Chrome Wheels!!! Look Here!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like the plated look???

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Hell yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not in my lifetime

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What's that little box in front of your Lic plate?
It is a small pelican case. It is waterproof, and I have a tire repair kit in it. I cannot remember the guys name from the other board who came up with it. I have 5 co2 tubes, the plugs, tire plug tools, ect in there. Plus there is a little room for other things... :D

I would definately keep an eye on them for possible cracking. I had a friend who cracked a wheel after chroming. Something to consider.

I'm not a bling-bling guy, but I have to admit those chrome rims look pretty good. Curious to see what the Galaxy Blue will look like with 'em.

Actually I'm more interested in your seat. Who's the manufacturer?

Imagine how they'd look on a Galaxy Blue with a set of blueflame mufflers.

Nick

Outbackoz

I'm not a bling-bling guy, but I have to admit those chrome rims look pretty good. Curious to see what the Galaxy Blue will look like with 'em.
Actually I'm more interested in your seat. Who's the manufacturer?
Is a Rick Mayer seat... :)

Two more questions smitty:

1. What was the preparation required of the wheels before chroming? IIRC, and I am too lazy to go downstairs out to the garage to look, but dont the stock rims have a somewhat rough finish under the paint? That had to be made smooth prior to plating, I would assume.

2. What sliders are those? If they are R&Gs, aren't they in a different place than usual?

-BD

1. What was the preparation required of the wheels before chroming? IIRC, and I am too lazy to go downstairs out to the garage to look, but dont the stock rims have a somewhat rough finish under the paint? That had to be made smooth prior to plating, I would assume.
2. What sliders are those? If they are R&Gs, aren't they in a different place than usual?

BrunDog, The only thing I had to do is remove the cush drive and the bearings. I think they would do it, but charge extra for it.. Also, the plating co. strips the paint, and grind/smooths the wheels. If you look at a set of stock wheels you will see part #, arrows, casting dates, ect. All of that stuff if removed and smoothed by the plater.

The sliders are R+G, and I hope the are in the right place. They use a motor mount bolt hole..I did have to drill the side panels.. :cownoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like others I think they would look great on a Cobalt Blue (or Red!). They also look very similar to the wheels I had chromed on my Warrior (front is an 18" vs. 17" though). Had mine done for a little over $600 on an exchange program - your price is great and I would probably get 'er done if I end up with the new 06. Gotta sell the Warrior first though. The wife gave the OK for 2 bikes (also have a Roadie) but 3 is out of the question.
Friaco, that is a gorgeous Warrior you have; hope you get some good $$$$$ for the worthy beast. We gotta get together soon for another ride with the boys!!

Methinks a Feejer would suit you nicely, as you like the fast moving on that big V twin.

On topic, I really like those chromed FJR wheels, GREAT price. I just am not ready for the chrome bug, again.

What sliders are those? If they are R&Gs, aren't they in a different place than usual?
The sliders are R+G, and I hope the are in the right place.
Re: R&G Sliders - Correct Location?

(Assuming R&G hasn't changed their design): I hate to tell you this, but no they aren't. They go lower and on the forward, large V area of the fairing. When bought through Bike Johnny, they come with a template so that mounting is very straight forward. Where you have them mounted leaves them tucked way inside of areas that will get smashed in a drop/slide.

Here's the typical installation location (from the Bikes-N-Spikes web site):

armor01.jpg

Bounce, I was sitting on the fence as far as mounting goes. Mine did not come with a template. I would hold them to the lower hole, then to the upper. I think in the real world crash, they don't do a lot. The mag cover, lower fairing ect. is going to be skinned all to hell. I am not sure why I even have them...O..they were a gift. They are only maybe 2" from were the Moko's mount. I guess the bottom line is everyone else is wrong.... :bleh: Just kiddin... I thought everyone else had highway pegs... Hey, if I fall down I will let everyone know how they work!!! :clap:

Like others I think they would look great on a Cobalt Blue (or Red!).  They also look very similar to the wheels I had chromed on my Warrior (front is an 18" vs. 17" though).  Had mine done for a little over $600 on an exchange program - your price is great and I would probably get 'er done if I end up with the new 06.  Gotta sell the Warrior first though.  The wife gave the OK for 2 bikes (also have a Roadie) but 3 is out of the question.
Friaco, that is a gorgeous Warrior you have; hope you get some good $$$$$ for the worthy beast. We gotta get together soon for another ride with the boys!!

Methinks a Feejer would suit you nicely, as you like the fast moving on that big V twin.

On topic, I really like those chromed FJR wheels, GREAT price. I just am not ready for the chrome bug, again.
Thanks for the compliments Centerline - I thought my 'chrome bug' would be squashed if I went the route of the FJR - then after finding this forum I discovered it is replaced by the farkle monster! Those wheels would sure look good on a blue one! Come on 9/28!

Smitty, I really like the wheels. You may have started a trend for several here on the board.

Re: Bounces pic shows the correct placement of the R&G's, and I know 1st hand that they work very well. They are not designed to keep the plastic from scratching in a lowside but to keep the bike rideable. Now if you were to just lay it over turning around in a parking lot or moving slowly, they will do a good job of protection. But in a mjor get off they are designed to improve your chances of not grinding thru the engine covers etcc....

I saw a picture of a bike that had been laid over at 45mph. The R&G's were scraped half way down the mushroom but no real damage to the side of the bike.

Glenn

But unfortunately their current placement won't offer alot of prtection.

Re: Bounces pic shows the correct placement of the R&G's, and I know 1st hand that they work very well. They are not designed to keep the plastic from scratching in a lowside but to keep the bike rideable. Now if you were to just lay it over turning around in a parking lot or moving slowly, they will do a good job of protection. But in a mjor get off they are designed to improve your chances of not grinding thru the engine covers etcc.
I saw a picture of a bike that had been laid over at 45mph. The R&G's were scraped half way down the mushroom but no real damage to the side of the bike.
Yep. There have been several photos over the years of FJRs that have been saved by some heavy duty sliders that otherwise would have been on the tow truck.

Well, I guess I have some hole pluggin to do. Wheres the gray (duct) tape when you need it.. :assasin:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Who"s going to to keep the funk (shine) on those wheels ? They look absolutely beautiful. Are you going to run an add in the paper for a min wage job for a poilisher?

Kudos!!!!! they look great who did the plating and when did you have them done? Any guarantee?