Changing Gears without using the clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been shifting clutchless for a lot of years.Only one of my bikes had to have the tranny rebuilt but that one was seriously abused.Develop that RPM technique and shouldnt be a problem.I have slammed my bike into higher gears at high rpms and is a really cool rush to feel the front kick up in 3rd.I do use the clutch when wife is aboard though.She doesnt like the hard snap clutchless shifting gives.Scares her.

I aways use the clutch. Not that big of a deal to me. But I'm curious. For those of you who don't use the clutch (much), do you notice a lot of metal particles in the oil? I would imagine that would have to wear on the gears a bit more.

I go without clutch when really pushing the bike hard like on the track etc. Have burned out clutches prematurely on previous bikes power shifting with clutch.

I aways use the clutch. Not that big of a deal to me. But I'm curious. For those of you who don't use the clutch (much), do you notice a lot of metal particles in the oil? I would imagine that would have to wear on the gears a bit more.
When properly executed, the "clutchless" shift, or speed shift as it's sometimes called, can actually be easier on the transmission parts. It takes a lot of practice and much familiarity with the bike, its various power curves at varying speeds etc., to speed shift smoothly all the time.

I purposely inspect some my oil changes for metal particles using a coffee filter and a magnet, to see if anything is showing up. The only time I find noticeable particles is whenever I have been over using the clutch, not when I've been "underusing" the clutch. :)

I use the clutch for N-1-2, almost always speed-shift 2-3-4-5, and rarely attempt downshifts without the clutch. If I want to make a super smooth shift without the need to "blip" the throttle, I will pull a slight pressure on the clutch without fully releasing it just before the speed-shift.

Dirt racers habitually speed shift. The comination of the dirt surface and the chain drive provides more than enough slap/slack to allow a smooth mesh transfer. It shaves milliseconds off the lap times with each shift. Milliseconds eventually add up when you are shifting constantly. The habit/practice has never been an issue for me on street bikes since the late 70s models.

The FJR with its shaft drive, does not have the luxury of "chain slap" for shifting tolerance. IMO, the FJR requires a more precise throttle blip than chain bikes. Another common side effect of speed shifting is rear tire wear. Every rapid shift scrubs a bit of rubber unless you manage to hit it 100% accurately. Only the AE computer is capable of repeatedly shifting that way.

To me, the worst thing about speed-shifting, is the embarrassment when you miss a shift and have to back off, clutch and try again. It's like pulling out reading glasses in a topless bar.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally don't use the clutch on upshifs from second gear or higher. I have been doing this for years. When done correctly it is very smooth.

I like to go clutchless but sometimes I still pull the clutch. seems to me that if I pull the clutch i am riding aa bit more relaxed than normal (cruser mode).

No particles in any of my motorcycle engines, dirt, race or street. I always look for metal.

The one time I found metal in the oil on my road race engine, it was a crank bearing that was starting to fail. Had nothing to with the bike being up shifted without the clutch. Had everything to do with racing a bike that was modified to the point of more than doubling the hp output ('86 Honda Hawk 650 making stock 38 hp to 1mm overbore 77hp rear wheel) and spinning the v-twin at or near the red line (modified ECU at 9500 rpm) for for three race weekends without tearing the engine down and rebuilding it. Contributing was a weak crank design that flexes which also contributes to the bearing wear.

The only time I use the clutch is when I'm going from N to 1st

Otherwise, clutchless shifting all day. Never had any problems.

Hate to be the odd man out but with the FJRs power and trans, I have been practicing the fast clutch in and eeeaasy smooth out technique of up shifting. Smooths out the shifts incredibly. Haven't tried clutchless shifts on the FJR yet but do it all the time on dirt bikes

One thing to keep in mind for anyone that's trying to learn the clutchless shifting technique - don't apply excessive force to the shift lever. If you're having to put a lot of force on the shift lever you're not doing it right and can easily bend the shift forks leading to expensive tranny repair.

Doncha just preload the shift lever, then when the engine hits the rev limiter it pops into the next gear? :ph34r:

More often than not I don't use the clutch from 2nd up but always use it for downshifts.

When upshifting, all you need to do is unload the gears. I always use the clutch from first to second and downshifting. During brisk acceleration, I always "blip" the clutch for upshifts. It's more automatic habit than anything. Always being mindfull of what's going on inside the gearbox.

What I want to know is, do you take advantage of that butter smooth shift into first you get at about 2mph and sit through the light wearing a hole in your throwout bearing, or, do you go to neutral and clunk into first right before you take off?

I love that nice quiet, gentle hit into first right before stop, but, it kills me to grind that plunger into the bearing through a whole light. I kick it into neutral to wait and clunk into first to leave, myself. I figure it's the less of two evils.