Clearwater Lighting at Chicago IMS tradeshow Feb. 8-10, also a possible future Group Buy!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linc, they were quoting prices on the new lights and taking orders from motorcycle owners, so I assume they are for motorcycles. Since I wasn't ordering the newer lights I didn't ask about delivery dates. They were discounting the new lights but not nearly as much as the Glendas and Kristas. I asked if they were discontinuing the older lights and they said no, but I'll bet the Glendas and Kristas will be dropped once the inventory of the new lights is deep and the older inventory is low. The new lights are slightly larger than the older ones and they looked considerably brighter. I've seen the Glendas and Kristas in operation on FJRs and I'm not second guessing my choice so far.

Slardy, A lot of people have lights mounted to the front fender mounting position on the forks and it seems that the people who do have problems are the people who tried to get by with cheap lights.

Well, since he's selling them now. . . The new lights are indeed at least twice as bright as the Kristas. I mean they're damn bright. I saw them briefly, so I can't describe them real accurately, but they have more--and brighter--LEDs in them than the Kristas. I'm thinking five. Since all his lights are given female names after people there (e.g. Glenn and Chris), these are called "Darlas," for his fiancee, Darlene. More money, yep (don't know how much). I think they're a little larger, but not a lot. And since they're adjustable, the extra brightness can still be tamed down to usable level on the streets, like all the others. The Kristas, to me, are all the brightness I need or ever would, but if I did Iron Butt Rallies or anything. . .

As for vibration and fork mounting, Slardy--well, there's no filament, and they're very well designed and made. Mine (the Glendas) are coming up on three years old, mounted on the forks. ZERO trouble. I'm kind of proud to have the first pair on any FJR. BTW, it's sometimes nice, when stopped, to turn the bars and sweep the lights over something you want to illuminate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay Mike, the Darlas sound like something I'd be interested in... the words "too much light" haven't ever left my mouth when it comes to vehicular lighting. I've never been comfortable at interstate speeds on a bike, over 45 I just feel I'm outdriving my safety margin of lighting and it's down to last minute reaction over planned avoidance. Not a good feeling, and after 2 misses with deer last fall I'm not excited to keep rolling the dice.

Looking forward to seeing what those new flamethrowers are gonna $$$...

I just found the Clearwater brochure I got at the show.

old Glenda: 800 lumens, 12 watts

new Darla: 2000 lumens, 20 watts

old Krista: 2400 lumens, 36 watts

new Erica: 6000 lumens, 60 watts

All are adjustable between 20 to 80% of power for bike's low beam setting and go 100% when the bike's high beam is engaged.

I'm not sure, but I think the new lights are at least $100 more than the old versions. The brochure says the new lights will be available Spring 2013.

I avoid night riding due to close calls with deer so I'll make due with the Glendas and Kristas for now. If I make that desired 6-7 thousand mile trip this summer, I'll add a pair of Ericas just in case I end up late at night on some mountain or desert road.

@TangoSierra... Erica is definitely my new leading lady! 6K lumens is a huge step up from 2.4K, and for the extra cost you are getting more than twice the light output.

Even the Darla is a good light as its much closer to Erica in lumen output at (I would assume) a cheaper price point.

Without knowing the beam pattern, I'll wait and see. The Krista's put out great light, like a super duper high beam. Up, down, left, and right. I don't think a brighter light that puts the light everywhere will be that great of a improvement vs the Krista's. But these guys put out a great product so I'm sure the lens will be designed for down the road vision as well the sides.

Before this goes too far off into "wouldn't it be loverly," here's some news from Clearwater Central (I rode out there today). The info about the Darlas and Ericas is right, as given above. I had the name wrong, the Darlas are the smaller ones.

Both new lights are the exact same size as the two older styles, so they use the same housings; they're just brighter. A LOT! Maybe you could call them Gen II LEDs. Glenn had all four models mounted side-by-side on a demo board and blasted them at me. Those little Darlas put out almost as much light as the Kristas, and that's a hell of a lot. And when the Ericas went up to full, it was amazing. I was half blinded for a while. You saw the numbers above, and they're real. They began shipping today--at least the Ericas--and the others will follow real soon.

One other thing, the light pattern all these lights project is one of their strengths, and the new lights will not change that. They all project a round cone of light, with most of the light in the center. With this pattern, leaning into a turn doesn't tilt the light pattern, but projects even brightness through the whole turn and into the bushes and hiding places where the deer are. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I too have been riding with the Glenda's and enjoy the extra light. I just replaced my main bulbs with Morimoto bulbs (5000kH4P) and ballasts to get 5000 lumens at 35 watts. These HID's have a hood with survos behind the bubs that act like high beams! They are $160 bucks for bulbs, ballasts and come with FJR wiring at www.hidplanet.com.

I plan on adding Krista's but will check out the Erica's...HA! Can you imagine almost 12,000 lumens! What's that song? "Blinded by the light! Racked up like a deuce another runner in the night. Blinded by the light!"

Eeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyoooooooooonnnnnnn!

Just put a set on my bike. Glenns shop is right down the street from where I work. The lights are super bright and they look high quality. The new lights coming out next month are the ones like the Krista larger and under the mirror mount. The new ones have 6 lights instead of 3. I have the Glenda mounted on the forks. Really like that you can adjust with a turn knob how bright they are.

Hey everyone, just wanted to chime in and let y'all know this thread isn't dead! :) . Glenn at Clearwater has been swamped with the release of his new lights, he promised to get back with me sometime soon and there will be a group buy approved by him as soon as he has time to work it out.

Thanks to everyone who responded or PM'd me... we are sitting at around 11 seriously interested/committed buyers right now, that's great! Once it's a sure thing I will post both here and start a new thread in the Group Buy category.

Thanks again for your patience,

Abe

I'll be interested in adding the lights and mounts as well so include me in the group buy. Thanks for coordinating this. With the white stuff on the ground there is no problem waiting until things get organized. Just let us know when that happens. Thanks, Mike

I'm definitely interested. My Piaas use typo much power!Thanks!

Brian
That's the main reason I was interested in the Clearwater models to begin with, great light output and I'm not stuck using the vast majority of my extra wattage running HIDs or Halogen beams. Thanks for the interest, I'll keep you updated!

I'll be interested in adding the lights and mounts as well so include me in the group buy. Thanks for coordinating this. With the white stuff on the ground there is no problem waiting until things get organized. Just let us know when that happens. Thanks, Mike
Agreed, I just plowed another 12" out of the yard, banks are 6' on either side of the driveway in rural northern Michigan now... good grief!
uhoh.gif

How difficult is the wiring process? Do I need to add a fuse block, relays, etc.?
Wiring harness comes complete for the lights themselves, however a fuse block would probably be recommended for easy of access to fuses and overall system reliability and future upgrades. I ordered an Eastern Beaver fuzeblock and will be installing it with my Clearwater lights. I already have 3 power farkles and my poor battery is straining to even hold all the terminals stacked under my bolts! Not fun to try and access it either. Planning on installing the fuze block under the pillion seat.

It isn't a plug and play job, pulling your dash and some front panels is required, here is a good writeup of one way to install them. I'm doing it myself, but I'd rate myself a handy 8/10 on the wrench-o-meter.
punk.gif

Thanks guys,

Abe

Good news folks... GREEN LIGHT from Clearwater! I have pricing and info available now, look for an official post with information and purchase info tonight in the > Capitalism & Bartering > Group Buy > category.

Again, thank you all for your interest... we made it happen! Those of you who PM'd me directly, I'll be replying tonite to let you know and include the link to the new forum post.

Abe

Good news folks... GREEN LIGHT from Clearwater! I have pricing and info available now, look for an official post with information and purchase info tonight in the > Capitalism & Bartering > Group Buy > category.
Again, thank you all for your interest... we made it happen! Those of you who PM'd me directly, I'll be replying tonite to let you know and include the link to the new forum post.

Abe
Thanks for putting all of this together Abe. I'm definately game!!