Center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jist pick thet sucker up wit under my rite arm en reech down wit my leff han en flip et ol' center stand down.I lernt how tuh dew this watchin' FJRay.
[SIZE=18pt]FJRay[/SIZE] >
incrediblehulk1.jpg
Mean lookin' SOB ain't he.... 'spoze he has to get all riled up like that to get 'er off the side stand?

I weigh about 125, 5'11" and can tell you its more technique then anything.
:dribble: :dribble: I haven't weighed that little since I was about 11 years old!!

If you're only a buck-twenty-five, then technique is EVERYTHING!

BTW, I did a little experiment a few minutes ago to confirm something I already knew....

Those who practice placing a 2x4 under their rear wheel are doing it all wrong. You should place it under the FRONT wheel. Here's why...

When you roll the bike up on a 2x4 under the rear, sure, you're raising the bike 2 inches, and that's 2 fewer inches you have to get the pig off the ground when lifting on the c-stand, but at the same time, you're essentially trying to get the bike up going up hill, since the back is now higher than the front.

Roll the bike up on that 2x4 on your FRONT wheel...you still get (essentially) that 2 extra inches of lift, but now, with the front higher than the rear, when you pop the bike up on the c-stand, all the weight's going downhill, referencing front-to-back.

Try it. You'll see what I mean.

Brilliant Watson! I have not tried this but it makes perfect sense, yes 125, 130 after a good meal and soaking wet.

I jist pick thet sucker up wit under my rite arm en reech down wit my leff han en flip et ol' center stand down.I lernt how tuh dew this watchin' FJRay.
incrediblehulk1.jpg
Mean lookin' SOB ain't he.... 'spoze he has to get all riled up like that to get 'er off the side stand?
Nah...I think it was a reaction to a fried spider on his Gentoo.
I got no stinking Gen2. Picked mine up in July 02.

incrediblehulk1.jpg
Nah...I think it was a reaction to a fried spider on his Gentoo.
I got no stinking Gen2. Picked mine up in July 02.
Not you, ya silly git....the geezer in the pic. Pay attention.

QUOTE (RadioHowie @ Aug 15 2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those who practice placing a 2x4 under their rear wheel are doing it all wrong. You should place it under the FRONT wheel. Here's why...

When you roll the bike up on a 2x4 under the rear, sure, you're raising the bike 2 inches, and that's 2 fewer inches you have to get the pig off the ground when lifting on the c-stand, but at the same time, you're essentially trying to get the bike up going up hill, since the back is now higher than the front.

Roll the bike up on that 2x4 on your FRONT wheel...you still get (essentially) that 2 extra inches of lift, but now, with the front higher than the rear, when you pop the bike up on the c-stand, all the weight's going downhill, referencing front-to-back.

For once, RH, I don't agree with you
nono.gif

Front or back on the wood, when the bike rolls, the wheels are rolling on a horizontal surface. Gravity is doing nothing for you, it ain't down hill. If you take the brake off, does it roll by itself?

Under either wheel, all you're doing is raising the height where the centre stand touches the ground, the stand is more upright, so the leverage is easier.

It will only be "better" if the front wheel is closer to the stand than the rear wheel (I haven't measured it, so I don't know) when it would have lifted the stand that little bit more, but I doubt there's much in it either way.

Personally, I'd feel a lot more secure with the 2x4 under the rear wheel, where it's not going to slide off the side if the steering moves a bit.

I've only had trouble getting it up when I've had a puncture

(click on image for larger view)

I can't now remember whether I managed it by myself, or got the little woman to pull back on the bike to help (she's done that before for me. She does all sorts of things for me
wubsmiley.gif
. 'Cept go on the back.).

Got to post the argument now, I'm away Friday (not on the bike unfortunately)
dry.gif
for a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For once, RH, I don't agree with you :nono: .
Front or back on the wood, when the bike rolls, the wheels are rolling on a horizontal surface. Gravity is doing nothing for you, it ain't down hill. If you take the brake off, does it roll by itself?
Believe it or not, my Anglo-friend, I don't agree with you, either. You must define what is "uphill" (or downhill for that matter).

Imagine your motorcycle on a perfectly level surface.....and assume that the center line of the axles are exactly the same distance from the ground.

Now, tilt the ground to where the front axle is two inches higher than the rear axle. You are now pointing "uphill". Granted, not a very steep incline, but nevertheless, you have now shifted the weight of the motorcycle rearward by pointing the motorcycle "uphill".

Now, imagine the bike back on a perfectly level surface. Now, put a 2x4 under the front wheel. The front axle is now 2 inches higher from "level" than the rear wheel, is it not? So you have effectively pointed the bike slightly "uphill". The weigh shift is now towards the rear, which will aid shifting even more weight backwards when you deploy the centerstand, which, when deployed, moves the entire motorcycle backwards in relation to its "undeployed" status.

But you don't have to take my word for it.....simply try it yourself. An FJR with the front wheel on a 2x4 is easier to get up on the centerstand than it is with the rear wheel on the 2x4. I re-injured my old hernia surgeries practicing my theory Saturday night. :)

she's done that before for me. She does all sorts of things for me wubsmiley.gif . 'Cept go on the back.).
Prefers doggie-style, does she???? :p :p :p :p

Oh, you wrote "on the back", not "on her back." My bad. :devil:

Ok I got to add my 2 cents on this one.

I once saw a guy put his bike on the center stand without

getting off the bike. So I'll make no assumptions here.

Put the bike in neutral, shut off the engine, put down the side stand and get off the bike.

If you are pointed up hill you may want to leave the bike in gear and pull in the clutch when you grab the hanldebar to lift.

Hell if you are on a steep hill the bike will probably jump on the center stand on command.

Position left hand on the handle bar and left foot just to the left of the side stand pad, toes pointed toward the left rear corner of the of the bike but not quite. Note I get in close to the bike. Position right foot on the center stand pad with toes pointed toward the rear of the bike and push down lightly til the left center stand foot touches. Right hand goes to grab and lift point. I lean a little into the bike at this point and continue to push down lightly on the center stand until the right foot pad on the center stand touches adding just a bit more pressure on the center stand pad with my foot. Now that the bike is solid and I have some pressure on the center stand pad, I push down hard and back toward the rear of the bike while lifting and pushing toward the rear with my right hand.

I probably push off with my left foot a bit at the same time.

I'm 5'7" and weigh 180lbs. I know BMI is not were it should be.

I have tried the method of just standing down on the center stand tab and it does not work for me.

I find the bike just pops right up using the described method. I just went out to the garage and tried it twice to observe what I do.

I'm in sandals although I don't recommend it. At least for me it could be height related but I must tell the bike were I want it to go.

I find foot placement to be the key for me. Hope this makes sense.

Lots of good points mentioned in previous replies. One was make sure both center stand feet are touching and solid before you try to lift.

If you are to far from the bikes center line you will be pulling it toward you and really trying to lift it on the left foot only.

...Believe it or not, my Anglo-friend, I don't agree with you, either.

Nothing new there.

...Now, tilt the ground to where the front axle is two inches higher than the rear axle. You are now pointing "uphill". Granted, not a very steep incline, but nevertheless, you have now shifted the weight of the motorcycle rearward by pointing the motorcycle "uphill".

Now, imagine the bike back on a perfectly level surface. Now, put a 2x4 under the front wheel. The front axle is now 2 inches higher from "level" than the rear wheel, is it not? So you have effectively pointed the bike slightly "uphill". The weight shift is now towards the rear, ...
That's the problem, the weight on each wheel is exactly the same apart from the very slight shift in C of G.

I don't know the exact figures, but I'd guess the bike is about 45/55 front to rear, and the C of G is about 2 ft from the ground?, the wheel base is about 62 inches (I just measured it) - your Gen I will be a little less.

My 45/55 figure would put the c of g 0.45*62 = 27.9 inches from the rear wheel. The weight of a portly GenII is about 650 lbs, so say 650*0.45=292.5 lbs front, 650*0.55=357.5 over the rear.

Raise the front by 2 inches, that's 2 in 62. So your C of G will shift back by 2/62*24=0.77 inches. So now the C of G has moved to 27.9-0.77 = 27.13 from the back wheel. The weight distribution becomes (62-27.13)/27.13 rear to front, or 34.87/27.13, or as percentages, 34.87*100/62=56.24 to 27.13*100/62=43.76, so the weight over the rear wheel is now 650*0.5624 so has gone up from 357.5 to 365.56 lbs. A whole 8 lbs.

So now we've put more weight over the rear wheel. But it's the rear wheel we're trying to lift, while the front remains at the same level. Try that bag of cement in your wheel-barrow in the front near the wheel, or in the back near the handles. Which is easier to lift (apart from overbalancing sideways; these damn vehicles with no lateral stability :wacko: ).

I think you're kidding yourself (and trying to take us along with you). Or simply taking us for a ride. Hey, that's a good idea ...

No, I haven't tried it. I will do just for laughs, but I've no opportunity for a while.

she's done that before for me. She does all sorts of things for me wubsmiley.gif . 'Cept go on the back.).
Prefers doggie-style, does she???? :p :p :p :p

Oh, you wrote "on the back", not "on her back." My bad. :devil:
Don't know what you might be referring to. I'm sure there were once fond memories, but they went to hazy recollections to "dunno what you're talking about" years ago :huh: .

:heart: :friends: :heart: :drinks: :heart:

Trying to "blind me with science" are ya?

(Glad Iggy's back and put this monstrosity of a thread where it belongs. :thumbsupsmiley: )

Trying to "blind me with science" are ya?
(Glad Iggy's back and put this monstrosity of a thread where it belongs. :thumbsupsmiley: )
RadioHowie, what the hell are you doing up so late tonight? Hemorrhoids, sciatica or constipation? 2 out of 3 for me, this getting as old as Sacramento Mike is definitely not for sissy boys, is it Brother!!!

I jumped to the last message in this thread, KNOWING it had to be a resurrection from the dead. It was too late. I was trapped in the vortex!

Every time I think I'm out... they DRAG me back in!

Trying to "blind me with science" are ya?...
Actually trying to open your eyes with simple engineering. :blind: :umnik2: :chickawow: :graduated:

BTW, did you like your quick ferret in my site? (Ve haf vays unt meens ...)

BTW, did you like your quick ferret in my site? (Ve haf vays unt meens ...)
Yep....lots of fun! And Bustanut REALLY liked the slow gerbil!
mcatrophy, Your web site is so incredible and I really enjoyed it. I would love to have your skills in setting up a website like that of my M/C Adventures. Who knows, I am taking the Apple Store classes!!!

QUOTE (RadioHowie @ Aug 17 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...quick ferret...

...slow gerbil!

I was going to say a "quick fertal", but I thought that might be misconstrued. Stupid me, anything here can be misconstrued.

QUOTE (beemerdons @ Aug 17 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..mcatrophy, Your web site is so incredible and I really enjoyed it. I would love to have your skills in setting up a website like that of my M/C Adventures. Who knows, I am taking the Apple Store classes!!!

Thanks for the praise. I didn't take a class, I fathered a son, then let him loose on a Commodore Pet when he was eight. I now have an excellent local teacher of all things I.T.

I'm encouraging him in his motorcycling as some sort of thanks.

Just to keep on topic (what was that?) his Hornet doesn't have a centre stand.