Clearwater Erica / Darla LED Vs. Soltek HID

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Several have asked how I like my new Erica Clearwater lights.

I'll keep it short n' sweet.

1. They don't have as much long range illumination as Solteks.
  2. The pattern up front is superior to Solteks. I'm running Erias on top, Darlas down below.
  3. Then again, Solteks are on or off, most of the time off due to oncoming traffic. Clearwaters are dimmable, making then useful all the time and I've yet to have a car flash lights at me or get flipped off.
  4. Clearwaters turn fully on with high beam activation. I really like this. The difference between fully on with dimmer and truly fully on with high beam activation is approx 15% more.
  5. Clearwater Erica's are much lighter than Solteks and should not cause inner front stay damage. (I broke 3 subframes using Solteks)
  6. For some reason, having the Darlas on has calmed the erratic voltage readings on my X85 radar detector / voltmeter. It used to fast fluctuate between 13.8 and 14.3. Now the reading is rock solid at 14.2, 14.3. Perhaps it's just enough load to keep the regulator regulating vs. turning off.
  7. LES's beat the crap out of HID's as they are instant on. HID's have warm-up time on initial power up.
  8. Overall, even if the Solteks didn't cause subframe damage, I still prefer the Clearwater lights. Too many advantages vs. just one small disadvantage (not as far of 'reach' with light) - but still way more than enough.
The end.

Very nice write up. I have krista(s) on the '05 and as soon as I have the cash, it will be Erica(s) on the '08.

I agree with the dim to 15% being useful. In traffic I run mine on 15% and hit the brights for full power when in the clear.

It is easy to transition from one to the other.

Nice writeup indeed! Almost went HID last year, but so glad I waited for my Erica's! Having a minor problem with pulsing and flickering on the low beam setting right now, after driving through one hell of a rainstorm I started to et a random 20-30% flicker that drives me nuts. Consensus is I got water inside the "volume control" rheostat and its giving the controller whack signals. Guys at CW have been awesome, sending me a new rheostat and if that doesn't work, swapping the lights out.

Overall I love the lights and they are plenty of volume for max speed interstate night driving. No complaints at all, glad I popped for the Erica's instead of Krista like I was going to...

I like the Erica's also BUT a couple of stray things left out of your comparison...

CW Erica's are 60-watts ea.

HID's are only 35-watts ea.

*Huge difference in power consumption, almost twice as much.

Plus, a digital AC ballast set (Japanese, no Chinese crap) driven HID's are instant gas charged without hardly any "lamp-up" visual notice.

Dollar for dollar, HID is still your best value (if done right), but the dimming capability mentioned of the LED's is mighty kool :)