Centerstand question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshift

Reaction score
I bought my 04 FJR with 12600 mi and the previous owner had the F/R suspension lowered so his feet would be flat on the pavement when stopped. Fine with me since I am same height,inseam, whatever. However I cannot use the centerstand because the bike is too heavy to rock and flip down the Centerstand. True, I could take steroids and start a weighttraining program to overcome this problem. BUt ya know I am just too lazy to do that and the Olympic committee frowns on steroid use. I don't want to adjust the suspension to a higher setting. The mechanic at dealer said that is what I would have to do to make it easier for me. Any fixes or should I just use the sidestand and f'get about it?

How much is the bike lowered? I have my '04 lowered about 1/2 inch in the front, and perhaps a scosh more in the rear. I can still get it up! :D

I also cut the foam out of my seat so that I could get a little lower and still us the sidestand and the centerstand.

If you can use the sidestand without the bike tipping to the far side, you should still be able to use the centerstand, I would think. Easy for me to say. I weigh 200 pounds and can stand on the centerstand and pull the bike up.

Have someone spot you and try again. Sometimes you just have to get the thing going, and it will roll right back onto the stand.

You might want to raise the bike up a bit, and cut down your seat (or buy one already lowered). Or remove the stand, cut the legs off and re-weld the feet. That would be the LAST thing I'd do.

How does the side stand still work if it is that low? The normal lean angle with the suspension at normal height is pretty straight up so if it were lowered that much I would think the side stand wouldn't work. If it is not lowered enough to make the side stand useless then it should still go up on the centerstand I would think.

The right technique does make a huge difference in being able to comfortably get the bike up on the centerstand. Use your weight on your leg pushing the centerstand leg down so as to lever it up in the air rather than trying to lift the bike with your hand on the grab handle.

The other question is how was it lowered? If the suspension is just softer so that it has much more sag or "sit in" when you are on it then the suspension will be the same length when fully extended so the center stand couldn't be shortened or it would not get the rear wheel off the ground. If the suspension links or shock length were modified so that the full rebound travel is less then you could cut the feet off the centerstand and shorten it a bit. That wouldn't be that hard to do for a competent machine or welding shop but you would have to come up with the distance to shorten it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always roll it onto a 2x4 first, then it would be easier, like when doing maintenance in your garage.

+1 on making sure your technique is right though.

If you are mostly concerned about putting it on the centerstand to work on the bike, roll the back wheel onto a board to lift it an inch or so first then pull it up onto the centerstand.

Bill

I bought my 04 FJR with 12600 mi and the previous owner had the F/R suspension lowered so his feet would be flat on the pavement when stopped. Fine with me since I am same height,inseam, whatever. However I cannot use the centerstand because the bike is too heavy to rock and flip down the Centerstand. True, I could take steroids and start a weighttraining program to overcome this problem. BUt ya know I am just too lazy to do that and the Olympic committee frowns on steroid use. I don't want to adjust the suspension to a higher setting. The mechanic at dealer said that is what I would have to do to make it easier for me. Any fixes or should I just use the sidestand and f'get about it?
Put it back where it belongs and quit whining. If my short, stubby-assed legs can do it, so can yours!! :D

Or, when you pull it in the garage, pull the rear wheel up onto a 1x6, then try it.

Your technique in lifting the bike onto the stand is most likely all fachachta. A well placed set of hands combined with a heavy foot and gentle tug should pop that sucka right up on the stand - lowered or not. Wussies, sheesh! :bleh: I ride witha gal who is all of 5' - 4" tall and 90 lbs, sopping wet who has no problem, er, getting it up.

Your technique in lifting the bike onto the stand is most likely all fachachta. A well placed set of hands combined with a heavy foot and gentle tug should pop that sucka right up on the stand - lowered or not. Wussies, sheesh! :bleh: I ride witha gal who is all of 5' - 4" tall and 90 lbs, sopping wet who has no problem, er, getting it up.
Not touching that one :blink:

Not touching that one :blink:
Good! You'd get slapped if you did! :lol:

Just grab onto it, give it a good tug and you should be able to get it up.

<insert gratuitous chuckle here>

Board method works well too. :)

What the hell is your left leg doing that it's too busy to put the centerstand down during your end-of-ride stoppie??????

Are you having trouble getting it on the stand, or off?
Depends who you're addressing. Nightshift can't get it onto the centerstand, and BrunDog can't get it off.
Wow, great crowd!
200px-Wiki_jimmy.gif

Somebody give me a
hysterical.gif