Chicken Strips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken strips = the unused portion of your tire (not including the sidewall). Slang for how far you can lean your bike over or are you too chicken??? Hence, chicken strips.

I got no chicken strips. :bleh:
Liar!! :eek: Ha ha. I was dragging the pegs on my new bike and there're still some chicken strips on my Z6 tires (less than 1/4"). Maybe with other rounder tires, like D220s, they'd be gone by now. And no, I wasn't going that fast; these bikes are limited on cornering clearance to increase comfort, and am perfectly fine with the compromise. Bike also feels rock solid, which makes it easy to go faster in the curves than other similar bikes. I liked it very much.

So don't worry buddy; seems like all FJR owners are part of the chicken strip club :D ... at least in stock form. Later.

JC

What about any of the '03 to '05 FJR riders that may still have the original MEZ4s? It is possible to have virtually no chicken stripe with these tires.

What about any of the '03 to '05 FJR riders that may still have the original MEZ4s? It is possible to have virtually no chicken stripe with these tires.
I be one of those guys. Bought the bike 3 weeks ago with 2350miles and now has 6,000. That averages about 1,000 a week by my calculations. :clapping: Anyhooo, The original tires (MEZ4's) had several inches of chicken strips until I've ridden her. Still have 1/4" on the left side but scrubbed the right side in nicely. Of course I did need to grind the peg feelers down a little while riding some of the corners. :assassin: but it is possible to use the whole tire.

I think I'll try the Conti Road Attack 190's next. My goal is to get a taller center and a wider strip of rubber on the pavement during leans, and the 190's will provide that on our 6" rims.

The new design tires like the MEZ-6, Diablos, Pilots, etc. are impossible to get all the chickens stripes off. Heck, even if your FJR was lying on its side :eek: you still couldn't get the whole tread.

Around 500 miles on the new BT-021's and rear on the right side has no chicken strip while the left has maybe 1/4".

For the first time ever I'm actually using the whole tread on the front. Haven't scraped a peg yet thanks to Wilber. B)

stormstrip.jpg

The new design tires like the MEZ-6, Diablos, Pilots, etc. are impossible to get all the chickens stripes off. Heck, even if your FJR was lying on its side :eek: you still couldn't get the whole tread.

Hmm. Don't tell that to me. I have my Power Pilots to the point of no chicken strips. Hmph!

I don't know why, but I seem to have em! Anyone who has ridden with me will tell you I hardely take it easy in the twisteis, but for some reason, my "Storm" logos are looking pretty new????

Maybe I just don't have tight enough roads to lean that far very often???

Drop the air pressure to 34 psi, load up all three bags, and pick up that hefty maiden that's been eyeing you for a ride. The tires will "roll" off enough to rub all the chicken strips away. Just don't blame me if you slip into a coma.

:)