CO2 in checked bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee B.

Reaction score
Did a check of the baggage rules for SW air. Didn't find anything telling me CO2 cartridges were NOT okay.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

This definately needs a new head line......something like........passenger killed by pilot sticking CO2 cartridge up his ass.

Not allowed. Typical airline text:

Articles listed in the Department of Transportation's Hazardous Material Regulations and/or the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations are restricted. These will only be accepted subject to advance arrangements and compliance with regulations.

For safety reasons, dangerous goods may not be packed in checked or carry-on baggage or taken on board with you. Restricted articles include but are not limited to:

Lighters

Lighter fluid

Acid

Explosives

Flammable solids/liquids

Oxidizing materials

Corrosive materials

Compressed gases

Poisons

Etiologic agents

Radioactive materials

Irritating or incapacitating sprays

Mercury

Noxious materials

Briefcases and attaché cases with installed alarm devices

Not allowed. Typical airline text:Articles listed in the Department of Transportation's Hazardous Material Regulations and/or the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations are restricted. These will only be accepted subject to advance arrangements and compliance with regulations.

For safety reasons, dangerous goods may not be packed in checked or carry-on baggage or taken on board with you. Restricted articles include but are not limited to:

Lighters

Lighter fluid

Acid

Explosives

Flammable solids/liquids

Oxidizing materials

Corrosive materials

Compressed gases

Poisons

Etiologic agents

Radioactive materials

Irritating or incapacitating sprays

Mercury

Noxious materials

Briefcases and attaché cases with installed alarm devices
SW air is now allowing lighters in checked bags and the section on camping equipment sounds like fuel in bottles may be allowed. They also allow matches but not the strike anywhere matches. A book of matches would be okay.

Just do it. It is better to ask forgiveness than to be told no. Besides they will either find it and remove it from your bag or it will be there when you get to where your going. What's the worse that can happen??? I mean besides us hearing about a fireball and a plane crash and then we don't see you on the boards again?

SW air is now allowing lighters in checked bags and the section on camping equipment sounds like fuel in bottles may be allowed. They also allow matches but not the strike anywhere matches. A book of matches would be okay.
I just checked two MSR fuel bottles (empty and tops removed) with my backpacking stove on Delta both ways.

Just do it. It is better to ask forgiveness than to be told no. Besides they will either find it and remove it from your bag or it will be there when you get to where your going. What's the worse that can happen??? I mean besides us hearing about a fireball and a plane crash and then we don't see you on the boards again?
With respect to CO2, this is copied from the SW website:

Cartridges associated with a self-inflating life raft must be removed and are not allowed on Southwest.

Self-inflating life vests with two small gas cylinders (cartridges) and two small spare cylinders are allowed in checked baggage.

Cartridges associated with a self-inflating life raft must be removed and are not allowed on Southwest.

Self-inflating life vests with two small gas cylinders (cartridges) and two small spare cylinders are allowed in checked baggage.
Cause you never know when you will be making a Water Landing! :unsure:

Sounds like if I buy a self inflating vest and pack it I'll be okay for two of the canisters!

I won't have a raft so I'm okay there. I also won't have a vest so I'm not okay there.

Worst that can happen is they are confiscated adn I'm out about $12.