Christmas Farkeling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanfjr

Reaction score
I got money for christmas and have decided to purchase a new Cee Bailey Windshield. I have pretty well decided on a +5+3 shield. I currently have an ahamay shield. (the bigger one then stock) I have to duck my head about an inch or so to get the wind noise to diminish. I am a little concerned that the size might be bigger then I will like. I am also considering the Ice Blue for my 05 FJR. Has anyone seen the ice blue on the pretty blue 05 fjr? Any thoughts and/or input will be appreciated. John

you don't say how tall you are so it's hard to say.

I am 5'8" and use the CB +2+2 with flip and it is perfect for me - I can put it down and get air and up and be in a nice pocket.

You get one too tall and you can never get air flow over you in hot conditions.

I got money for christmas and have decided to purchase a new Cee Bailey Windshield. I have pretty well decided on a +5+3 shield.  Any thoughts and/or input will be appreciated.
Well...... I personally wouldn't get the uber-tall windscreen, because you will *always* have to push that barn door through the air at all times, whether you need the protection or not. This robs you of gas mileage and accelleration performance.

I would get the *wider* screen for the superior coverages on shoulders/outer arms. Then, in situations where you want more protection (rain, extreme cold, etc), you could use the stock electric windscreen motor :D to raise the screen as high as needed. When the adverse weather is gone, you can lower it back to it's normal position, and enjoy the benefits of not pushing a barn door down the road.

Now, of course, if you are referring to eliminating all traces of helmet buffeting in normal everyday use, well, that's a different story....

Last edited by a moderator:
I got money for christmas and have decided to purchase a new Cee Bailey Windshield. I have pretty well decided on a +5+3 shield. I currently have an ahamay shield. (the bigger one then stock) I have to duck my head about an inch or so to get the wind noise to diminish. I am a little concerned that the size might be bigger then I will like. I am also considering the Ice Blue for my 05 FJR. Has anyone seen the ice blue on the pretty blue 05 fjr? Any thoughts and/or input will be appreciated. John
I've got the +4+2 myself and at 6'4" it's just right for me compared to the stocker. Better flow in all of the positions and my shoulders got some serious relief. In all out hot weather I put the stocker back on.

I think I lost maybe 1/2 mph with the shield, but tried testing a couple of times and couldn't substantiate it with any scientific degree of accuracy. My top end didn't seem to suffer either which surprised me with also the addition of some mondo big FF200 lights, but maybe the bike is broken in now and performing better. I got a 149 GPS reading a couple months ago in the high desert with the CB on.

Blue? That's tougher. I saw one and it's definitely blue, but not the same blue as the bike. To me it looked like it matched as close as a blue tarp matches the Galaxy Blue....which is to say not at all. I didn't say to myself, "That's ugly." I more accurately thought "That doesn't match, but it looks kinda cool."

I'm a fan of the dark smoke though.

I am 5"10" tall. I hadn't thought about the "barn door" idea. Makes plenty of sense though. I appreciate the info about the blue color. I saw a pic with the blue on the 05 but couldn't tell very well how it looked. I will take a second look at the dark smoke.

Now, of course, if you are referring to eliminating all traces of helmet buffeting in normal everyday use, well, that's a different story....
Helmet buffeting is exactly my problem. I have 8K on my '05, and I've finally decided I need to do something about the buffeting and related noise with the stock screen. I'm wondering whether to just get the biggest barn door Cee Bailey's offers (+4, +4 over stock '05) or try to guess the smallest one that will minimize, if not totally eliminate, the buffeting problem. I'm 5' 11'' and not too wide. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I kind of like that blue color, too.

Ed

I'm 5' 11" and I have a C B +4 +3 with a light grey tint when the screen is all the way up I am looking at the top edge of the screen so I put it down about an inch I think a +3 would be about right for me.