Cleaning Helmet Shield With Pledge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I was visiting a friend over the Labor Day weekend and he noticed all of the bugs on my helmet shield. He got out an old can of Pledge, the stuff made for dusting furniture, and cleaned the shield with it using a soft rag. Did a great job without scratching. I think it has some silicon in it which serves to fill the minor scratches that cause glare. It was a brown can without 'lemon' or any other extra stuff. He said he had been using it for many years without a problem. Maybe I'll try it on the wind screen once I buy a can for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used it for years on my helmet face shield and bike windshields. Works great, altho I don't use it for cleaning purposes. I clean the shield and windshields by placing a wet cloth over them and let it sit for 15 minutes to soften the bugs and other "impactions", then rinse it off. After drying, I spray Pledge on and wipe it dry with a soft cloth. The slight scratches and imperfections just disappear and the shield/windshield stays clean much longer.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

I use Plexus, which was designed for aircraft windshields- but Pledge also leaves a slight wax coating, so the next layer of bugs comes off a little easier.

I've been cruising through a rest area and seen a herd of LeadThing riders, all out in their satin jackets, cleaning the front of their bikes with cloth diapers and cans of Pledge... Me in my crusty (used to be hi-viz, might still be, under all the dirt and bug guts) 'stich on a bike that might be some sort of bluish-silver...

I use the wet towel for the really heavy stuff, then follow it up with the plexus. Works great. Then again, not a lot of bugs in AZ.

Based on the recommendations of others, I used pledge on one bike. the shield, the helmet face shield, etc.
It ate off the hard coating on the shield and ruined it. Never again.

Use furniture polish on furniture. Use stuff designed for wind screens and face shields for cleaning same. Why save pennies and cost yourself dollars?
Exactly.

Pledge will eat through the coating on newer shields. The older shields had no problem because they didn't have all these fancy new coatings on them.

And yes, another vote for Plexus.

Cleans the whole bike too. ;)

I've never heard of this "eat through the coating" problem. I've used Pledge for years on Arai, HJC, and Shoei shields and never noted any problem.

- Mark

I usually just wash the whole bike to clean the windsheild, using the soak with a cloth method for stubborn bug-guts. I usally take the face sheild off my HJC and wash with dishwashing liquid, in the kitchen sink (warm..not hot water). I will, if I'm in a hurry, use Lemon Pledge on both and have done so for many years on many different brands of windsheilds and facesheilds, with no problems. I use "lemon" only because that is what I happen to have around the house.

Brian

I learned about Lemon Pledge by riding with a local BMW chapter (fraternizing with the enemy!) They all used it for years and swear by it.

Worked great. I used Plexus and now i'm using Honda cleaner.

I do miss the lemon fresh scent!

I find that it works just fine on the bikes and the helmets. Wife bought some orange-scented shit that is a cleaner supposedly as well. I'm happy with it...

John.

A friend of mine has used Pledge for a couple of years on his windsheld with no problems at all. Plus he has used it to clean my helmet shield a couple of times and the bugs just slide right off. :D

I don't know who to give the credit to, but I learned on this board about a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. It was recommended for a substance to loosen bugs out of the radiator. It works for that, and for anywhere else too. I also use hot water poured over a towell that is draped over target clean area.

I've been using Pledge for years.

The Lemon attracts bees..........so now I have switched to the Orange

I take bugs off with wet papertowel...just put it on your visor for a few minutes, that's all you need to do.

Same works for car windscreen, cover it with newspaper, make it wet, wait a while and they are gone...

I think this whole Plexus / Pledge thing started with the scent. If you have the two, spray them and notice. They smell identical. My wife, after smelling my Plexus, took it and sprayed it on the furniture. She swears it is the same stuff. Not being a chemist, I don't know. They do smell the same, though.