Center stand lifting tricks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me the most important part is getting your weight on the centerstand lever-thingie. So sneakers no workee. I keep the bike in neutral and make sure the bars are straight. The weight on the lever does the work--very little lifting. Like a lot of things, it's about technique, not strength. Lots of the gals do it too (but not so much if it's been lowered, so I understand).

We don't want to have to explain how to pick it up if you drop it, though. Don't drop it.
I used to sweat bullets also, until I realized the trick is your weight on the lever. Don't even need much of anything else. When I lower the bike from time to time, I need to run the front tire up on a 3/4 piece of plywood or anything handy. getting the front up makes it easier yet.

Thanks again everyone for the replies and even (very good) video. Knifemaker, now we're talkin. If you don't weigh enough to pry that sucker up, you must apply force (vertical thru the spine) which really pisses off my back. When the back gets better I'm gonna try the prybar and 2 x 6 both. (Gettin the rear wheel up also makes adding air easier).

BTW, mine is bone stock, but methinks the pivot point design of this stand is way too dependent on too many variables -- lowered, grade, tire diameter, etc. My XS11 weighs as much, but I have no trouble gettin it up.

Weight has little to do with it believe it or not, with practice you can do it. I weigh about 130lb (Up a bit due to winter I think). Its easy after you learn how, and you don't have to pull hard.

Check this topic as well.

It also helps to take the bags off. The extra weight and being able to stand a little closer makes a difference for me along with using the 2x6.

Weight has little to do with it believe it or not, with practice you can do it. I weigh about 130lb (Up a bit due to winter I think).
Believe it...Not. Doesn't your 2004 weigh about 22 lbs less than my 2006? And I know my Yamaha tail case must add abit more weight to the rear too...(And about that "about 130 lbs..." have you checked lately? ;) )

And I should point out that some of us old farts with certain back issues can not lift anything with their back just slightly bent....which for those over 5'9" have to do to reach the handgrip under the seat. Many of you are just physicly stronger in general , so pulling up with say 30lbs of force may seem like nothing.

Other things that do factor in are the texture of the surface the bike sits on...and the angle of the terrain. I know the cement floor in my garage is "slicker" than my concrete driveway. I have seen the centerstand feet slip backwards while attempting the manuver there. My bike is always backed into my garage and, the floor slants down...meaning I have to pull the bike "uphill" to raise it on the stand.

You should understand that there are others that can not possess the same skill others have even with a bit of practice. It may be physical, or just the need of more intensive practice ...that they just don't have the time or energy to acceopt.

I would guess it may be possible that if I had a few folks here to "spot" the bike for me, after an afternoon of attempts ... I might be able to put my bike on the centerstand myself.

But I found a simple solution that works real well for me, so I doubt I would ever invest the time trying.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
To me the most important part is getting your weight on the centerstand lever-thingie. So sneakers no workee. I keep the bike in neutral and make sure the bars are straight. The weight on the lever does the work--very little lifting. Like a lot of things, it's about technique, not strength. Lots of the gals do it too (but not so much if it's been lowered, so I understand).

We don't want to have to explain how to pick it up if you drop it, though. Don't drop it.
I can probably explain the pick up. Last fall before riding to Maupin, OR I decided to wash my bike. Afterwards, I rolled it into my carport to dry and proceeded to put it up on the centerstand. I was still wearing my wet high top rubber boots and my wet foot slipped causing me to fall into the bike knocking it over onto its right side. I had to resort to getting my wife to help with lifting it back up. Remember that it is easier to get back up if you drop it on the left side.

Remember that it is easier to get back up if you drop it on the left side.
Really?!??! Falls just as far. Not seeing why it would be easier one side or the other. (What with having worked both sides. Of the bike.)

Really?!??! Falls just as far. Not seeing why it would be easier one side or the other. (What with having worked both sides. Of the bike.)
For one thing there is no handhold on the right side and without the bags it was almost upside down. I wish you had been there to lift it for me.

Weight has little to do with it believe it or not, with practice you can do it. I weigh about 130lb (Up a bit due to winter I think).
Believe it...Not. Doesn't your 2004 weigh about 22 lbs less than my 2006? And I know my Yamaha tail case must add abit more weight to the rear too...(And about that "about 130 lbs..." have you checked lately? ;) )

And I should point out that some of us old farts with certain back issues can not lift anything with their back just slightly bent....which for those over 5'9" have to do to reach the handgrip under the seat. Many of you are just physicly stronger in general , so pulling up with say 30lbs of force may seem like nothing.

Other things that do factor in are the texture of the surface the bike sits on...and the angle of the terrain. I know the cement floor in my garage is "slicker" than my concrete driveway. I have seen the centerstand feet slip backwards while attempting the manuver there. My bike is always backed into my garage and, the floor slants down...meaning I have to pull the bike "uphill" to raise it on the stand.

You should understand that there are others that can not possess the same skill others have even with a bit of practice. It may be physical, or just the need of more intensive practice ...that they just don't have the time or energy to acceopt.

I would guess it may be possible that if I had a few folks here to "spot" the bike for me, after an afternoon of attempts ... I might be able to put my bike on the centerstand myself.

But I found a simple solution that works real well for me, so I doubt I would ever invest the time trying.

KM
Yes 132lbs, as of today. I have a top case as well. Practice, a flat surface and good foot wear. I had my wife spot me when I was learning how, she help me keep it shinny side up. I saw your solution, its very smart, and it works for you. That is good. I am not much of a machinist. So I found another way.

I wish you had been there to lift it for me.
Well, I'll try to help for next time: Lifting a bike is not done by facing it, leaning over it, and dead-lifting.

First, turn the key off. If the bike's on its right side, put the sidestand down.

EDIT: As pointed out below, I left out "Make sure it's in gear so it won't roll away during the lift."

You squat facing away from it, down-side handlebar pulled as far towards you as you can get it, and grab it with the hand on that side. You other hand grabs the grab handle, subframe, something solid on the side of the bike. Walk backwards, pressing your butt into the seat. Your legs push the bike up onto its wheels. As it roll up, you stand up, walking backwards in tiny steps. If you're on the bike's right side, as it reaches center balance you can turn around and set it down on the sidestand which you already deployed. If you're on the left side, as it reaches center balance, turn around and kick the sidestand down so you can park the bike normally.

Of course, if it fell in the garage and there's a wall where you need to be, then you have a problem. What you probably ought to do then is get a lot of help. If you can't, then you'll have to drag the thing around so you can get to it the way I've described.

I wish you had been there to lift it for me.
Well, I'll try to help for next time: Lifting a bike is not done by facing it, leaning over it, and dead-lifting.

First, turn the key off. If the bike's on its right side, put the sidestand down.

You squat facing away from it, down-side handlebar pulled as far towards you as you can get it, and grab it with the hand on that side. You other hand grabs the grab handle, subframe, something solid on the side of the bike. Walk backwards, pressing your butt into the seat. Your legs push the bike up onto its wheels. As it roll up, you stand up, walking backwards in tiny steps. If you're on the bike's right side, as it reaches center balance you can turn around and set it down on the sidestand which you already deployed. If you're on the left side, as it reaches center balance, turn around and kick the sidestand down so you can park the bike normally.

Of course, if it fell in the garage and there's a wall where you need to be, then you have a problem. What you probably ought to do then is get a lot of help. If you can't, then you'll have to drag the thing around so you can get to it the way I've described.
The only thing I would add to that is 'put it in gear before lifting'. Helps to stop it walking away from you which can be slightly disconcerting <_<

Don

I watched a video of a woman lift a BMW K1200LT and is how I learned how to pick that 900 LB Bike up! I lifted mine many times after it took a nap on me. It had a electric center stand so this will be something I have to learn to do also. This is my first bike with a manual center stand, and only my second that had a center stand at all.

So if it starts to fall over to the right, the thing to do is quick run over and push the right side so it falls on the left. Got it. Thanks, Jerry.

LAF said:
". . .[my BMW] had a electric center stand. . . "
Electric center stand?? Do you mean it lifted itself up onto the center stand, no lifting? Wow, no wonder those Beemers cost so many bucks. Reverse gear?

After I read most of this, I tried to put my new-to-me 2006A up on the center stand the other day after I got it home. I did it, but it took me 30 minutes and a phone call to a friend. I found that by putting my right heel on the center stand and facing forward with my right hand in the hand hold and left hand on the left grip, I could roll it back a tad and pop it right up. Just tried it again for good measure and it went right up on the first try.

So if it starts to fall over to the right, the thing to do is quick run over and push the right side so it falls on the left. Got it. Thanks, Jerry.

LAF said:
Electric center stand?? Do you mean it lifted itself up onto the center stand, no lifting? Wow, no wonder those Beemers cost so many bucks. Reverse gear?

Yep push a button and you and the bike went up on the center stand. And yes it had reverse.

LAF said:

My comments were made to provide a few laughs for you fellows. I pointed out that if I had changed from my wet rubber boots to dry shoes I would have never slipped and fallen on the bike knocking it over on it's right side. I found it harder to find a handhold when I lifted it up from the right side and was jesting about dropping it on the left side where a handhold is available.

I used to sweat bullets also, until I realized the trick is your weight on the lever. Don't even need much of anything else. When I lower the bike from time to time, I need to run the front tire up on a 3/4 piece of plywood or anything handy. getting the front up makes it easier yet.

opps dropped my fjr on Garage, mirror and fairing scapped up. Maybe I need a lighter bike, 58 year old weakling with big stomach. Rode last two days backs killing me. HHeellpp

opps dropped my fjr on Garage, mirror and fairing scapped up. Maybe I need a lighter bike, 58 year old weakling with big stomach. Rode last two days backs killing me. HHeellpp
OHH! I did that too! Did you ram a tool hanger into your hand and require stitches? I did... I had to "American engineer" a rig with pipes and ratchet-straps to lift my bike, because it fell against the wall, and I couldn't get close enough to get any leverage.

I'll fly up in a couple months and take your bike off your hands, as a favor to you. :lol:

Won't even bill you for my airfare!

Man, is this forum full of great peeps, or what?

Seriously, is your back hurting from picking the bike up, or just from riding? If from riding, simple answer is that your posture is wrong. Google "Master Yoda riding position" for some help.

If from picking up the bike, then well, you did that wrong, too. As stated earlier, butt in the seat, facing away from the bike, walk it up with your legs.