger attached to the aft end.

Views, opinions, suggestions gratefully accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off make SURE the the coax length is 17 feet, otherwise you'll have no output from a non ground plane antenna.

Second, always route as far from any EMI or RFI source as possible. You'll know immediately if it's too close when you recive or transmit. You'll hear either sparkplug "pop" or alternator whine.

Also, ground the CB directly to the battery. Running the power there wouldn't hurt either.

But again, most important for a no ground plane CB antenna is following the 17' rule. Wrap the excess in a figure "8". NEVER coil it!

Tinker:

What type of CB are you mounting and where on the bike are you mounting it? I'm considering doing the same. Didn't know what I should go with..handheld or base unit. Wouldn't have a clue as to where to put a base unit.

Thanks.

I"m using a hand held Cobra 38. Currently working on hanging it from the left side of the bars. Intigrating with my Autocom Pro M1 and another toy or two. I've run the coax to figure eight under the pilon with the antena mounted on a stinger off the luggage carrier. Not compleated yet and no photos available to date. More when progress progresses :p

First off make SURE the the coax length is 17 feet, otherwise you'll have no output from a non ground plane antenna.Second, always route as far from any EMI or RFI source as possible. You'll know immediately if it's too close when you recive or transmit. You'll hear either sparkplug "pop" or alternator whine.

Also, ground the CB directly to the battery. Running the power there wouldn't hurt either.

But again, most important for a no ground plane CB antenna is following the 17' rule. Wrap the excess in a figure "8". NEVER coil it!
FJRandy: How precise is the 17 foot requirement? I will need to iinstall a disconnect in the coax near the antenna.

Thanks.

Tinker, can you leave the co-ax and antenna bracket alone and use a quick disconnect antenna mount? Or if you are thinking about removing the antenna, just get a mount that allows you to unthread the antenna and leave the bracket intact.

I'd think it better to not continually mess with the threaded co-ax connectors.

Edit: I just figured out what your avatar is. Doh! A remnant from THE slide.

Mike: Thank the speed demons someone finially got the avatar. Now I can change it.

The no ground plane antenna I bought does not have a quick disconnect. Would it be ok to install a connector at the base of the antenna? I'm trying to set it up to remove the antenna and mount bracket as one.

For some reason I just looked at the avatar and it "clicked" that it was your "used" slider.

If the coas is not something you are going to continually disconnect, but more likely to install for long trips, etc., then remove, probably a normal threaded coax connector will work.

I was thinking of those I know who remove their antennae regularly, so they use and antenna that threads onto a "bolt" so they're not always unscrewing the coax.

So you'll want to use a mounting system where the antenna end of the coax has a threaded connector that screws into the receptor under the antenna. You may end up at a C.B. shop with your problem and see what solutions they have.

Tinker:

I'll be waiting on those pics to hit the board. My Cobra is on the way. I'm also going to use it on my Pro M1 Autocom. Already have the #111 cable. Will try it with stubby. Have you contacted Autocom regarding this? They have some suggestions for their system using the Cobra...they like it.

I haven't looked at Autocoms site in a while. I bought the Cobra because it was recommended for the Pro M1. I've had the bits and pieces for the better part of a year. I'm down sick for a bit and have some time so the bike is all apart and I putter as I have the energy. Moving along fairly well. I'll try to get a few shots up this week, particularly of the coax routing.

Autocom is always concerned about noise on their headsets. It is something they pride themselves in not having...noise. They will tell you how to set the Cobra radio up so you can reduce the noise through the headset. I can't say it works at this time because I'm waiting on the radio. They go as far to say that if the settings they give you don't work they have other methods to try to work on the noise. They are concerned because it is an AM band radio. They really want everyone to use FRS radios....no noise at all.

I'm going to try it because some guys I ride with have Goldwings and they communicate through CB. The better choice is the FRS radio. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck in your install and feel better soon.

FJRandy: How precise is the 17 foot requirement? I will need to iinstall a disconnect in the coax near the antenna. Thanks.
The no ground plane antenna should come with a length of wire. Don't make it shorter like Randy said or you may burn up your radio on transmit. You can put all the connectors on it you want, but each one is another place to have problems from bad connections. I like the idea of unscrewing the antenna from it's mount if you need to remove it.

And like Randy said don't ball the wire into a perfect loop or everyone else will hear some strange stuff. Make a loop and then tie it together with a tie to make a figure 8.

"Back in the day" (damm I hate that phrase) I ran a CB on my pickup. The antenna was installed into the roof. I had a push and twist adapter between the antenna and the base. Quick clean removal and install. Will that work with the NGP antenna?

It looks like you are going to have to make a trip to the C.B. shop and see what they have available. It will depend on what the mount of the antenna looks like. There are a variety of "quick disconnects" available, but there may not be one for your antenna. The market is so specialized, only those in the communication market would have access to the adaptors or.....

I don't know. Like madmike2 said check the shops. All the no ground antenna I've had were plastic base or plastic washer to insulate the antenna from the bikes ground. CB shops will have truck antenna...you may have better luck at a boat shop.

I suppose you could swap the bolt on my firestik for a wing nut and take it off pretty easy. Just put the washers back on in the right order.

fgx-648.jpg

firestick II - 3-way mount

It sounds like he needs to end up with coax like you show in your picture, so he can disconnect and leave the coas while removing the antenna and bracket. That's why I am suggesting he take his pieces to a C.B. (or as you suggested, a Martine Radio store--I have been in a couple here in SAC who do all forms of radios--marine, company, CB, etc.) store who might have a full line of connectors and ideas to solve the problem.

Tinker you can't go wrong with the set up you describe.

I have had a CB, radar detector and CD/MP3 music through my Autocom for the last three years on my FJR and before that an older Autocom with the same set up on my BMW. Never had any problems.

I do have a detachable antenae, but everthing else said is true. I connect direct to my battery through a lighted toggle switch on my right dash panel (the black portion) to remind me that the CB is on and I don't run a battery down.

I have my Auotcom and CB under the tail section of the FJR and the CD/MP3 player under my seat in the square plastic box where the tools were.

The negative with this set up is you have to have the volume, squelch and channel set before you take off.

Once you get it wired and working you should be very satisfied.

igoforit

Well fans the instalation moves apace, slowly but foreward. Iunderstand all of the input and appreciate every word. During the research on this project I received several responses stating the coax should be wound in a fibure eight rather than a simple loop. Does the size of the eight influence range/claritty or no? I've currently arranged the coax to figure eight around the perimiter wall over the rear tire , under the pilon. Its a big eight, about a foot through the long dimension.

Only one more item to buy. The cradel for the Cobra and I'm through spending money on this project.

Thanks again for your interest.