Clothing options....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
I bought a Cortech jacket:

https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.ph...d=15&cat=25

Really love the way it looks and feels. Lots of armor.

Also got a First gear pant:

https://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb2.nsf/Pr...79?opendocument

I'm having buyer's remorse over the pant cuz I don't know if they have enough protection. They haven't been worn so they may be up for sale.

It seems most people here wear non-leather apparel. I love the look of leather but dang, so expensive. I've never had leather pants on a bike so I'm wondering how comfy/uncomfy they are on the fjr?

Aerostitch has research backing the protection of their non-leather clothing. At least I have some protection right now... just wondering if I should return the pants or not.

So do you prefer leather or non-leather?

I bought a Cortech jacket:https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.ph...d=15&cat=25

Really love the way it looks and feels. Lots of armor.

Also got a First gear pant:

https://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb2.nsf/Pr...79?opendocument

I'm having buyer's remorse over the pant cuz I don't know if they have enough protection. They haven't been worn so they may be up for sale.

It seems most people here wear non-leather apparel. I love the look of leather but dang, so expensive. I've never had leather pants on a bike so I'm wondering how comfy/uncomfy they are on the fjr?

Aerostitch has research backing the protection of their non-leather clothing. At least I have some protection right now... just wondering if I should return the pants or not.

I'll bite..

Leather = hot.

I live in HOT country.

No Likee Leather.

CyclePort = better protection than leather and COOLER too?

Hmm, as soon as I can afford, CyclePort for me...

Yeah, I got the "over" pants cus I don't like to sweat in hot weather. Same for the jacket. The jacket has leather and mesh... so it will be comfy in the summer. I wished I could find valid research showing how well non-leather material protects vs leather.

You could probablly get away with wearing leather in CO as the temps should allow. Not sure though, never been in CO. Leather is a good item to use instead of your hide while sliding down the road. As mentioned Cycle Port uses some cool Kevlar blend that is suppose to be several times stronger than leather. You'll look better with leather but not that much. :lol: Whatever you decide please include armor under your gear and if your riding naked, screw it, your screwed bigtime but only if you crash. :huh: PM. <><

I think I could get all my neighbors to cough-up enough dough so I DON"T ride naked. May be a way to make extra money. It can hit 90's or higher in the summer time here in Colorado.... but the sweet deal is at night it's back into the 70's. Man, I really am glad I moved here from Bama (roll tide).

I just found this link... very interesting.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-clo...le-clothing.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear Cycleport Kevlar mesh. AND I do ride "mostly naked" underneath (walking shorts or UnderArmor in the summer). Have you done to their website and actually read what they have to say? Try clicking here!

Besides, I played "Crash Test Dummy" in August...especially for the good of the forum members...and the gear really really works! Lookie here to see what Andrew posted while I was still in the hospital. BTW, the gear has been repaired and is what I wear whenever I ride....uhm...I left the stains and yellow marks...I figure that I earned the "battle scars".

My personal recommendation: Dress for the crash you don't ever want to have. Soooo, whatever you plan to have between you and pavement or rocks or trees or bushes or guardrails while you are sliding on your back or side is exactly what you should buy.

FYI, I've had FirstGear overpants fail at the leg zipper on a very "easy" 10 mph lowside when my front wheel hit an RV's water trail and slid out in an intersection. God forbid I'd been going 30 mph or more and had my leg abrading on the pavement.

YMMV.

I so miss Andrew....., sorry..
Me too! When I went back and found that thread and read it I was a bit overwhelmed. I specifically mentioned his authorship for that reason and because part of me doesn't always believe he isn't here.

Its good and bad...all at the same time. Dammit!

Leather is hot, even the perforated types.

I am an avid supporter of Cyclo / motoport mesh gear for temps above 85

For everything else it is Aerostich roadcrafter

I've had leather. Properly designed they can flow air through vents but you still have to haul around rain gear and there's the bulk and care required. With textiles you can have good air flow (even without mesh), it can double as good rain gear (no extra stuff to haul and no need to stop to do the roadside rainsuit boogie) and the care and condition of the stuff is an annual event.

Yeah, it's gettin' about time to throw my gear in the industrial spin washer and freshen it up again. I'll soon be in touch with Wayne Boyer from Cycleport about a return visit to NAFO. I'm not sayin' hold off on a purchase, but if you're still on the fence by then....And he might have those new stretch Kevlar gloves!

Personally, I prefer textile. I have leather, but I'll only wear the two-piece if I'm on a day ride on the Triumph and doing really hard riding. On hot days, the leathers actually help keep the heat from the bike off of me. Always wear something like underarmor underneath though.

Right now I'm looking for new gear. The big question I'm having right now is whether to go with Gerbing's heated outerwear which they claim can be used all season, or get the liners and with other "shells"..

Ok, love the Motoport stuff. The Kevlar has me convinced. Now I gotta figure out which of the pants to get. I'll be selling my First Gear pants on the website...

I've seen Odot wear leather. That's all you should need to make a decision (one way or another).
:derisive:
Waay to much information gunny :blink: Assless chaps with pink tassles. Sorry ya had to see that.

How's the therapy coming along :lol:

:jester:

If it's hot, you sweat. If it's cold, you shiver. If you hit the pavement, you slide......and hurt. Just don't slide on the assless part....then it hurts more.