Clutch Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamirr

Reaction score
'wanted to let you guys know about my clutch experiences.

I hadn't been riding my FJR for the last few weeks due to clutch shifting problems. Same problems as noted a thousand times on this board. Lurch forward after pulling the clutch lever in, very hard shifting, etc etc.

I figured while I had the bike in for the IS recall, I'll also have them take a look at the clutch. I handed the service manager printouts of many posts off this forum explaining the symptoms and that the problem is a known issue; I also noted the clutch plate soak as a possible solution. This guy seemed like a generally nice guy do deal with, but I got the impression he didn't like me telling him what was wrong with the bike. He told me that the clutch plate soak is a method they use in some cases but they would need to diagnose the problem themselves. Fair enough, so long as what is wrong gets fixed.

Well, they get to the IS replacement the day I dropped the bike off and called me to say they wouldn't be getting to the clutch until later in the week. A week and a half goes by and I call them back to see what's going on. The service guy tells me they were on the phone with Yamaha that day and were told to replace the clutch (they had to order one). No soaking, but a clutch replacement and without me arguing for it. I was actually surprised to hear this. The bike only has 7k on it and I stopped riding it once I saw the issue worsen. I kinda wonder how bad the plates looked when they pulled them out...

Had this happened next month instead of last month, it wouldn't have been under warranty....

As far as the new clutch... [SIZE=24pt]WOW.[/SIZE] The Feej really does shift.... and effortlessly so. I would encourage anyone waiting for the clutch to work itself out to have the bike looked at. I'm glad I did, when I did.

What! you didn't get the extended warrenty from D&H. :blink: Shame,Shame,Shame. $389.00 bucks last i knew for an extra 4 years. Cant go wrong IMO.

What! you didn't get the extended warrenty from D&H. :blink: Shame,Shame,Shame. $389.00 bucks last i knew for an extra 4 years. Cant go wrong IMO.
Actually, I did... because of this problem. I hadn't planned on it initially because the dealer wanted 700 dollars for it (called it "nation-wide pricing"....) This clutch problem hit and I called D&H while the bike was in the shop.

Vamirr

I've performed searches on this but can't seem to connect with any info - I think I'm having the same issue. Tranny shifting is way to difficult and the clutch does not engage instantly when pulling the lever in. Is this what you were experiencing?

I'm just shy of 5K miles and was hoping the shifting might sort itself out.

Thx / Al

I thought the wear parts are not covered by the extended warranty? it seems they fixed it as it was a known problem and so few miles on the bike. Would it have been covered by the extended warranty if it was a month later?

Last edited by a moderator: