Cheap HID Aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex and smitty141, are you guys going to start new threads showing your light brackets?It sounds like Smitty is finished with his, but Alex, as you design consider spacing the mirrors away from the bike.

<Brackets for aux lights, Are there any that act as spacers for the mirrors?>

Also, keep in mind that the GenII mirror assembly pivots in a plane nearly perpendicular to the ground. It might be easer to make a light bracket to fit in that gap rather than against the fairing, especially when tying the two mirrors together.

I'll be watching for those updates guys!
+1 on the mounting brackets. I will be watching this thread for more mounting options. :yes:

... Here is the spread from the HID
P1020107.JPG
Is it me, or does it seem that the light is concentrated in one spot? I don't know if this is aiming, but it appears that you'll burn a hole in the concrete, but 10' away it is black as night. Maybe just the camera or what, but I would expect a more ecen beamcast is your goal...

-BD
Looks to me like he has the HID aimed down so you can see the shape of the whole beam. It's a nicely shaped beam with most of the light concentrated in the middle where you need it when it's aimed down the road. Looks like a pretty good light, especially for the money!
+1 - that is what I assumed as well.

It would actually have been better to have the HID beam on the garage door with and without the headlights, but I'm guessing that wasn't possible with his configuration, hence the ground shot. Also, I agree it is a tight beam pattern concentrated in the center. That's why I said it would make a good high beam.

I'm thinking these would be good for Wabs. At this price destroying one or two due to crashing doesn't seem as bad..
There was a thread (mostly useless) on klr.net showing these 4 inchers mounted on nerf bars. The mount caused too much vibration and the lights would go out of alignment. But the beam was subjectively good on the dual-sport. No follow-up since April, but I suspect another mount point on a thumper would be required. YMMV.

Alex and smitty141, are you guys going to start new threads showing your light brackets?It sounds like Smitty is finished with his, but Alex, as you design consider spacing the mirrors away from the bike.

<Brackets for aux lights, Are there any that act as spacers for the mirrors?>

Also, keep in mind that the GenII mirror assembly pivots in a plane nearly perpendicular to the ground. It might be easer to make a light bracket to fit in that gap rather than against the fairing, especially when tying the two mirrors together.

I'll be watching for those updates guys!
I've been using the Skyway brackets with my Solteks for over 2 yrs now (67k miles and no sub frame issues so far) and IMHO these are the best design, they are strong, and set forward so a tip over want "kill" your aux lights, it's a real shame he's not making/selling these any more. Maybe Ian would be interested in licensing out/selling the rights to the design?.

Btw, I typically run my Solteks on the public roads at night (I do quite a bit of night riding), I have them aimed about 1 car length further then the Low beams are....so far have not had any issues with LEOs about this and only a very occasional pissed off cager. It's scarry how much FOD crap thee is lying on the roads at night, especially on Interstates when you can see it :)

These chepo HIDs do look promising and they do "look" lighter too, are they?

Those look to be pretty cool. And they say they are only 2 lbs each.

Going to need a direct comparison with the other ones from this thread.

The Hella's look just like the Custom Accessories model. Almost exaclty the same except for the trim ring and cover.

The mounting on these are a bit tricky compared to the Soltek's. Ian's bracket will not work on these due to the lower mount being adjustable. I'm tring to figure out a better solution.

The Hella's look just like the Custom Accessories model. Almost exaclty the same except for the trim ring and cover.
The mounting on these are a bit tricky compared to the Soltek's. Ian's bracket will not work on these due to the lower mount being adjustable. I'm tring to figure out a better solution.
Will they work with Garauld's bracket? I would love to swap my FF50s for a set of the HIDs. I could really drive DR. Rich crazy with those.

Will they work with Garauld's bracket? I would love to swap my FF50s for a set of the HIDs. I could really drive DR. Rich crazy with those.
No they will not. The HID is much larger than your average setup. I've purchased a set of Garauld's brackets years ago and if they are still the same design, the lights rear housing would contact the fairing.

After building my light bracket I received my lights. Naturally the build quality is not of the Solteks... That said the only problem was getting the aim I wanted. It has a tooth type adjustment. After twiking my bracket I am happy so far. I will ride to work tonight to see how they shine. The beam looks to be a little wider than the Solteks.

Heres a pic of the beam pattern of the Solteks..

002-4.jpg

And now the Cheap-o's...

011-3.jpg

Some more pic's.

008-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

That beam pattern being just a bit wider is not a bad thing. Yes, you will lose a small amount of downrange punch, as compared to the $$$$ Solteks but think of the roadside critters you'll pick-up... ;)

No they will not. The HID is much larger than your average setup. I've purchased a set of Garauld's brackets years ago and if they are still the same design, the lights rear housing would contact the fairing.
I have Garauld's brackets with the FF50s mounted on top of the bracket. It looks like these 4" might work if mounted from the bottom, but not having one to test or measure I just don't know. Wheen you say that they won't, were you referring to a typical top mount or either way? Thanks.

doctorj

Is Smitty or Alex fabricating and selling their brackets?
Yes. I've lined up a laser cutter, tumbler, and powder coater. They will come in 2 seperate brackets per side, one for the light allowing for a free range of adjustment and also a bracket to fit under the mirrors. I've finished the design of the light bracket, but have not finished the mirror mount.

Is Smitty or Alex fabricating and selling their brackets?
Yes. I've lined up a laser cutter, tumbler, and powder coater. They will come in 2 seperate brackets per side, one for the light allowing for a free range of adjustment and also a bracket to fit under the mirrors. I've finished the design of the light bracket, but have not finished the mirror mount.
So will these brackets be two discrete units (mounted under each mirror) or a single big bracket as depicted in Smity's pictures? I hope the answer is two discrete brackets, as I am not keen on the rail going across the front of the bike. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I have been running the heavier Solteks on the Skyway brackets for the past 68,000 miles over all but the likes Dalton Highway (Haul Road), AK with zero problems to date.

So will these brackets be two discrete units (mounted under each mirror) or a single big bracket as depicted in Smity's pictures? I hope the answer is two discrete brackets, as I am not keen on the rail going across the front of the bike. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I have been running the heavier Solteks on the Skyway brackets for the past 68,000 miles over all but the likes Dalton Highway (Haul Road), AK with zero problems to date.
These will be 2 discrete mounts. The first will allow this light to be mounted on anything. The factorys design really is lacking in the adjustment area and I've designed a simple clean solution that will utilize all 3 mouting areas. I'm doing this so that others can use this light on their bikes/trucks/atv's providing great stability.

The second bracket will allow the light to be positioned properly minimizing any tortional load experienced from any bumps. For now I'm trying to finish up mounts for our FJR and GSA's. My brother just mounted a set to his GSA and is REALLY impressed with them.

I have Garauld's brackets with the FF50s mounted on top of the bracket. It looks like these 4" might work if mounted from the bottom, but not having one to test or measure I just don't know. Wheen you say that they won't, were you referring to a typical top mount or either way? Thanks.

doctorj
Hey Doc

I just held one up next to my Garauld bracket that has a Hella DE micro mounted to it already and it looks like it might just fit mounted to the bottom, but barely. you might have to use some sort of standoff to get it away from the fairing so you could aim it.

I however think the bracket, as it is would bounce enough to make it unfeasible . YMMV.