Chatterbox XBi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr105

Reaction score
Chatterbox XBi with Bluetooth Rider To Passenger Motorcycle Communication Head Sets

Does anyone have any experience with this product (looking to purchase)

Chris

In general. I have not heard good things from most guys who use Chatterbox. Have not heard about the new wireless model. I wanted to buy this model too but considering the bad track record of chatterbox, I may not use less someone on this board has some different experience to share with the wireless model.

Tread carefully indeed. This was supposed to be out a couple years ago. FJR&R and I were going to get a couple of sets and after waiting and waiting through numerous delays due to bugs, I went with the new Scala rider. Couldn't be happier with that.

:pig_ball:

OK , well I was just checking sounds really cool, wireless connection to GPS, phone, mp3, rider to passenger & bike to bike with in 1/2 mile, the only thing I heard bad so far from reading at different site's/reviews was the ability to recharge, it can only be done on a typical home 12v outlet, if there was something to convert the charge to except the fjr power out let I think it would be perfect. Anyway thanks for any & all feed back

Chris

OK , well I was just checking sounds really cool, wireless connection to GPS, phone, mp3, rider to passenger & bike to bike with in 1/2 mile, the only thing I heard bad so far from reading at different site's/reviews was the ability to recharge, it can only be done on a typical home 12v outlet, if there was something to convert the charge to except the fjr power out let I think it would be perfect. Anyway thanks for any & all feed back
Sounds like your looking for the setup I use.. Nothing but praise on my end. Works perfectly. MicroFone 2

Note: this unit as well must be recharged from a wall outlet. The unit ships with 2 different style battery packs. One that attaches to your helmet, is good for about 5 hrs. The other, a 'touring' unit, I've never had go dead on me after 14 hrs of continuous use. Basically, its a non-issue for me.

Chris
FJR105, I personally wouldn't hesitate to get a Chatterbox product. I was given a GMRS X1 unit not terribly long ago & the unit works flawlessly as a unit to use as bike to bike. This unit is wired & is not blue tooth. I also use the unit to listen to my MP3 player through & it also has the capability to be used to pipe my GPS in... but do not have the proper cord to do it, yet. It also has the capability to it use as an intercom but I have not used it for that, yet. Actually, the only thing that I've found that I don't like about it... I am restricted to listening to my MP3 player through the unit as opposed to just hooking my MP3 player to the headphones. And that is because I am restricted to "their" headphones.

The person that gave it to me said that he hooked it to the 12volt power source from the bike & had LOTS of engine noise. My use of the battery has been great. I do keep a spare "charged" rechargeable with me. Obviously, transmitting takes more power than receiving.

I have found that a "good" battery pack that has a full charge will easily last through a day ride. Recharge it in the hotel at night.

I also read somewhere about a recharger that can be hooked to your bike's power. Plug it into the unit & it will recharge it while you ride... provided that you don't transmit for awhile. You can listen, though.

Bungie thanks for the feed back, sounds like the MicroFone 2 & XBi have a lot in common, price and all

luvtoride thanks for the feed back as well, I know chatterbox is fairly popular so I'm hoping it will be a good dependable product

Bungie thanks for the feed back, sounds like the MicroFone 2 & XBi have a lot in common, price and all
Except a longer warranty and being fully waterproof :D I've ridden through day long frog chokers and not a whimper from the unit.

The Chatterbox units work extremely well when powered by their own rechargeable battery pack. They are not 100% waterproof and must be covered (I used a shower cap and rubber band) during periods of extended or heavy rain. They will withstand a light shower.

However, if you are hesitant about replacing battery packs during a full day's ride and are considering powering the Chatterbox units from bike 12v, DON'T!

You will have to make all your own cable sets using isolation transformers for every input. The Chatterbox units will absolutely fry your upstream devices if everything is powered from the bike.

For a solo setup, the Chatterbox works well. You cannot use two units (one rider, one passenger) without modifying the RF antenna of one unit to reduce "swamping". The modification voids the warranty of the unit and is not officially supported by Chatterbox.

In case you can't tell already, I've owned a few Chatterbox units. They were good money and represented reasonable value IMO. But if you are looking for a full-blown, bike (12v) powered, rider/passenger audio system... look elsewhere.

I'm not at all satisfied with a Chatterbox bluetooth unit I bought recently. The speakers and mike are huge and make my helmet an uncomfortable mess. The mike works fine as far as overcoming noise, but the speakers are drowned out at highway speeds.

Admittedly, my helmet is just as tight as it can be without causing pain, which I've always thought was the best fit, anyway. And it's a particularly noisy model, Shoei X-eleven.

The bluetooth part works perfectly, however, and I'm studying ways to use a smaller mike and in-ear speakers wired up to the three-way.

Scala Rider Q2?
I think so. It's all the way downstairs. I'd have to get up off the bed and walk down to the garage to make sure...

Love it. Took it on a 4K mile test ride over the summer and worked like a champ.

The Chatterbox units work extremely well when powered by their own rechargeable battery pack. They are not 100% waterproof and must be covered (I used a shower cap and rubber band) during periods of extended or heavy rain. They will withstand a light shower.

However, if you are hesitant about replacing battery packs during a full day's ride and are considering powering the Chatterbox units from bike 12v, DON'T!

You will have to make all your own cable sets using isolation transformers for every input. The Chatterbox units will absolutely fry your upstream devices if everything is powered from the bike.

For a solo setup, the Chatterbox works well. You cannot use two units (one rider, one passenger) without modifying the RF antenna of one unit to reduce "swamping". The modification voids the warranty of the unit and is not officially supported by Chatterbox.

In case you can't tell already, I've owned a few Chatterbox units. They were good money and represented reasonable value IMO. But if you are looking for a full-blown, bike (12v) powered, rider/passenger audio system... look elsewhere.

[/quote

Myself and 2 riding buddies have used GMRS X1's for several years and they work great! No problem at all with 2 units on the same bike. Rode "bitch" for 300 miles and we talked the whole way.