Change final drive oil and check engine light is on!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvala

Reaction score
Hello,

My first time posting to the technical forums here so forgive me if I leave stuff out.

I changed the final drive oil in my bike earlier tonight because I've ridden it for about 7k miles and I'm not sure as to when the previous owner had changed it last. I drained it like the owner's manual said to, filled it back up to the start of the threads in the filler hole, replaced the filler bolt and fired it up. I took it for a spin and it seemed to shift a little bit louder than normal, but then again I wasn't wearing a helmet as I was just going through the neighborhood so I thought maybe that was the cause.

When I pulled out of the neighborhood onto the main street and got the rpms up just a tad (about 5k) the red light came up on the dashboard for a split second until I shifted into the next gear. I took it back home in the garage and parked it for the night until I could research why it possibly set off the light.

The only thing that comes to mind is the type of oil that I might have used? Unless the bike requires a break in period before you can even touch the powerband.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&page=reviews&webTypeId=403&navTitle=Chemicals&webCatId=23&keyword=final+drive+oil&prodFamilyId=11707

I used the pro honda shaft drive oil listed in the link above on rockymountainatv. Is there a reason why it wouldn't work? Is there something else I should be using?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

There are no lights that have anything whatsoever to do with the final drive.

The only red light on the dash is the oil level light. (It's not low oil pressure, like it would be in a car, it's low level.) You're a bit low on engine oil.

Check oil level at the sight glass on the left side of the bike. Put the bike on the centerstand on a level surface, and you should see the oil level around the center of the sight glass. All oil or near the top is too much, no oil or near the bottom is too low.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only red light on the dash is the oil level light. (It's not low oil pressure, like it would be in a car, it's low level.) You're a bit low on engine oil.

Check oil level at the sight glass on the left side of the bike. Put the bike on the centerstand on a level surface, and you should see the oil level around the center of the sight glass. All oil or near the top is too much, no oil or near the bottom is too low.
Thank you for the response.

I had happened to check the engine oil as I'm planning on changing it out tomorrow and it's about 1/4th of the way in the sight glass. It seems like it's right at the low-level mark or just above it so I guess I'm still slightly confused as to why that light might have popped up...

Patrick

The oil level sensor seems to be a little bit arbitrary in the FJR. Some folks have found the light to come on briefly even when the oil is at the low end of the correct level range. It happened to me when I left my bike on the side stand on a slanted surface where the bike was tilted over just a little more than usual.

I prefer to keep my oil level near the top of the sight glass so I do have a little extra in there most of the time.

Hello,

My first time posting to the technical forums here so forgive me if I leave stuff out.

I changed the final drive oil in my bike earlier tonight because I've ridden it for about 7k miles and I'm not sure as to when the previous owner had changed it last. I drained it like the owner's manual said to, filled it back up to the start of the threads in the filler hole, replaced the filler bolt and fired it up. I took it for a spin and it seemed to shift a little bit louder than normal, but then again I wasn't wearing a helmet as I was just going through the neighborhood so I thought maybe that was the cause.

When I pulled out of the neighborhood onto the main street and got the rpms up just a tad (about 5k) the red light came up on the dashboard for a split second until I shifted into the next gear. I took it back home in the garage and parked it for the night until I could research why it possibly set off the light.

The only thing that comes to mind is the type of oil that I might have used? Unless the bike requires a break in period before you can even touch the powerband.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&page=reviews&webTypeId=403&navTitle=Chemicals&webCatId=23&keyword=final+drive+oil&prodFamilyId=11707

I used the pro honda shaft drive oil listed in the link above on rockymountainatv. Is there a reason why it wouldn't work? Is there something else I should be using?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Thank you for the response. I had happened to check the engine oil as I'm planning on changing it out tomorrow and it's about 1/4th of the way in the sight glass. It seems like it's right at the low-level mark or just above it so I guess I'm still slightly confused as to why that light might have popped up...

Patrick
Gunny red light oil, yellow light engine.
Let us know how it goes. This should do it, if it were low.