CO2 or small air pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
So, I’ve been doing some reading about fixing a flat and if people use small pumps or CO2’s and it appears that most people use CO2. Question is: For those of you that used CO2 to fill up a FJR tire, how many CO2’s did it take? Is CO2 worth the money in your opinion? Same web sites say that it takes 4 CO2’s to fill up FJR rear tire, is that true?

Thanks.

So, I’ve been doing some reading about fixing a flat and if people use small pumps or CO2’s and it appears that most people use CO2. Question is: For those of you that used CO2 to fill up a FJR tire, how many CO2’s did it take? Is CO2 worth the money in your opinion? Same web sites say that it takes 4 CO2’s to fill up FJR rear tire, is that true?
Thanks.

Most folks (including me) will likely say they prefer a mini-pump to CO2. With CO2, when you are out of capsules, you are walking. With a pump you can use it as much as it takes to get to a full repair. That's important if you have a slow leak.

Another vote for mini pump. I keep one under the seat with my patch kit.

Is CO2 worth the money in your opinion?
They're not very expensive -- shop around. Some have un-threaded tops (air gun type?), but the tire-repair type are pretty available.

Same web sites say that it takes 4 CO2’s to fill up FJR rear tire, is that true?
Maybe..., especially to get the big rear tire up to pressure with small cylinders? You can get a plugged tire up to enough pressure to ride to an air source, slowly, with less cylinders. And, cylinders come in different sizes.

[history]In the '60s, the Czech ISDT team equipped their Jawas with compressed air cylinders the size of a salami -- just to make sure....[/history]

I have the Slime mini pump and mushroom plugs under the seat of my bikes. Some have bought a cheap walmart tire pump (think it's about 10.00) and takes the guts out of the shell making it really small. Definately pump, no co2....I bet it takes more than 4 for a rear tire.

I carry both. Search the forum for Slime compressors...wal-mart and most autoparts stores carry them. I bought a compressor from wal-mart that fits easily in my toolbag for less than $30.

I carry both. It is just my luck that if I don't cover all the bases then "Murphy" jumps up and bites me in the ass. I also carry extra tools, first aid kit and jumper cables. Never used any of those but I still carry them around.

I didnt know that mini pumps are small enough to fit under a seat.

Good to know.

Another vote for mini pump. I keep one under the seat with my patch kit.

Great poll.

What do you all think about that flat tire fix in a can. I guess it's a foam? Or is it better to use plugs?

There was a very good poll done on this already. 3 to 1 in favor of electric inflators.

1 cylinder will get you approx 10psi. Enough to get you to an airpump, but, not enough to do a long run. Deal with cylinders once and you'll be looking for a mini compressor.

Lots of options here (For the extra few inches of space it takes up, I'm considering picking up the COMP03 that has the light on it)

My bike came with a CO2 kit under the seat. Then, in mid-summer, I came across the slime mini pump on clear out for $29 (stupid canada, everything is 2x more expensive) so I picked that up as well.

Given the laws regarding these things, I'll carry them about for the next few years for no reason whatsoever. Fair trade for those that know the rules.

My bike came with a CO2 kit under the seat. Then, in mid-summer, I came across the slime mini pump on clear out for $29 (stupid canada, everything is 2x more expensive) so I picked that up as well.
Given the laws regarding these things, I'll carry them about for the next few years for no reason whatsoever. Fair trade for those that know the rules.
Slime pump...what laws??