Cheap Zumo alternative

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I bought the Garmin 755t on Costco.com for $225 shipped, and it works great, especially with Streets and trips, and it is one of the 12 Garmin models that accept downloadable customized maps using Mapsource or Streets and Trips.

But it is not waterproof (plus no XM and limited to 10 custom downloaded routes, though there is an easy work around: load them onto an SD card and import them as needed, erasing the ones you no longer need). Costco's sale ends in January, but Amazon also has them for $200 with free shipping.

Here's the solution for making the 755t waterproof and mounted on your FJR: an aluminum, lockable, waterproof RAM mount case. I would mount mine to one of those ram mounts that installs on my Heli Risers, or they make adaptors to install on your clutch cover. The case runs about $70.

RAM-B-101-AQ6-2T.jpg

So for under $300, you have an excellent GPS that accepts downloadable routes from online and Streets and Trips. Plus, it comes with a GTM 20 car charger, which has a built-in, free lifetime traffic antenna to spot traffic and reroute you around it! You would have to either plug it into the FJR's cigerette power adaptor, or like me, consider rigging up a direct wiring alternative.

If you don't need XM, this is a killer deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the 755t compare to the nuvi 550 which is waterproof? Thanks for the info.

doctorj

How does the 755t compare to the nuvi 550 which is waterproof? Thanks for the info.
doctorj
550 is smaller (duh)

755 has MP3

755 has audio out (headphone jack)

755 has FM transmitter (for MP3 and directions)

755 has lifetime traffic (via non-intrusive ad sponsorship)

755 has speed limit info

755 has lane-assist (and junction assist)

It has a handful of other useless features over the 550 that don't matter to us.

What it really boils down to: If you want to hear the spoken directions via an intercom/headset, you are gonna want the 755t over the 550.

I went the alternatives route. Yeah... you can do it if you want. And believe me, I'm a cheap a$$ and want to cut expenses anywhere I can. But sometimes it just makes more sense to push the money across the counter and get it done right the first time.

Unless you are some kind of a whack-job mega-long-distance touring guy (in which case you should be buying those high bucks marine GPS'es) you really can't go wrong with a Zumo. Baleemee, I tried.

What's funny is that after all this time, the Zumo 550 is still the de facto standard in motorcycle GPS'es.

You'd think that someone (even Garmin?) would have come up with a muy bueno mousetrap by now.

Oh well...

I'll stick with the 2730 and a paper map, with them I can do a pretty darn good job of getting lost! And that's the fun of riding. Although it might be costing me a few friends. :lol: :lol:

doctorj
The zumo 550 (not nuvi) is the motorcycle version, yes? And that one does have bluetooth, xm, mp3 and some other stuff iirc.

I'm curious about the potential failure of the non-replaceable battery in the Nuvi 755T. Has anyone had experience in that regard? Also, I've read comments about bad touchscreens on some of them --- assume they'd be replaced under warranty, but some have reported a gradual degradation in touch screen accuracy over time. Has anyone experienced this with theirs? Thanks.

According to Garmin.com the Nuvi 550 has no audio output jack. Other than that it seems like a perfect choice.
Yeah, I don't listen to music nor want extra wiring to helmet (BTDT) and have two helmets for two bikes. I've got a streetpilot 2720 with up to date maps so really don't need a new GPS right now but always on the lookout. I guess I shoulda just looked up the 755t meself to compare.

doctorj

doctorj
The zumo 550 (not nuvi) is the motorcycle version, yes? And that one does have bluetooth, xm, mp3 and some other stuff iirc.
Yep, knew that, but the nuvi 550 being waterproof automatically puts it in contention for a motorcycle as well as a handheld if off the bike. The other thing about one you have to put in a case to waterproof it is you can't touch the screen and possible condensation etc. I don't really like the idea of having to put it into and take it out of a case. When I ride, I hate to stop to put on rain gear or mess with stuff like this--cuts down on my average time, :rolleyes: .

doctorj

According to Garmin.com the Nuvi 550 has no audio output jack. Other than that it seems like a perfect choice.
Yeah, I don't listen to music nor want extra wiring to helmet (BTDT) and have two helmets for two bikes. I've got a streetpilot 2720 with up to date maps so really don't need a new GPS right now but always on the lookout. I guess I shoulda just looked up the 755t meself to compare.

doctorj

IMO, any GPS is completely useless on a motorcycle without the sound being piped into the rider's ear.

Trying to look at the GPS screen while navigating a route is a sure recipe for disaster.

I had a 780 for a year or so and previously had a Nuvi 200 which I used on the bike, I used ye ol Ziploc bag and a rubber band for the waterproofing so here are my impressions

Pros:

Cheap

Can upload routes on the 780

The bag makes it waterproof, I rode through a few Monsoons and it was fine

MSN traffic reports and speed limits are actually pretty accurate.

Cons:

If you need to take it down in a rain storm it can get very wet

When the baggie is on the unit in sun, it can be hard to read

Hardwire kits are additional

the wiring kits are not waterproof...

It was fine for a while, but in the end, yesterday I ordered a Zumo550 Didn't get the XM reciever yet, but it does have MP3 and Bluetooth, I am going to pair my blackberry to it, and run the output to my Starcomm, should work like a charm :)

I use a Nuvi 770 with a baggie over it in the rain and have not had problems in over a year of use.

I don't need/want sound piped to my ear. What I want is to know is I should be ready to turn in N miles and to show me alternate routes if I want to go there. And I want to be able to carry the unit in my pocket when I am walking and to use the same unit in the car.

No problem touching the screen with the baggie over it.

The difference between the Nuvi and the Zumo will pay for a LOT of miles of riding in gasoline costs..

The difference between the Nuvi and the Zumo will pay for a LOT of miles of riding in gasoline costs..
Not so far as you might imagine. Difference is about $300 +/-.

That won't even get you from Key West to Anchorage one way, fer chris'sakes...

(just counting gas, nevermind tires, oil, etc, etc...)

The difference between the Nuvi and the Zumo will pay for a LOT of miles of riding in gasoline costs.
This is exactly the way I view these (or any electronic) devices now. With falling prices and considering that most units are obsolete 3 - 6 months after you take it home, it doesn't make sense (to me) to pay the big bucks anymore. If a Nuvi is dropped or gets wet and ruined...so what. Buy another one with more *features* for less than you paid for the old one. I upgrade the SO's cage unit every year or so and transfer the old one to the bike.

--G