Center Stand Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left hand on handle bar (hold in clutch or neutral), right hand on passenger grab bar, right foot on center stand. Push off with your leg lifting a bit with the right hand. Most of the leverage comes from your leg, not your arms.
Most of the leverage comes form the right leg standing on the center stand foot. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good tips. Even though the FJR is lighter than my old ST, it does require more force to put on the center stand. Less mechanical advantage I think. I'll try a couple of these tips next time. Thanks.

One thing that isn't mentioned but should be a given is to make sure it is in neutral.
Not necessary at all. Enough slack in the driveline, and the wheel lifts quickly enough in the process, that unless you're already resting on the rearmost position of the driveline slack you won't even hit anything in the geartrain while raising the bike. Personally, I count on it being in gear when I let it down, so it stops rolling away.

Any tips for putting the bike on the center stand when you want to block up the center stand 3/4-1" to help remove the rear wheel. I almost gave myself a hernia trying to get in on the centerstand with a piece of 3/4" plywood under there. Any advise? I guess I could roll the rear wheel up on a block the same thickness as well, but is there an easier way?

yup. Roll the bike up on two sections of 2x8's on the front and back wheels, then remove that after your bike it up on the stand planted on another section of 2x8.

I couldn't get my GS Adventure up on the centerstand until someone showed me how. Then it was easy.
Don't be afraid to ask for help next time you meet up with some FJR riders. I helped a forum member during the LOE last year. It's nice having a couple of "spotters" too.

Any tips for putting the bike on the center stand when you want to block up the center stand 3/4-1" to help remove the rear wheel. I almost gave myself a hernia trying to get in on the centerstand with a piece of 3/4" plywood under there. Any advise? I guess I could roll the rear wheel up on a block the same thickness as well, but is there an easier way?
Yeah, you're not gonna do weel without having the rear wheel elevated somehow already.

I set some bricks out, several of them together to make a big enough platform to use. Then a couple 2x4s in front of it to ease the elevation change. Roll the bike back so the rear is on the bricks, kick the 2x4 piece to the right place to take the centerstand feet. Make DAMN SURE both feet are on the 2x4, and not just at the edge or even off of it completely. I think the bike will fall. The centerstand feet need enough room to roll up as the nike lifts, too.

Now the bike is on the centerstand with enough height to remove the rear wheel without having to remove that dangling fender piece at the back.

Does anyone here use a motorcycle lift? I have one for the cruiser, but as long as it wouldn't hurt the pipes, it seems it would be an easy way to elevate the FJR.

I use the same technique I used at the age of 10 to put my cub 50 on the stand. It worked for a 90 pound weakling 40+ years ago and still does. It's not strength, its all about the technique.

Does anyone here use a motorcycle lift? I have one for the cruiser, but as long as it wouldn't hurt the pipes, it seems it would be an easy way to elevate the FJR.
I use a regular automotive floor jack for some FJR work. I made a wood platform that lifts against the engine and doesn't put any pressure on the header. The platform is a piece of wood with 2 uprights screwed to it so that pressure goes against the engine. No picture but it looks like this: __|____|__

If you are on a a surface like a driveway which is slanted toward the rear it will go up easier however if you are level surface it will not be as easy. Simply get a board that is 5/8 to 3/4 thick and drive the bike so the rear tire is on the board and it will be much easier to get the bike on the center stand. If you use the right thickness of board you can still turn your rear tire in order to clean the wheel or inspect your tire. I bevel both edges of the board so it is easier to get the bike both on and off.

Bravo on posting this video! :clapping:

I weigh 250 and I had a 19 year old 110lb. girl show me how to do this with my '81 GL 500. I actually couldn't manage it before she showed me how to stomp the center stand with my right foot, while lifting the grab bar with my right hand. Easy peasy on every model ever since!

Check this guy out. I'm not sure if he's a forum member but it would be nice if he were around to teach everyone how to do this.

This guy's my hero! :yahoo:

As the bishop said to the actress, it isn’t the getting it up that’s the problem it’s the getting it off!

I can get my FJR onto the centre stand easily, but when it comes to getting it off I must be doing something wrong. Forget the lifting it off, I normally sit on it & push & “bounce” it off & it normally skids all over the garage floor on it's centre stand. I am not little at over 6 foot & 16 stone but it normally lives on it's side-stand because of this

As the bishop said to the actress, it isn't the getting it up that's the problem it's the getting it off!

I can get my FJR onto the centre stand easily, but when it comes to getting it off I must be doing something wrong. Forget the lifting it off, I normally sit on it & push & "bounce" it off & it normally skids all over the garage floor on it's centre stand. I am not little at over 6 foot & 16 stone but it normally lives on it's side-stand because of this
Your garage floor must be a slick surface, like real smooth concrete. Try rocking it off of something less slippery, like in an asphalt parking lot. If that works for you, you can stick a piece of that sticky-backed gritty material for the treads of concrete steps where you park. 3-M makes it, for one. Or maybe some kind of non-slip rubberized pad. As I understand the concept of using stones to weigh yourself, I think we're about the same size. :)

I take mine off the centerstand while standing next to the bike, and then let it down onto the sidestand. Make sure it's in first (so it won't roll away,) grab left handlebar with left hand, left grab rail with right hand, delpoy the sidestand, and heave leftward (bike's forward.) I find that process much easier than mounting the bike and trying to rock it down from the stand.

I take mine off the centerstand while standing next to the bike...I find that process much easier than mounting the bike and trying to rock it down from the stand.
Yes.

And a lot less stressful on -- and less-likely to hog-out the holes of -- the (non-bearing equipped and seldom-if-ever lubed) pivot bolts and bare holes in the center-stand's mount (not-to-mention the stand's pipe structure -- which MamaYama had to strengthen, right after the FJR came to America...).

If you say so... :unsure:

Personally, while I always dismount to put the bike up on one, I never take the bike off of the center stand unless I'm sitting on it. I'll risk "hogging out" the center-stand pivots (pshaa! :rolleyes: ) so I can have a leg on each side of the bike when it comes down. Taking a >600 lb bike off of its center stand is a great way to drop it on its right side. If the weight of the bike starts to lean away from you that sucker is going down. Ain't none of you big boys gonna stop it by tugging on a handle bar from the left side.

I specifically DO NOT put the bike into gear, and in fact would shift the bike into neutral before de-standing (if it wasn't already). It is usually already in neutral as I'd have put it there before putting the bike up on the center stand to begin with. There's no good reason to have the bike in gear on the center stand as the rear wheel is off the ground anyway. Being in a riding position, I also have two perfectly good brake levers to use to make sure the bike doesn't "roll away" on me.

I've never had the least bit of difficulty just rocking the bike off of the center stand. Yeah, I'm pretty tall and can tip toe the ground with it still up on the stand, but I've also just rocked it down without touching the ground with nary a problem. Maybe it's my superior physical condition, exemplary coordination and mad motorcycling skilz, but I kind'a doubt that. ;)

Oh, and as for the slipping backwards sliding on the stand thing, try modulating the little front brake lever. Apply it during the "push-off" phase of the rocking, then release the lever to roll forward and over the high center. You'll then be ready to check that forward roll, so she doesn't "get away" from ya' when it comes off the stand. That's just a little glimpse at those mad skilz I was mentioning previously... :p .