Center stand lifting tricks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rideon67

Reaction score
Does anyone have any mods / tricks to make it easier to put my GenII on the center stand. After two weeks sweatin bullets on the heating pad and a trip to the back doc, I have figured out that I need help. I've been leaving it on the side stand or getting help up until a couple of weeks ago but don't really like leaving all the weight on the tires for extended periods during winter, etc. It finally came up, but I ain't gonna ever do that again. Testosterone may make you stronger, but not smart.

Does anyone have any mods / tricks to make it easier to put my GenII on the center stand. After two weeks sweatin bullets on the heating pad and a trip to the back doc, I have figured out that I need help. I've been leaving it on the side stand or getting help up until a couple of weeks ago but don't really like leaving all the weight on the tires for extended periods during winter, etc. It finally came up, but I ain't gonna ever do that again. Testosterone may make you stronger, but not smart.
Back should be straight, pull hard with right hand under the sub frame (there's a pocket there for your hand), put all body weight on right foot pushing down on the center stand, up she goes.

Simply make sure both legs are down first, this may make you feel as if the bike is going over but it's not, grab the left grip with your left hand and lift under the frame in the pocket with your right, kstep down on the stand and POOF it's up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found the way that works for me is to start with the bike on the sidestand. Then with my toes facing towards the rear of the bike I push down on the centerstand and raise the bike up until I feel both feet of the stand touch the ground. Then I push back and down on the centerstand lever and it pops right up with little to no lifting on the handle. Make sure you have thick sole boots on though.

Simply make sure both legs are down first, this may make you feel as if the bike is going over but it's not, grab the left grip with your left hand and lift under the frame in the pocket with your right, kstep down on the stand and POOF it's up!
Thanks for the replys. Should have mentioned that I can not lift straight up due to spine problems. Even with the bike centered and all my 200 lbs on the center stand "lifter" quite a bit of up force is still needed when the bags are on and the tank's full. I could probably put 40 lbs max up force on the lift handle, but am now afraid to. Been lifting an XSII since 1978, and it's way easier than this FJR.

Has it been lowered? That makes a HUGE difference.

If not, I jiss liff et FJR wif mah lef arm en reech down wif my right hand en flick that dang-ol' sinterstan' down, then set that dang-ol' FJR back ontuh the groun'. SImple!

SInce I'm sorta on the largier-side uh the curvical uh citizens , et ain't much trubble fer me-uns. SUmma them litlerest guys mite have sum prollems but mostly et's about tecknicalities 'stedda brutus's strenth.

You might want to try this with a helper on the right side of the bike, then:

1.) Flat level groung (that's the place to learn).

2.) Locate hand slot under tail assembly, left side, under passenger seat, ahead of side case.

3.) Right hand in hand-hold, left hand on left handlebar grip

4.) Push down on centerstand until both "feet" touch surface (this makes sure the bike is properly set up).

5.) Slightly roll backwards, lift with right hand and push down on lever with right foot,

Easy-peasy!

It really is technique...not strength.

To me the most important part is getting your weight on the centerstand lever-thingie. So sneakers no workee. I keep the bike in neutral and make sure the bars are straight. The weight on the lever does the work--very little lifting. Like a lot of things, it's about technique, not strength. Lots of the gals do it too (but not so much if it's been lowered, so I understand).

We don't want to have to explain how to pick it up if you drop it, though. Don't drop it.

To me the most important part is getting your weight on the centerstand lever-thingie. So sneakers no workee. I keep the bike in neutral and make sure the bars are straight. The weight on the lever does the work--very little lifting. Like a lot of things, it's about technique, not strength. Lots of the gals do it too (but not so much if it's been lowered, so I understand).

We don't want to have to explain how to pick it up if you drop it, though. Don't drop it.
It's all about the technique and letting the bike roll back as you press down. I weigh 140 lbs and the bike just rolls back and up onto the stand.

Agreed.

For 50 USD I'll show you I can lift my fully loaded FJR onto center stand barefooted.

IMHO - don't lift with lower back. User the lever arm advantage of the center stand. The other posters described it better than me - they got it.

Good luck, amigo!

I had trouble with my '05. It's been lowered about .75" with Kouba links thanks to the PO. I never really had much problem going to center-stand in my driveway since it was slightly sloped and that gave me a little advantage....until I tried it in my flat garage. Literally blew a gasket. I have an abdominal tear on my left that now matches the one on my right! Surgeon's appt on the 15th.

I now roll my FeeJ onto a 12" long piece of 2x6 of which I cut an angle on one end. It stays on my garage floor and now I lift it at least 3 or 4 times every day. I throw a smaller 2x4x5 version in my topcase incase I need to go up with it on the road. Makes all the difference in the world.

Pretty much what has been said so far is spot on. I don't like to bend my back to lift so I use the passenger grab handle instead, bike in neutral and make sure both feet of the centerstand are equally touching the ground. This is the key. If only one foot is touching, forget it.

Oh, goodie, I get to post my vid. Again. And off to NEPRT we go . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6H9sqzDwQI

Notice that ALL your weight goes on the centerstand tang, as shown by the other foot lifting off the ground. Rather than lifting the bike, your are using the handle to force pressure down onto the tang, which levers the bike up, rolling onto the centerstand feet.

And yes, a bike that's been lowered puts the centerstand out of its leveraged position. It can't start where it's supposed to.

To recap and add a couple points.

Parking with the front wheel uphill makes putting the bike up on the centrestand lot easier than parking downhill.

Consider that when having both centrestand feet on the ground, an equal amount of pressure on each leg must be maintained throughout the lift. The biggest mistake people make is transferring more force to the near centrestand foot during the lift (an unbalanced lift), fearing that the bike may tip away from them. The bike can't fall over once pressure is applied to both centrestand feet. The bike can only fall over or tip once that pressure is removed, as in after failed lift attempt. The easiest way to provide a balanced lift is to get as close as possible to the bike whilst slightly leaning over and to the rear of the bike.

Some other things to consider:

1. Is the centrestand bent or twisted?
  2. Has the bike been lowered without modifying the stand?
  3. Is the bike in neutral? It needs to be in neutral.

During the lift you are essentially increasing the distance between the lift handle and the centrestand foot arm and that is the direction of the forces you want to apply (pull the handle while pushing on the centrestand) . Taller people will find it easier to use the passenger rail rather than the lift handle. If you do it right, your left foot will leave the ground as you lift.

It really is technique...not strength.
What he said. I dang near killed myself trying it the first few times. Then I did a YouTube search and tried it again. After the first couple of times it almost does it by itself now. Don't do it in flip flops. Doesn't feel good.

Does anyone have any mods / tricks to make it easier to put my GenII on the center stand..

You might want to read my post here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=129246&st=0&p=745004entry745004

KM
Thanks again everyone for the replies and even (very good) video. Knifemaker, now we're talkin. If you don't weigh enough to pry that sucker up, you must apply force (vertical thru the spine) which really pisses off my back. When the back gets better I'm gonna try the prybar and 2 x 6 both. (Gettin the rear wheel up also makes adding air easier).

BTW, mine is bone stock, but methinks the pivot point design of this stand is way too dependent on too many variables -- lowered, grade, tire diameter, etc. My XS11 weighs as much, but I have no trouble gettin it up.

There are two mods that haven't been brought up. If you put an upgraded rear shock, i.e. penske or other. There is less sag of the bike and that makes it easier. The other is a good car tire. :eek: Since I put that sucker on, the thing almost jumps up on the center stand. :p Good luck