Clueless salesman

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash Cash

Reaction score
So since I'm never on that side of Orlando, I wandered into the local Yamaha shop. I started looking at the C14, and the salesman came over. I mentioned I was just looking at the differences between it and the FJR. He says "people like it because it has ABS. You can't get that on the FJR"

"Reeeally... are you sure?"

"Oh yeah, it's because it's an older model."

"I... see... I, um, did not know that..."

They have an A+ service department, but their sales folks... oh jeez. I'm hoping he's the new guy.

I asked how the remote key thing worked on the C14, and at least he was honest enough to say he didn't really know. That I can respect.

It was interesting to see the C14 had the EXACT same heated grips knob & scale that the FJR does. I guess Yamaha & Kawasaki have the same supplier.

I'd say more often than not, this is the case. Most (but not all) sales folks don't know their product lines and haven't taken the time to get familiar with the technical details.

Most of the time, I'll just make small talk and walk away shaking my head. :blink:

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad but too true ^^^.

Some more shrewd on the showroom floor will just keep quiet... :(

BUT, once -- when the new R-1 came out (with the cross-plane crank) and I had some time to kill -- I walked into a local Yamaha shop and the young sales guy (they're all young...) asked if he could help me.

I asked if he could explain the R-1's cross-plane crankshaft to me. And he did -- fairly succinctly and correctly, too.

I was impressed (and thanked him). :)

Chiming in;

Yes, the culture of most salesmen positions (not exclusive to motorcycle dealerships) has diminished a bit. Knowledge of product

is a rarity. With the resources available and stiff competition, you would think that they would want to be as knowledgeable as possible.

I respect those with knowledge and willingness to state the pro's and con's of their products.

Perhaps, most just know what they are interested in and what they ride, but not much else. Then if that's the case, there should be

a resident expert of each class of bikes they sell.....Rant over...

I'd say more often than not, this is the case. Most (but not all) sales folks don't know their product lines and haven't taken the time to get familiar with the technical details.

Most of the time, I'll just make small talk and walk away shaking my head. :blink:

--G
Unfortunately, the 'kids' in the back (the ones with the wrenches) aren't any more knowledgeable than the sales staff.

--G
Unfortunately, the 'kids' in the back (the ones with the wrenches) aren't any more knowledgeable than the sales staff.
Kind of prone to generalities arnt we. There are some good and some bad. My dealer has one of the best mechanics I have ever worked with. They treat me great and I did not even buy the bike from them due to the fact I could get it on line for a lot less.

--G
Kind of prone to generalities arnt we. There are some good and some bad. My dealer has one of the best mechanics I have ever worked with. They treat me great and I did not even buy the bike from them due to the fact I could get it on line for a lot less.

Yeah, maybe....seen it many times but in all fairness I could temper it a touch...

Unfortunately, many of the 'kids' in the back (the ones with the wrenches) aren't any more knowledgeable.

Before I got my FJR, I bought a KLR from the local UJM dealer. It was delivered (after sitting on the floor waiting on me for a week) with outstanding recalls they neglected to do. When mother Kaw gave me a heads up I shamed the dealer into doing a free oil change since I was going to be out a days time and travel to get the recalls done. The service manager was a grandmotherly looking 50-ish lady. Very nice and sweet, but clueless to anything MC related I asked. After waiting half the day for the work and oil change she called my cell and got me to the service area to pick up my bike. I sign for the recall and go to get my bike that is put in the parking lot while I was talking to her. I go to get on my bike and there's a 6 inch puddle of oil under it. I go and tell the lady and she say she'll have to get one of the guys, "I don't know about stuff like that". What a way to build relationships with new customers. The oil proved to be the result of a lazy tech not cleaning up his mess. He proceeded to tell me how difficult it was to change the oil in a KLR without a mess. At this point I had already changed the oil in the bike twice without spilling a drop. Down side is that this is the nearest Yamaha dealer, other than a small one man sales shop (that has serious credibility issues). I will be doing my own work on the FJR till it grenades or gets a new zip code. On the other hand the local v-twin dealer has home grown, MC in the blood, wrenches & sales folk. My only complaint is I can't/wont pay their prices (comparable to the UJM's prices) for service. When flat rate reached $80 per hour I started buying large tools for serious maintenance. I have a shop full of MC specialty stuff paid for by *not* feeding the dealers. As the complexity of all vehicles in my fleet increases my trust and confidence in any dealer has decreased dramatically.

Chiming in;

Yes, the culture of most salesmen positions (not exclusive to motorcycle dealerships) has diminished a bit. Knowledge of product

is a rarity. With the resources available and stiff competition, you would think that they would want to be as knowledgeable as possible.

I respect those with knowledge and willingness to state the pro's and con's of their products.

Perhaps, most just know what they are interested in and what they ride, but not much else. Then if that's the case, there should be

a resident expert of each class of bikes they sell.....Rant over...
Unfortunately they think they are saving money by hiring any moron that will accept the job and paying them minimum wage. Most dealers are too stupid to understand the cost of lost sales.

Long ago I worked in broadcasting and then the telecom field. It seemed to me that sales folk were hired not based on their experience with selling airtime or telecom gear, but on ANY sales experience. I guess the attitude was "selling is selling, regardless of the product". If you can sell toasters, you can sell radio ads or phone switches. I used to sit in meetings with the telecom sales guy where he would promise the customer all the things that this new phone system would do for them, all the while I knew that he was talking out his a$$. Eventually, I couldn't stand it anymore and as tactfully as possible, I began correcting some of his statements right there in front of him (after all, I was the one who would have to ultimatley implement what whe was pitching to these people). Funny, he never really liked me after that... On another system that this guy sold, I was finishing up the install and the customer was talking about all the great features he was going to start using on the system. I knew exactly what we just installed and what features were sold, and none of the ones this customer was talking about were included. I told him so and he said "but the sales guy said it would do ALL these things!" And I said it would, as options which were not purchased. He then said "where's my lawyer's phone number?" No offense to any out there in the sales field, but this is just based on my experience.

I once walked into a big box electronics store and asked for something. The sales geek responded that doesn't exist', to which I responded that I wanted to speak with the suprervisor.

The supervisor gave me the same answer.

I asked for access to an Internet-connectec omputer and proceeded to show the two of them that it wasindeed a consumer product in their field and then suggested politely that they would look a lot better if their responses included such phrases as 'I'm not sure', 'It may be, but I'm sorry, we don';t carry it' and 'Please let me check for you'.

Another time I walked into a Honda dealer and asked to price a 6 cylinder Accord. The salesman told me flat out that 'they don't make that' and started arguing with me. After 5 minutes of toying with him I moved my a** a foot to the right and exposed the plackard on the showroom vehicle that said 'V6' (or someting like that) and invited him to reconsider his position - especially since his cubicle was 3 feet from the back of that car and he'd been staring at the vehicle's rear for as long as it had been in the showroom.

I left and bought an Acura TL from someone else - it cost me less and had more 'things' in it. As I recall there was no question about the number of cylinders. The TL only came/comes with a 6.

Actually, this dealership (Cycle Sports Center) has the best service d00dz, and the only ones I've let touch my FJR. They did my ECU recall very professionally, and one of their techs had no problems patiently answering some of my retarded questions about mechanical stuff. Unfortunately, they're literally on the other side of Orlando, and nearly an hour away.

The other Orlando dealership (Orlando Yamaha-Kawasaki) has major serious "asshole with an attitude" service techs and service manager, and wouldn't do my ignition recall unless I popped several hundred bucks for them to tow the bike in. Their salesman is why I bought an FJR in Tennessee instead of Florida. However, their parts guy goes "above and beyond" and has hooked me up with good deals on Plexus, helmets, gloves, rain gear, jackets, etc. And I'm sure he's not appreciated there... sigh.

Well... Salesmen are interesting people. I know I was one of them for a while...

I was a motorcyclist before being a salesmen so I had a good working knowledge of motorcycles across the UJM line. As far as crank shafts, I would have probably missed that one. As far as the salesmen in this story not knowing about the FJR having ABS, come on dude get a clue and know your competition. There is a differance between being a motorcyclist selling motocycles and a salesman selling motorcycles.

Enjoy the ride and ride your own ride!!!!

JJMadco :drinks: