Cee Bailey's +2 +2 install w/pics comparing size, view, ride to stock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walden

Reaction score
New windshield: Cee Bailey's +2+2 with no flip. New to me-purchased slightly used from forum member "jbh." It is literally thicker than the stock one, and doesn't have the rolled edge that the old one does. My old one was very scratched due to mishaps from the prior owner's fiancee. The new one seems to be made by a more resilient material-doesn't scratch so easily.

Install:

I followed Rickster's windshield removal/instal post to get my stock one off. It was so quick and easy I literally did it in a robe and slippers. Hard core, I know...

1: It might be a good idea to put some painter's tape on the fairing to protect the paint from the allen wrench. I decided not to and was very careful instead.

2: The stock windshield had no foam on it. It relies on the existing rubber bumpers that are on the support bracket.

3: Install each plastic screw halfway first. If you do one side first, it won't go on.

Size comparison:

With both windshields off, I set the old one on top of the new one and lined them up according to the mounting points. +2+2 doesn't quite explain the differences. The lower side of the new windshield is about 5/8" wider than the stock.

PB091220.jpg

Measuring the upper side of the new windshield, the difference is between 2"-3" wider than stock.

PB091221.jpg

The top of the new one is about 2 1/2" taller than the old one.

PB091222.jpg

View comparison:

I am 6'2", 205 lbs, 32" inseam and like long walks on the beach. ;)

Here's a pic from my eye level of the horizon line with the windshields full up.

PB091223.jpg

Here's one with a measurement of how far the new and old one are from the horizon line.

Notice that a +2 on the top of the windshield only equates to about +1.5" once installed even though it is 2.5" taller.

PB091225.jpg

Riding impressions:

I traveled at around 40-50mph for about 2 miles and then around 65mph for about 5 miles before posting this. ~ 60 degrees F outside with 15 mph wind.

• -I had to open my faceshield to keep it from fogging up while at 40 with the windshield full up. No problems at 65.
-Wind noise went from a low pitch headache inducing rumble to something higher pitch and much quieter. I was actually able to hear the beautiful sounds of my engine!

-Buffeting decreased dramatically. I noticed that bringing my clutch hand up and resting it on my hip/thigh resulted in much higher buffeting than with the stock one. This also might have been due to a cross wind, though.

Will this be my final windshield? Nah, but it's a dramatic improvement over stock. I would like the windshield to come to about 1" less than the horizon line to not interview with my view. When I ducked my head to about that height, no high pitch wind noise at all-I could hear the stock Accord driving beside me at 65 mph. By algebra, that would be +4 high and +2 wide. I am also very interested in finding out what the flip does to the windstream.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the +4X+4, no flip, and am very happy with it. I am 5'9" with a 30 inseam. I have a Corbin seat which works out to a seat drop of about 3/4 " .

Now that it is cool out (39 F today) I ride with the shield up. Most times I let it down an inch or so from full up as the extra height is only felt by my passenger..as I feel no difference when riding solo between full up and an inch lower.

Full down the wind hits me from the neck up, fine for hot temps, but the noise of course goes way up then.

The ratiings as to +2 , +4 , or whatever in height and width are really just and average, as the stock sheild has a different shape and the CB is more or less rectangular. Think of them more as comparison points rather than true figures relating to stock shield.

From what I have read here, it seems the shield with the "flip" adds a virtual 1-1/2" to 2" to the sheild. So a +3 in height with flip would be simular to a +5 without flip (in some aspects)

When reading impressions of the different windshields here make sure you note if the rider has a Gen I or Gen II bike , as this makes a difference.

I have read a few good reports on the V-stream, so perhaps that will be the next one I may try.

KM

(GenII)

Walden....nice job on the comparo....great pics!!

Anyone looking for great deals on CB should keep an eye on Ebay seller racers35. I believe it to be CB's "outlet store" I got a 2+2 w/flip for $60, very minor damage out of the sight line.

racers35

The flip seems to make a big difference on the wind direction....keeps things real quiet...looks good too.

From what I have read here, it seems the shield with the "flip" adds a virtual 1-1/2" to 2" to the sheild. So a +3 in height with flip would be simular to a +5 without flip (in some aspects)KM

(GenII)
That's been my experience with the flip. I have both a Vstream and a +2height CB with flip. The Vstream is approximately a +4 height shield and it requires raising it up higher to get a calm air pocket than the CB. So I think the effective height increase might be more than 2 inches (YMMV).

Glad you like my old shield. That shield was very similar to my yamaha tall for me, except it was wider. It was probably a little better full up than the yamaha tall but I like the slimmer design to get some wind at my sides as I usually ride with it down (no buffeting but noise). My calsci tall is quieter but I get a little buffeting and it sits taller on the bike so it is not as fun in the twisties.

If I just could get a quieter helmet. I already wear earplugs.

I, like you, will probably try another shield down the road. I really like everything about the bike except the noise or slight buffeting (usually one or the other). For now I am fine with 3 shields (stock, yamaha tall, calsci tall). Each has their own season.