Clutch engaging

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

consumer22

Reaction score
Hello,

I just have about 1700 miles on my new FJR. I noticed yesterday that if I hold in the clutch, it will engage on it's own. I sat in my driveway and put it in 1st and held the clutch in. Eventually (maybe 10 seconds) I can ride away. I then tried it on the road at about 50mph. Same thing. It will engage. Fluid levels are proper. I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow but I hate the down time. Has anybody else seen this problem?

I took it in today. Seems as though the master cylinder is bad. The dealer also says that he questions what kind of fluid is in there. He is going to replace the master cylinder and replace the front and rear brake fluid as well as the clutch fluid. I hope to have it back by Friday.

Hello,
I just have about 1700 miles on my new FJR. I noticed yesterday that if I hold in the clutch, it will engage on it's own. I sat in my driveway and put it in 1st and held the clutch in. Eventually (maybe 10 seconds) I can ride away. I then tried it on the road at about 50mph. Same thing. It will engage. Fluid levels are proper. I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow but I hate the down time. Has anybody else seen this problem?

If your dealer's solution doesn't cure your problem you may have sticking clutch plates that need to be cleaned and soaked because they have dried out. As bizarre as this sounds, there have been a *large* number of Gen II FJRs with this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your dealer's solution doesn't cure your problem you may have sticking clutch plates that need to be cleaned and soaked because they have dried out. As bizarre as this sounds, there have been a *large* number of Gen II FJRs with this problem.
.... but that wouldn't explain his symptoms. It's the clutch master cylinder.

- Mark

Hello,
I have noticed a similar problem with my 07A maybe someone can explain. When the bike is cold, it seems to take a couple seconds of holding in the clutch lever before the clutch will completely disengage. Once the engine warms up, it is fine. I was thinking air in the line?

Also, I had the bike on the center stand and started it up, the wheel spins. Does this sound normal? The bike has 200 miles on.

Any advice is appreciated. (About the bike anyway)

Danno