Clutch and brake fluids

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all the FJR experts out there: How do you know when to change the clutch and brake fluid? The clutch fluid on my FJR '05 looks clean in the indicator window but the brake fluid looks all black. Is this normal? I have only 20k on the bike, everything is working fine.
If you look into the site glass you will see there is a silver metal disk visible in the clutch reservoir but not the brake? The lack of this disk makes the brake fluid look darker than the clutch? I know cause I did mine at 19,000kms and 1 year old, when it didn't need to be done! However I did learn how to do a brake fluid change and that is good! Have a look at your rear brake reservoir? Mine was very clean and I use both brakes (to some degree) in most of my braking applications. Take a flashlight and point it into the brake site glass and see if that brightens the image?

Mark

Over the weekend, I completed the fluid flush for the front and rear brakes as well as the clutch. I purchased a Mity Vac at Auto Zone and it proved to be helpful but far from perfect. I had trouble maintaining a vacuum with the pump when it was connected to my bleed valves. It actually worked great for the rear brake bleed but not so great for the front brakes and the clutch. One thing I noticed is that the rear brake bleeder valve sticks out of the rear brake parallel to the ground and other three stick upwards at angles towards the sky. I don't know if the orientation had anything to do with my success on the rear brake or not.

I ended up using the vacuum pump to pull the bulk of the fluids out of the reservoirs. When the fluid coming out of the bleed valves was clean, I finished up the job the old fashioned way, pump the handle or lever 3-4 times, hold the lever, open the bleed valve until the handle or lever reached the bottom of the range of travel, closed the bleed valve and repeat until there were no bubbles in the fluid coming out. Then I topped off the fluids and sealed everything back up.

I then made a jumper wire with some small connectors on either end, connected that to the service connector on the bike and followed the procedure to enter the ABS test mode. I was able to perform the ABS function test, which cycles the front brake ABS, then the rear brake ABS, and repeats the front brake ABS. It worked just like the service manual said it would.

Once I put the plastics back where they belonged I took the bike out of the garage and it stopped just fine at the end of the driveway. I took it out for a test ride and the brakes, clutch and ABS all worked fine. I started off slow before building up to the ABS test. ;)

BTW, the Mity Vac I purchased at Auto Zone was rebranded with the "OEM" logo. I think this is Auto Zone's house brand but it was all Mity Vac inside the package. It was listed at $35 on the shelf but rang up at $29.99. The pump has a plastic body and it comes with the vacuum gauge.