• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy 2014 (Feb. 1st - Feb. 28th)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled the trigger on the Erica's!!!! Can't wait to light up the night! Ordered yesterday afternoon and got a tracking # showing a delivery tomorrow!! Thanks for the fast shipping clearwater!

Looking to get Erica or Krista. Trying to find the place on the forum so I know how many watts comes off my Gen 1 generator/stator. I ride all year so heated gear and possible grips are also possible on the list. Reviewing Bin of facts info under historical info.
The Gen1 has a 490 watt alternator. My calculations come to less than 290 watts to run the bike, not factoring in the fan. The fan is a manageable resource. If you're in a situation where your fan is on you can turn down/off your heated gear or turn off your aux lights. So that leaves at least 200 watts when riding of excess power. I run 2 sets of aux lights on my bike that total about 80 watts. And I can run my heated liner (77 watts) and heated gloves (27 watts) on full power with all lights on and never drop below 13.5 volts. That's 185 watts of accessories plus a few more for 2 GPS and radar detector.

Anyway, a pair of Kristas draws 70 watts. You'd be fine with those and heated gear. The Ericas pull 120 watts for a pair, so you might run into trouble when running them with heated gear. However, keep in mind, you can dim them to save power when needed. Just add a voltage meter to your bike so you can see the health of your charging system.

I thought LEDs draw far less watts than other type lamps? And this was one of the benefits to this type of light - especially on M/Cs.

Thanks

Steve, glad you like them! Haven't talked with anyone using Darlas yet... I guess they put out a lot from a small package. Here's to better visibility! :)

Got my Erica's installed today with my mirror extenders, a USB port and a fuzeblock. Took a little longer than I wanted due to the learning curve on taking apart my bike for the first time. Of course, this forum and its members was a huge help. I took some of your ideas.

I've still got to work on the aiming. Does anyone have some input on that? I've angled them down a small degree and made sure they aren't facing directly into traffic. It almost looks like they both are pointed a small amount inward.

Also, the volume knob mounting location I'm not too happy with. That may require some tweaking a little. I've got to look on the forum some more to see what you all have for that.

In any case, thanks to Linc for setting up the group buy. I'm ecstatic about these amazing lights.

3f595b1a5f7a7b34f27dbe03a63eb3f0_zps0938d69c.jpg

Full power:

a3eef07f3d28ffc3298d9354dab1517f_zpsa0b9d93f.jpg

Half-ish power

c49fc9df48022747306884cfdfc12f10_zpsa6ab8e3a.jpg

49d9abbcb9de74beae4bfbe8e858de9d_zpsdedb6ef8.jpg

4b24be3acf6bbeb5f4ea402f8c32db3c_zps8fba9f6a.jpg

Very nice SkySoldier! My Erica's are due in Wednesday. Did your brackets need any tweaking? The light aiming is recommended to be -5 degrees If

I can recall correctly. Where did you get the Double USB port? Is that the one from Powerlet? Were you thinking SPOT3 hookup?

BTW I like the stripes on your '10!

Very nice SkySoldier! My Erica's are due in Wednesday. Did your brackets need any tweaking? The light aiming is recommended to be -5 degrees IfI can recall correctly. Where did you get the Double USB port? Is that the one from Powerlet? Were you thinking SPOT3 hookup?BTW I like the stripes on your '10!
Hey Screaming Eagle,

You're going to love your Erica's. I can't believe the light output. Perfect for what i have planned this year. The brackets seemed pretty straight so I didn't mess with them that much. Do the brackets have issues?

I did read that the lights should be canted -5 degrees lower somewhere on the forum. I basically got everything working and maybe one of the nights this week I will be tweaking angles, and probably the volume knob somewhat.

The USB port I found by way of someone else on this forum. Check out this link: https://www.futurevisionhid.com/products/parts-accessories/waterproof-usb-power-supply.html Should be good for what I need it for, a phone and GPS charger and it was inexpensive. I've still got the glovebox power source also.

The SPOT3 sounds interesting. It may come in handy for the riding season. There are a few places I want to go where my phone will not work so...maybe! Funny how it never seems like I'm done adding things. I've just ordered some things from Garauld also. I hope after that, I should be close to where I want the bike..oh crap. Forgot about the Russell Seat..like I said, it's always something..

I like the stripes also. Just added them a month or so ago. It's been a busy winter!

Hey Soldier, (oops, that sounded a little awkward... try a different greeting next time)

Anyway, glad you're happy with your Ericas! I have a similar philosophy in lighting... buy the highest output you can afford and run with your charging system, then you find a happy output level for everyday driving yet still have that flamethrower output for long, dark slab sections late at night! ;)

I'm pleasantly surprised by the build quality of Clearwater stuff, better than Twisted Throttle and for sure the Chinese knockoff LEDs. You pay more but dang, their stuff is sexy!

I'm with you; the upgrades never end... just slows down a little. XD. I'm ahead of ya a bit and can say the Clearwaters, Russell DL, and good windshield make this bike a dream for long trips. I got a Spot 3 for my birthday this fall but haven't used it yet. Excited to try it out and still figuring out how to power it, probably use AAA for the first trip.

Happy tuning your lights and please come soon, spring! :)

Bought my Ericas last min. Be so glad to install after I get home from deployment.

I'm looking for location options for mounting the Clearwater dimmer control on a 2013. There's precious little space under the top/left fairing panel that is suggested for GenII's. I've done some preliminary investigating but have decided. Would welcome feedback from any '13/'14 owners that have completed their Clearwater installs already.

Thanks,

Gary

I'm looking for location options for mounting the Clearwater dimmer control on a 2013. There's precious little space under the top/left fairing panel that is suggested for GenII's. I've done some preliminary investigating but have decided. Would welcome feedback from any '13/'14 owners that have completed their Clearwater installs already.
Thanks,

Gary
I was going to try and fit it next to the heatsink (?) on the left panel that goes around the glovebox. I almost drilled but decided to look at the battery cover first. This is where I put it. It won't be easy to adjust under way, but I figure it will probably be set it and forget it.

If you pm me your email, I could snap a picture.

I was going to try and fit it next to the heatsink (?) on the left panel that goes around the glovebox. I almost drilled but decided to look at the battery cover first. This is where I put it. It won't be easy to adjust under way, but I figure it will probably be set it and forget it.

If you pm me your email, I could snap a picture.
Truth be told I went the route of the left side panel. But with hind site I should have put the hole as far forward as possible as the cover needs to be brought in from an angle to get the tab with the spring nut under the glove box panel. After putting the panel on/off a couple of times I must have 'finessed' it a bit too much and damaged the dimmer assembly. So before I move forward I was looking at what other folks might have come up with,

Thanks,

Gary

Had the Glendas on my 09, upgraded to Darlas on my 14ES with this great group buy.

Darlas on full power with the hi-beams on at noon on a bright sunny day . . . hoping this keeps me visible in everyone's mirrors . . .

IMAG1004.jpg

Had the Glendas on my 09, upgraded to Darlas on my 14ES with this great group buy.
Darlas on full power with the hi-beams on at noon on a bright sunny day . . . hoping this keeps me visible in everyone's mirrors . . .

IMAG1004.jpg
Looks like they should definitely see you!
punk.gif

The Darla's on "high" are sure brighter than the Glenda's, as well they should be.

Did you need to add some spacers/washers for the brackets to offset the countersunk holes in the front fender?

Last edited by a moderator:

IMAG1004.jpg
Looks like they should definitely see you!
punk.gif

The Darla's on "high" are sure brighter than the Glenda's, as well they should be.

Did you need to add some spacers/washers for the brackets to offset the countersunk holes in the front fender?
Missed your question the first time I saw your post, sorry about that. I live close enough, so I rode over so they could do a test fitting. They added 1/2" spacers and supplied 2 different length bolts along with a triangle shaped bracket that worked out perfectly. They've documented this setup for the 14ES, so anyone else ordering should be good to go!

Thanks, I'll have to check the contents of my box from them. I have a feeling I don't have everything I need for mounting them on my ES.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it home safe and spent enough time installing my Ericas also some HIDs. Loving life again. But pray not to change battery soon since wires weren't zip tied in place yet.

I see someone mentioned a bracket problem. I went to install my Krista 2's tonight and found that the left mirror bracket is angled forward about 20* while the right one is perpendicular to the body work. That means that if the lights are mounted with the light brackets in the backward position, the right light hits the body work but the left light doesn't. If I put the light brackets in the forward position, they both fit but the right light is obviously further back than the left.

Left bracket (with my finger perpendicular to the body work):

2015-05-24%2021.48.14-M.jpg

Right Bracket (with my finger perpendicular to the bodywork):

2015-05-24%2021.48.26-M.jpg

Left light alignment positioned to straight ahead:

2015-05-24%2021.46.40-M.jpg

Right light alignment when positioned with light pointing straight ahead:

2015-05-24%2021.46.21-M.jpg

Left light clearance to body work (about 1-3/4"):

2015-05-24%2021.44.44-M.jpg

Right light clearance to body work (light bracket in forward position) about 3/4":

2015-05-24%2021.45.04-M.jpg

So, it appears that the left bracket isn't properly shaped. I'm going to call Clearwater tomorrow but I'm not too impressed.

I also have a set of Garauld bracket somewhere, maybe I'll see if they work better.