Cheeseland Camping Overnighter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's good to know he isn't just being a weenie. :D
<dead stare> :D

Mark, you bought the same Thermarest I use. The Basecamp has a really high R-rating, something like 6 or 7. I was warm and comfy that night last May, though I forgot my toque. The only issue with the Basecamp is the width. Its a full size mattress and you get a perfect view of it in your rear view mirrors. Pick yourself up a cheap dry bag and pack it in that. It'll stay clean and won't wear holes in itself from the wind causing it to flap.

Thanks for the tip!
Tip Part deux:

By an XL dry bag. Theirs enough room leftover inside with the thermarest for your off bike foot wear. It won't take up valuable luggage space and they stay dry in there.

IMG_0306.jpg

You can see my on bike camping setup here. My entire camp kit is on the passenger seat. Everything fits in the blue kayaking bag (waterproof) except the thermarest. Thats in the yellow dry bag strapped on top. Doing his impression of a squirrel with a mouthful of beef jerky is Moosehead somewhere deep in the bowels of Michigan or Wisconsin on our way to CFR last year.

Thanks for the ride report. Enjoyed it. It's fun to see pics of other states, but also to see other people's idea of what to take a picture of. Emjoyed the barn animals, as I'm sure Bust did. :D

I have a ThermaRest pad that I use for work. Just spent 5 nights in the field, no issues with discomfort (other than the normal, daily issues /w my back). Money well spent.

BTW, I ended up ordering a ThermaRest Base Camp sleeping pad (large-25 inches wide).clicky
I couldn't see spending the big bucks as one of the reasons I'm camping this year is due to lack of funds. I also did not want to hoist around an air pump for an air mattress...so I got the "self-inflating" kind of pad. $80 is more than I wanted to spend, but it is a compromise between the more expensive and the less expensive solutions. It's gotta be better than the partial length 3/4" foam pad I have now...I'll let you know after the camping meet whether it was good enough.

Thanks Bungie for the tips...I really hope you can make the meet. I'm sure Rob isn't going to be able to heft all the beer by himself. ;)

I plan on putting the sleeping pad, sleeping pad, and tent inside the NorthFace duffle I have. I plan on using my mcy jacket in a pillow case for my pillow.

Thanks Bungie for the tips...I really hope you can make the meet. I'm sure Rob isn't going to be able to heft all the beer by himself. ;)
I plan on putting the sleeping pad, sleeping pad, and tent inside the NorthFace duffle I have. I plan on using my mcy jacket in a pillow case for my pillow.
I'm still trying to make the meet. Getting a parent into full time care up here is nearly impossible. Oh Rob can haul a lot of beer. But the DUI charge would probably be excessive :D My buddy with the Kwacker 1700 is going regardless - he's under strict instructions to haul at least a case down.

I picked up a little foamie pillow thats covered in genuine fake mouse fur at Crappy Tire for like $6. For packing I throw it in a ziploc freezer bag, sit on it, then zip the bag up. Packs to near nothing. Much better than a bike jacket!