Cdogman in Norcal...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey JB !! Cdog for ya, in the floppy hat, with OldMike & Fjronamission (Brian)
OccidentalrideJune08042.jpg
Okay then. I take it back. I actually DID meet that guy. That is to say, I met Cdog. He was wearing a funny hat. And carrying a funny mascot. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]With NAFO coming up, and me having committed my Candy Butt Association butt to ride George Zelenz' SS1k Ride [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]it was time test the mettle so to speak.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]At first it was simple – ride straight to Moskowite corners, meet the crew, ride home.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Then FjrOnaMission says 'hey, coffee and potty break at my house, stop on by'. So I adjust Mapsource to leave a bit earlier.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Then old man Burleigh offers sausage n' eggs and latte? WTF is latte anyway? [/SIZE]

Is that a Bay thing?

Anyway, sounds too good to be true, so I adjust Mapsource to leave a little bit earlier.

[SIZE=12pt]Next thing I know, I have an 02:15 departure time. WTF?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Preflight inspection - [/SIZE]

1-PreFlightCheck.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]The journey begins [/SIZE]

2-TripStart.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]How dark is it where I live?[/SIZE]

3-DarkVeryDark.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]To eliminate back light glare in the windscreen, I applied 'Carver Tape' . This is my attempt of a pix, instead it looks like a cosmic photo.[/SIZE]

4-CosmicPhoto.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Solteks blazing, pre-trip adrenaline running, I'm maintaining a, uhh, SkooterG pace when Mr. Raccoon decides to dart across the 2 lane. And Rocky is PHAT, and BIG. Normally I don't brake for things you can eat in one sitting, but MR. Rocky deserved some ABS action. Didn't help too much, clipped his tail and trunk. Disconnected the heated vest and tunes, checked the bike, no damage, the journey continues.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Night time cockpit. Order your Carver tape directly from me. [/SIZE]

5-NightTimeCockpit.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Right before town is a bridge over a mostly dry 'river'. Extinguishing the Solteks I also scrubbed speed down to 52. In a 45 zone. Now realize that I had not seen one living thing (except Rocky, and I damn near took him out!) when the approaching car hits me with instant on radar. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Phuck. Yep, I'm done. Just wonder, as Reno John would say, if he's 'going to hang' paper. A quick U-turn, he follows close, I can practically hear him calling the plate number in, then it's disco light time. The wonderful colors of red and blue fill the darkened night and I pull over.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]'Good morning' says the officer. [/SIZE]

'Top of the day to you to, sir' I reply.

'Where you headed to?' the officer asks; (fortunately he's talking pretty loud, I can hear him though I wear hearing protection)

I reply 'Bodga Bay, to meet some friends, then head back home later today.'

[SIZE=12pt]Instantly I wonder if I've blown it – stating a long distance mission that might infer a need to speed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]'Where are you from' he asks, while flashing his powerful light onto the bike cockpit, the Solteks (oh gawd please don't notice they are hot), and finally the back of the bike.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I reply, one word only, getting worried now, 'Creston'. There may have been a tinge of regret in my voice at that time. I'm already thinking about how much MORE I need to speed to maintain schedule or whether it would be best to simply return home, tail between legs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]'Well', the officer replied, 'in that case you need to get going. Just keep the speed down, OK?'[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I was about to ask if I could take a pix but the cardinal rule is that, if, the officer is walking away, let him go. Conversation is OVER, enjoy the moment, take the warning, and carry on.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After that, I decided to modify the backwoods route I had originally planned. Too dark, no cell phone reception, no one would know if I went off, so I simply droned up 101 to meet FjrOnaMission at his house.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]..and arrived about an hour early. Found a MickeyD's, bought a cup of Joe and a San Jose newspaper. Inside MickeyD's were two young very fat folks. One was a verrry sweet gaaay guy who weighed about 280 and the other was a 300 pound chick. Obviously they had been up all night doing drugs and entertaining each other because each was to ugly to find a mate for the night. Only in San Jose I thought…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Met up with FjrOnaMission at his house early, he's a nice guy and good man. Offered me coffee, a couch to grab a quick nap on, and soon enough we were under way to JB's for breakfast. Here we are, leaving for sausage and eggs.[/SIZE]

6-FjronamissionReadytoGo.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]continued..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In route saw a couple of interesting bikes:[/SIZE]

6-BmwDude.jpg

7-HarleyDude.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Arriving at JB's. Doode, get some sun? Maybe it's a side effect of all the latties.[/SIZE]

8-JBsNewRidingAttaire.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]FjronaMission [/SIZE]

9-FjroamissionatJBs.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]JB's front lawn[/SIZE]

11-JBsfrontlawn.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Fuel stop with JB and FjronaMission[/SIZE]

13-BlacknBlue.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]The urinal at the fuel stop[/SIZE]

12-UrinalArtWork.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Enroute to Moskowite corners[/SIZE]

13-EnroutetoMoskowiteCorner.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Nice roads[/SIZE]

13-NiceRoads.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Arrive at Moskowite corners, this gal says she is looking for an FJR rider named ODOT? [/SIZE]

14-OdotsNewGirl.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]And immediately after that, the poh-leece are on scene. My first thoughts were 'JFC, we were freakin' slow coming up here, what could we have possibly done?[/SIZE]

15-JBgoingtojail.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Mr. and Mrs. BlueStreek arrive. First question out of Steve's mouth? 'What's going on here?' LOL.[/SIZE]

16-BlueStreekandCindyarrive.jpg

continued.

[SIZE=12pt]And now for a true apology to folks; I did a terrible job associating forum handles with names. Please reply back on thread or PM with who you are.. Apologies.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The arriveees. Who is this?[/SIZE]

17-Arrival.jpg
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]RognDeb (red fjr, is easy to ID them)[/SIZE]

18-RognDebArrive.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]No idea who is in front, Old Michael in back[/SIZE]

19-OldMichaelandfolksIdontknowArriv.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]OldMIchael[/SIZE]

20-OldMichaelArrives.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Moskowite corners[/SIZE]

22-MoskowiteCorners.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Old Michael[/SIZE]

23-CarlosSantanaAkaOldMichael.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]RognDeb like RED[/SIZE]

24-RognDebIsRed.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Who are you?[/SIZE]

25-WhoAreYou.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]And this couple?[/SIZE]

26-WhoAreYou1.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Geesh, getting a bit embarrassing here.. who is this fine gent?[/SIZE]

27-WhoAreyou3.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Had to take a pix of this MV – lovely.[/SIZE]

28-GotExhasust.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]continued.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Special thanks to Hcycle for having this jewelers screw driver set. My prescription sunglasses had the little screw holding the arm on almost all the way out. I was kicking my own ass for being stupid for leaving my backup pair of glasses at the house. I really need them to see with, and can't stand to be in direct sun light without dark glasses. I had nothing that would work, asked about 5 other folks, but Mr. Hcycle saved the day! Thanks again.[/SIZE]

28-HcycleSavestheDay.jpg

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]We leave the Moskow corners and arrive at Calistoga. IIRC there is a road that runs North to South into Calistoga and it is a hoot. We didn't ride it, I need to find it again.

29-Calistoga.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]For my bud RenoJohn, pictures of his 2nd most favorite thing to do – eat. Here we are at Union Hotel. I liked Mikie's shirt.[/SIZE]

30-Pshycho.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]I think this is RicnSac and ??[/SIZE]

32-ThegrinnerWhoAreyou.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Nice folks, no clue.[/SIZE]

33-Occidental-morefolksIdontknownam.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]RognDeb I think?[/SIZE]

34-RognDebiThink.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]I need help again.. [/SIZE]

35-WhoareYou.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]TurboDave is my all time hero, but this wise old sage is running a close second..[/SIZE]

34-MadMike.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]I will let ya'll caption this ODOT moment of old Cdog.. LOL, BTW, he said I could post this pix, ol Robin must like punishment.[/SIZE]

31-Cdog-namecaption.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]As the afternoon wears on, I realize it's getting late and I'm still due to ride North, away from home, and started to get that 'I gotta get going' attitude. As my friend the truck driver says 'if the wheels ain't turning, you aint' making money'. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I had planned on saying good-byes to everyone I obviously didn't have a chance to meet adequately and head solo to Stewarts /Skaggs road. Then old RicnSac (I think) says hey we want to ride that too! Next thing I know, I'm riding freakin South to get gas in Bodega Bay to then head North up to the bitchen road.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Heading up 101 North, I see this really enthusiastic sport bike riding couple riding South. Made me grin thinking about how much fun they must have been having, so I took their pix. Not until just know did I realize it was RognDeb! Hey guyz, why were you going South? And how come I only know you by the bike?[/SIZE]

36-BodegaBayRognDebWTF.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Realizing it was getting late, I made the decision to leave the group and ride solo homeward bound. Not that I'm faster than the group, but typically a solo rider can ride longer, thus faster, when unencumbered with a group. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Skaggs road is interesting. The Westward side is kind of goat traily, but not really. Just no real flow to it, just like many roads in my hood. I took it easy, kept a good, safe pace, and even though running late decided I was NOT going to let my 'get to the barn' attitude affect my riding safety OR of taking pix and looking at views. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cool old bridge[/SIZE]

37-CoolOldBridge.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Nice views[/SIZE]

38-ThelastoftheGoodroadSkaggsSpring.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]That Skaggs road has lots of motorcycle parts on it. I saw a complete shock, a seat, various pieces of plastic. Then, the bitchen road was over and I was on 101 South looking at:[/SIZE]

39-TrafficSucks.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]So, a friendly, eco-friendly lane SHARER I became. My lady friend warned me to be careful, that Bay Area drivers could be total idiots and pricks – but folks would actually move out of the way for me when they saw me coming between the cars. A terrible head-on wreck had caused the backup.[/SIZE]

39-TrafficSucks.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Whoever knew Iggie had the finances to name his own street?[/SIZE]

40-IgnacioDrive.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Mr. Zumo said the hot ticket was to take a bridge over to Bezerkley.. a first for me, I don't know the Bay Area at all.. This bridge was huge, the wind was blowing hard, and I was grinning inside the helmet thinking about how great it is to do new things, see new sights, experience the highs and low of life. As RJ says, 'Riding motorbikes is great fun'.[/SIZE]

41-BfBridge.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Every time I ride for distance, I look forward to seeing my best friend. Sometimes, he never shows up and I'm somewhat disappointed. Other times, he rides with me for miles and miles. Today, he only made a brief appearance – but once again I smiled and continued on.[/SIZE]

41-MyShawdow.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Shortly thereafter, my thermonuclear device went off-line and I was only 150 miles from home. Pretty happy to break the 150, even happier at the 100 mile mark. With 50 miles to home showing I'm thinking about the nice ride and weather, friendly folks, and how much fun it is to ride and return home safely.[/SIZE]

42-Sunset.jpg

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]Thanks everyone!

[SIZE=12pt]And now for a true apology to folks; I did a terrible job associating forum handles with names. Please reply back on thread or PM with who you are.. Apologies.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Who are you?[/SIZE]

25-WhoAreYou.jpg

Bike Effects you clown!

[SIZE=12pt]Geesh, getting a bit embarrassing here.. who is this fine gent?[/SIZE]

27-WhoAreyou3.jpg

Mike Cabral, AKA Flight Jacket Required....a non posting member.

:clapping: Great pictures and story, Don! :clapping:

Yes, the roads, the riding and the company were EXCELLENT!!! :yahoo:

To answer your caption "queries":

1.) That's Cdogman, himself, arriving at "The Corners".

2.) The couple on the bike is Gfran: Gary and Cindy from Sacramento.

3.) I think that is BikeEffects, Jeff (its an '03), who didn't follow the thread and didn't know we had a ride going. He was just riding with another Napa FJR owner on one of his "local" roads and came upon the group.

4.) The second couple is JREW, John and Jan from Yuba City.

5.) Calistoga, North and South. Perhaps you are thinking of Hwy 29 that curves its way uphill to Clear Lake. That's a right turn where we dead-ended on Silverado Trail and turned left.

6.) Yes sir, that is Ric in sac and Sacramento Mike

7.) At the table on the Union Hotel patio, L-R:

John and Jan (JREW) and Cindy and Gary (Gfran)

Welll... I am home safe... Exhausted........ But safe and sount 2543.4 miles in a few days.... I have pics... tons

I was extremely humbled that my little gonna be in town thread sparked a ride like tis.... it was AWESOME.......... Cali boys are fast...... and some of the nicest peopel anywhere..

I will post a ride report tomarrow that encompases tis ride as well... I got pics... I got mad amount of pics...

But i do remember someon getting fresh with my mascott

P6280070-1.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Awesome Report DCarver. It was great seeing you again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Here are a couple more photos.[/SIZE]

What was Karen going to do with that finger?

IMG_3077.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Some of the other bikes that showed up at the Corners.[/SIZE]

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Pitstop at Calistoga and Petrified Forest Road[/SIZE]

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Here are both sides of a very important discussion.[/SIZE]

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

Maybe more later.

**** you ought to be a writer.. ditto .. the ride was awesome..... FJRM

Lemme throw a few pics in here, between the valid contributions.

On the way to the meeting of the masses.

IMG_1917.jpg

The DEERSLAYER himself! dcarver doing the tourist thing.

IMG_1928.jpg

Gary (gfran) and Rich (Dr. Rich).

IMG_1931.jpg

Mike (HYCLE). You're a good man Mike. And you've a cool name too.

IMG_1933.jpg

I don't know who they are, and they don't know where they are!

(What is it with the finger touchie thing on somebody's tank? Ya see this again and again.)

IMG_1942.jpg

Mike (the Mad) doing a bong hit. (Hides his " device" with his jacket.)

IMG_1948.jpg

The crew. Rog (the lesser half of RogDeb) is the man in blood red. You should see his bike!

IMG_1952.jpg

Too many to name, but a helluva bunch!!

IMG_1954.jpg

Steve (Bluestreek) and Rick (RicknSac). Great guys. Except for Steve.

IMG_1960.jpg

It seems the law is always nearby when this bunch gathers.

IMG_1961.jpg

MMMMMMike. (SacramentoMike) I don't much like this bastard, to be honest with you.

(Did I say that out loud?)

IMG_1973.jpg

I kid. :D

On the way home, shortly after JB and HYCLE and FJRONAMISSION had abandoned me somewhere on the Marin headlands.

IMG_1974.jpg

That's all I got.

I feel fortunate to know all these folks. Thanks again.

Cdogman, have a safe trip home.

WOW! Lots of great photos. I'll have to come back to read the reports.

Thanks for posting. I have a few shots to post later.

It was a great day for us. Nice scenery, nice roads and great company. as usual.

[SIZE=12pt]Carver, you're write up was a great read ...had to go through it a couple of times ....and I gotta make some comments as the fun spirit of your day really captured my imagination.[/SIZE]

At first it was simple – ride straight to Moskowite corners, meet the crew, ride home.
Then FjrOnaMission says 'hey, coffee and potty break at my house, stop on by'. So I adjust Mapsource to leave a bit earlier.

[SIZE=12pt]Then old man Burleigh offers sausage n' eggs and latte? WTF is latte anyway? [/SIZE]

Is that a Bay thing?

Next thing I know, I have an 02:15 departure time. WTF?

--

[SIZE=12pt]Normally I don't brake for things you can eat in one sitting,[/SIZE]
LOL .....Yep, and these guys weren't making it any easier ...but it sounds like they added a bunch'a fun! (BTW: latte is a fat hottie I believe)--

Good advice ...and I'll ad some more for the unknowing: Never eat things that don't have parents.

........hits me with instant on radar..
-Phuck. Yep, I'm done. Just wonder, as Reno John would say, if he's 'going to hang' paper.

-Yep, first thing I think of: Has he already made up his mind? ...and keeping in mind: Everything is negotiable.

[SIZE=12pt]-'Well', the officer replied, 'in that case you need to get going. Just keep the speed down, OK?'[/SIZE]
-Phucker he is
-Yep, first thing I think of: Has he already made up his mind? ...and keeping in mind: Everything is negotiable.

-Now that is a GOLDEN moment. Damn, some people really "get it" and it seems this officer does. Good on the both of ya for the great attitudes.

I was about to ask if I could take a pix but the cardinal rule is that, if, the officer is walking away, let him go.
[SIZE=12pt] Why ask? it's public property :)[/SIZE]

nside MickeyD's were two young very fat folks. One was a verrry sweet gaaay guy who weighed about 280 and the other was a 300 pound chick. Obviously they had been up all night doing drugs and entertaining each other because each was to ugly to find a mate for the night. Only in San Jose I thought…
LOL LOL LOL ....holy shit, some folks deserve each other I suppose. Man, that is some visual. I think most towns (less Creston of course) have that same pair ...truth be known.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]
For my bud RenoJohn, pictures of his 2nd most favorite thing to do – eat. Here we are at Union Hotel. I liked Mikie's shirt.
30-Pshycho.jpg
Thanks bud, ...always appreciate a good meal ..especially when out riding. And Yep, that shirt is awesome.

As my friend the truck driver says 'if the wheels ain't turning, you aint' making money'.
Damn right, bikes are for riding ....

Skaggs road is interesting. The Westward side is kind of goat traily, but not really. Just no real flow to it, just like many roads in my hood. I took it easy, kept a good, safe pace, and even though running late decided I was NOT going to let my 'get to the barn' attitude affect my riding safety OR of taking pix and looking at views.
I sure love the west side of that road. Awesome stuff. Yep, home will always be there, when on roads like that ---you best enjoy them with the attention and respect they deserve, always make time to do that.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]
As RJ says, 'Riding motorbikes is great fun'.
It sure is bud, we're very blessed to share the passion. Life is golden for all that let it be ...and no better way to enjoy it than on a bike. You do it very well Don and sure appreciate you sharing it. Cheers to ya.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]
Every time I ride for distance, I look forward to seeing my best friend. Sometimes, he never shows up and I'm somewhat disappointed. Other times, he rides with me for miles and miles. Today, he only made a brief appearance – but once again I smiled and continued on.
41-MyShawdow.jpg
Man, aint that the truth. What a great quote Don. Sure says a lot. Solitary riding is where you'll likely find the greatest pleasure, and learn the most about yourself and the great adventures that await you here on planet earth.
BTW, I once thought my shadow was my best friend. I've since learned ....my only friend.

As faithful as the sun, and -as you've said, he always brings a smile. There through good and bad what better companion while out riding? If ya don't like your shadow, you don't like yourself.

Awesome report Don ....great ride and looks like you picked a great crew to share it with. Cheers to ya!! renojohn

I don't know who they are, and they don't know where they are!(What is it with the finger touchie thing on somebody's tank? Ya see this again and again.)

IMG_1942.jpg
Were trying to figure out if he could even get there from here. Nope! :glare:

Mike (the Mad) doing a bong hit. (Hides his " device" with his jacket.)
IMG_1948.jpg
Thhppppp......wheeeeew. Wow, man, far out! Let's ride!

Too many to name, but a helluva bunch!
IMG_1954.jpg
L-R:FJRonamission, Bluestreek, Rogdeb, Dcarver, Ric in sac, Mrs. Gfran, Dr. Rich, James Burleigh (in black & blue leathers), Gfran.

It seems the law is always nearby when this bunch gathers.
IMG_1961.jpg

I feel fortunate to know all these folks. Thanks again.
Future motor officers on a training ride. "Oh dang, sweetie, I know it's Saturday and all but I simply MUST attend this training ride through the Napa wine country!"

We feel the same way, Michael. We're all part of the same "collective". Plus, we simply must ride this poor terrain and through this horrible scenery....its our "cross-to-bear" for the rest of our FJR brethren. :lol:

I am all smiles here!!! great reports!! it is like I'm there all over again..... THANKS TO THE WHOLE FJR CREW.. :clapping:

Of all the pix and replies..

I like this one the best.

Why?

Riding buds... those who care about me..

Advising the best route..

What more can a guy ask for?

IMG_1942.jpg