Clip black hole...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proffsionl

Reaction score
I took some time today to install my new power distribution block on my new '06 FJR1300AE. In the process, I removed the black cover over the battery. As I am pulling it out, the small metal clip on the forward end of it slips off and falls inside the cowling (of course). I then proceed to take the thing apart only to find that the clip appears to have vanished.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to see if my dealer has an extra tomorrow (I'm hoping this is a standard item they stock).

Kevin

I did drop a bolt one time & tried to fish it out with an extended magnet to no avail, took the fairing off only to find it was on top of the back part of the header pipes.....

You have just experienced something that many have also experienced while working with small parts around the garage. Allow me to explain.

The part you have lost has gone into a time warp. Someone either hundreds of years in our past or furture has just found the part you have lost and is wondering what to make of it. This can happen to large items and small. Where do you think Stone Henge came from? My theory is a child from a civilization of giants either in the future or our past was playing with blocks on a table when a few of them were knocked off and appeared to go behind the couch.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost the very same clip-nut doing a very similar chore, running power for my Gerbing vest and gloves. I never found it. Ordered it from the local dealer, after pointing to the location on the parts diagram. Said specifically it was a "clip-nut". He got me another bolt. I'm thinking of getting an assortment of "fasteners" for the FJR as I've lost about 3 or 4 already.

I'm going to wait and get a S/M and other parts ordered from University sometime soon. Been putting it off. Working with all this plastic is all new to me. Like working with a jigsaw puzzle!

LC

I have had to strip the lower panel off to shake that friggin' clip out of it.

I took some time today to install my new power distribution block on my new '06 FJR1300AE. In the process, I removed the black cover over the battery. As I am pulling it out, the small metal clip on the forward end of it slips off and falls inside the cowling (of course). I then proceed to take the thing apart only to find that the clip appears to have vanished.
Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to see if my dealer has an extra tomorrow (I'm hoping this is a standard item they stock).

Kevin
Kevin, the same thing happend to me, I had to remove the lower side panel and found the clip wedged behind a molded bracket. Just look, it's in there.

Good luck.

Kevin
Kevin, the same thing happend to me, I had to remove the lower side panel and found the clip wedged behind a molded bracket. Just look, it's in there.

Good luck.
Is it ay relation to the sock dryer eater? are they cousins? :p

Well, an update. I did go to my local dealer to order 2 more of these (I figure if it happens once, it'll happen again). Those little buggers are $6.47 a piece!!! (they "might" have them in by Friday)

I stripped off the entire lower cowling only to find.....nothing!!!

The only thing that made it worse was that I forgot to reconnect the left turn signal (didn't figure that out until I had it back together). The good part is that I can pull the lower panels VERY quickly now.

Oh, and the other ray of light is that my Russell seat showed up today (while I had the bike in pieces, of course). I can't wait to get some seat time now!!!

Well, an update. I did go to my local dealer to order 2 more of these (I figure if it happens once, it'll happen again). Those little buggers are $6.47 a piece!!! (they "might" have them in by Friday)
I stripped off the entire lower cowling only to find.....nothing!!!

The only thing that made it worse was that I forgot to reconnect the left turn signal (didn't figure that out until I had it back together). The good part is that I can pull the lower panels VERY quickly now.

Oh, and the other ray of light is that my Russell seat showed up today (while I had the bike in pieces, of course). I can't wait to get some seat time now!!!

Clip nuts are a pretty common car item. Bet you could find them cheap at a car parts store or car dealer. Ask for proper for metric size or take bolt with you to check fit.

Yes its related to the sock dryer eater

If it's small and sharp check your tires before that first test run.

+1...BTDT :angry2:

Dropped a small bolt in the behind end while adding the Givi top box and Sargent back rest holder. Took me 35 minutes of fussin' 'n cussin' to find that little sucker. When I did find it, it was bent over laughing!

Pick the bike up and shake it a little; it'll drop out and roll into the sewer.

One trick I have learned (from experience) to help find lost items like the dropped clip is to park the bike/vehicle in a clean, open, paved area and take an air hose and start blasting into every nook and cranny of the fairing. Try aiming the air nozzle upward from underneath parts of the fairing. Often a not the piece in hiding will be blown clear of the bike. Keep your eyes open for where it lands. If possible have a helper or two to help "watch" for flying pieces to see where they land. Seriously.

The WORST is to use the air method and have the missing piece exit the hiding place and land who knows where. You will KNOW it left the premises as you will hear it tink and rattle as it finds a new hiding place behind the furnace or somewhere. Do not ask how I know about this.

I once dropped a nut off the instrument panel of my snowmobile down onto the engine. No big deal other than I had part of the engine apart and I just KNEW that the nut landed inside a cylinder. Total paranoia took hold. I could not find that sucker at all. I DID find two extra nuts and one bolt that the factory conveniently left lying in the belly pan for me, though. I ended up rolling the sled on it's back to finally get the lost nut to fall out. A 10 minute job turned into a 3 hour ordeal finding the missing nut.

Again on the BTDT.

Jestal, I have never thought of the air-blower, and will have to remeber that one.