Cheeseland Camping Overnighter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, as I've been helping one of my boys get a bike this spring I hadn't had a chance to get the FJR out this year. I figured I would do a camping overnight up der in Visconsin, as supposedly there is a camping meet somewhere sometime in May that I will need to get ready for.

So here are some pictures of my ride through rural IL and WI for you to peruse...

Loaded down

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip001.jpg

How do you work this camera thingy?

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip003.jpg

Some cute little barnyard animals just on the outskirts of Orangeville, IL on Rock Grove road.

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip007.jpg

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip002.jpg

There's some chickens in there somewheres...

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip005.jpg

Overlook above Gays Mill, WI on WI 171

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip010.jpg

Looking down on WI 131 heading north from Gays Mill

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip011.jpg

The Mighty Mississippi at a bend in the river

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip013.jpg

Arrived at my camping destination of Wildcat Mtn State park on WI 33

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip015.jpg

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip018.jpg

I hear there is a twisty or two in the vicinity

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip016.jpg

Went out for some more riding after the tent was set up, headed east towards Hillsboro, WI.

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip024.jpg

Stopped at a road side marker near Hillsboro...

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip021.jpg

Some shots as the sun makes it's own trip down past the horizon

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip020.jpg

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip022.jpg

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip023.jpg

So here's the camping setup...

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip026.jpg

I found out from this little excursion that my shoulder and rib injuries (from my 2008 get off) are making it impossible to sleep on the foam pad I used to use with ease on my camping trips. Oh well, I will find something else to sleep on. It also got pretty chilly, 40 degrees in the tent, and I'll admit I was a bit too cavalier in my packing...I mean come on, this is just an overnight right? :) Well, between the shoulder and the cold temps I slept in fits during the night. I ended up putting on my riding gear to stay warm...that worked for staying warm...but not for sleeping as the armor was in the wrong places -for sleeping- and made for pressure spots. Anyways, I learned my lesson. :( The upside is that the stars were GREAT up there...haven't seen stars like that around Wheaton since I was a tyke. The owls were quite vocal, as well as the coyotes yipping at each other. :rolleyes: It made for interesting music for this suburban boy. Would have been even better if it wasn't 4:30 am.

Here's a morning snapshot of the bike from inside the tent

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip027.jpg

Anyways, here are some miscellaneous photos from the ride home...

West of Boaz along WI 171

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip029.jpg

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip030.jpg

On 171 just a mile farther down the road

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip031.jpg

Along WI 60, next to the north bank of the Wisconsin River

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip035.jpg

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip034.jpg

FIN

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out from this little excursion that my shoulder and rib injuries (from my 2008 get off) are making it impossible to sleep on the foam pad I used to use with ease on my camping trips. Oh well, I will find something else to sleep on. It also got pretty chilly, 40 degrees in the tent, and I'll admit I was a bit too cavalier in my packing...I mean come on, this is just an overnight right? :)
Long ago I gave up on those self inflating type air pads and got an inflatable air mattress.

You need yourself one of these...

41GA6XJGX1L._SS500_.jpg

I'll bet she'd help keeping warm too :eek:mg:

You shoulda put on your heated gear, threw the rainfly across the FJR, cranked that baby up and used it as a recliner.

It's hell to get old, sleeping on the ground in the cold just don't get it.

When you go to the BlueRidge campground tell Phil you want one side of the trailer, it;s split in two and each side has it's own bathroom.

I was on the BRP friday and there was a closure about 5 miles north of 215. Was a little chilly up there 37 degrees but clear.

I think when you have your gathering it might be open by then.

nice pics.

Nice pics and entertaining ride report. I plan to ride that area in June. If I'd have known you were doing the ride, I might have headed north to meet up.

That's pretty country there. But the photo with the chickens kind of looked like you might have made it down to Missouri. Love the license plate motif on the chicken coop.

B)

Nice pics and entertaining ride report. I plan to ride that area in June. If I'd have known you were doing the ride, I might have headed north to meet up.
That's pretty country there. But the photo with the chickens kind of looked like you might have made it down to Missouri.

B)
Hey Skip,

I'll come down by your place sometime after the camping meet...and we can head down to SE Missouri for a day or so.

Sweet pics. You're like Jeremiah Johnson.

Rick's right. An air mattress is what you're going to need.

Once you freeze your nuts all night you'll never do that again. :cold:

I guarantee you'll bring too much the next time. I always do... :p

'

Sweet pics. You're like Jeremiah Johnson.
Rick's right. An air mattress is what you're going to need.

Once you freeze your nuts all night you'll never do that again. :cold:

I guarantee you'll bring too much the next time. I always do... :p

'
I'll look into the air mattress thingy.

As cold as I was last night...not even close to my worst episode. But that's a dumbass story for another time...

I'll look into the air mattress thingy.
As cold as I was last night...not even close to my worst episode. But that's a dumbass story for another time...
If you get the air mattress, get one from Wally World and carry the receipt with you. In my experience they last about ten nights, and you can exchange it within 30 days.

Oh yeah .. they xfer heat from you to the ground. Good on humid midwestern nights, but when it's cold, a thin layer of insulation will help a lot .. like an army issue surplus wool blanket cut to the size of the mattress.

WheatonFJR,

The one with the tent brought back fond childhood memories of camping with the family during summer. My late father did his Ph.D at Pittsburgh and he would take us camping and fishing every summer.

Unfortunately, here in Malaysia, there's not much by way of camping - at least not as convenient as it is in the US.

Thanks for sharing.

Nik.

Here's the thing for ya: Exped air mattress. I bought the "Synmat 7" (synmat has synthetic fill, downmat has--what else?--down). With down you might save an ounce or something, but hey, we're not backpackers. Does it insulate you from the cold ground? Check. And best of all, it has a built-in pump that works nice and easy. And fast. Amazingly comfortable.

Now this thing is expensive--I paid $119 at REI, but they have a very liberal return policy, if it should fail you. Read the linked review. It also dumps the air out very fast and easily and folds/rolls up into a very small package for carrying on the bike. I loved my Thermarest, but this one is better.

Wheat

As said , that Exped Synmat looks like the way to go for an air pad.

I have a bad back so I'm taking a travel cot. A bit of overkill, but If I wake up in the AM feeling good then it's worth it.

I'm going to look like a Gypsy :blink: going down the road with all my stuff, but at camp I will be comfy. :beach:

Mark, my camping gear is gonna get tested for the first time when I set it up in NC next month. I guess I'll find out how comfy (or uncomfy) it is then.

Looks like you had a nice ride

Mark, my camping gear is gonna get tested for the first time when I set it up in NC next month. I guess I'll find out how comfy (or uncomfy) it is then.Looks like you had a nice ride
Make sure you bring more than enough clothing for nighttime. It might get plenty chilly at altitude.