Coffman's Exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention that the stock mufflers are 10 lbs and the Coffman's are 2 lbs so 10 - 2 = 8 x 2 = 16 lbs weight saving. It is noticable even when you heft the Feejer onto the center stand. So it should be very noticable when riding the bike, but time will tell.
So what do you think? Do you like them? Do you like the sound? I am still loving mine.

Sorry for the Tardy response! Yes I do like them, particularly the weight loss factor, it is very noticable. As for the sound, it is very pleasing in a formula one sound kind of way. I have not run without the baffles as the sound level is at the top of my comfort zone but the sound is very satisfying and quite controllable with the judicious use of the throttle. A co-rider , who rides a stock hayabusa, informed me that riding behind he found it not offensively loud even under full throttle acceleration runs. The upside to these particular pipes , on this particular bike, is that you can throw the stock pipes back on in 5-10 minutes without any effort.

That is an option that some other exhaust systems cannot probably offer.

The only negative comment I can give these pipes, and it might not be the pipes fault, is that they gurgle suprisingly loud when you are decelerating with a closed throttle, probably a "Power Commander" and the correct fuel map for this particular setup would work just fine.

All in all, for the money, I quite enjoy this exhaust sytem.

Great feedback, and pretty much what I have concluded. Thanks for the update.

I still want to take the baffles out one time, to see what they sound like, but have not gotten there yet. :)

As far as the decelerating problem, I installed a PC III as well as removed the AIR Induction system and installed WynPro's PAIR Covers, and I have not had any problems since.

Here is a link to WynPro's PAIR Covers. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116612&mode=linear You may want to start here. I bought the PC III from a buddy and also put an aftermarket air filter in, so I could justify the Power Commander.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I talked it over with the local guru who works on all the Feejerr's once they are off warranty here and he reccomended the exact same route, so I might as well suck it up and get the valves shimmed, new spark plugs, the intake covers, throttle bodies sync'd and a power commander V. He has a dyno in his shop so we can document the before and after. It's only money....................sigh..................... I have about 46,000 kilometers or 29,000 miles showing.

Once again, it's only money...............................sigh........................
mega_shok.gif

Yes, I talked it over with the local guru who works on all the Feejerr's once they are off warranty here and he reccomended the exact same route, so I might as well suck it up and get the valves shimmed, new spark plugs, the intake covers, throttle bodies sync'd and a power commander V. He has a dyno in his shop so we can document the before and after. It's only money....................sigh..................... I have about 46,000 kilometers or 29,000 miles showing.
Once again, it's only money...............................sigh........................
mega_shok.gif
You may smooth out the off-idle throttle response to some extent with the Power Commander. If you are expecting significant horsepower gain, stop now and save your money.

Are you even a bit mechanically inclined? If so, its not a big deal to do most of the service stuff yourself (plugs, PAIR covers, air filter, bleed hydraulics, even the valve check). Especially with all the good info on this forum (not to mention the support you will get here if you run into problems along the way). Note: Pretty good chance you will only need to check the valve clearance without needing to re-shim. I didn't need to change any shims until over 100,000 miles on my '07.

mega_shok.gif
You may smooth out the off-idle throttle response to some extent with the Power Commander. If you are expecting significant horsepower gain, stop now and save your money.

Are you even a bit mechanically inclined? If so, its not a big deal to do most of the service stuff yourself (plugs, PAIR covers, air filter, bleed hydraulics, even the valve check). Especially with all the good info on this forum (not to mention the support you will get here if you run into problems along the way). Note: Pretty good chance you will only need to check the valve clearance without needing to re-shim. I didn't need to change any shims until over 100,000 miles on my '07.
Agreed, I have done all the work myself. Haven't had to do a hydraulic bleed or valve check yet, but I am sure it is not that bad. Also agreed on the power gain. It will be minimal, if at all. I used the Power Commander to simply smooth out the throttle and kill the decel pop. I don't believe more power is needed. Fine as is.

I think I will tackle the spark plug change, not sure about thePAIR covers as it looks like on a similar yamaha, the FZ8, you can plug the line/lines and stop air being injected. I came across this by looking at the "Holeshot" sight to check out his product for fuel management. I searched the forum and didn't find any articles about the " Yamaha FJR Holeshot EFI Supertune Tuning Box" so if anybody on the forum here has tried , or is running Dale's product, I would like to know your thoughts.

I do realize that the PAIR covers are the best solution to stop the decel POP.

I had one of Dale's tuners on another bike, 03 SV1000s , and was very pleased with it. Easy to install and only needed a small screwdriver to adjust.

I am not sure if it is the same box for the FJR , but Dale is very easy to work with.

P.S. I used parts from him on My Bandit 1200 and SV1000 too. :)

Personally I wouldn't run them based off of it's a touring bike, not race bike. If your like me and run longer than an hour at a time, that's going to get annoying if you get my gist. On the other hand, a decent length set of FMF, Akropivic, 2 bro's etc. would give an awesome tone but yet not be too loud running down the highway. Just my 2 pennies.....

I, as well, ride much more than an hour at a time, and am not annoyed a bit with the sound. They sound great.. Love the Coffman's..

Ordered mine today silver tips as the blues dont look right with the blue of the FJ. I like more sound out of my bikes so these are right up my ally. Also as others have mentioned if I go on a truly extended trip and am worried about noise fatigue ill just slip back on my ol trusty stockers and go. Looking forward to some noise Vroooom !!!!!

Ordered mine today silver tips as the blues dont look right with the blue of the FJ. I like more sound out of my bikes so these are right up my ally. Also as others have mentioned if I go on a truly extended trip and am worried about noise fatigue ill just slip back on my ol trusty stockers and go. Looking forward to some noise Vroooom !!!!!
Very cool. Let us know what you think when you you get them on and running.

So SullyCuse or anybody else that is running these great little pipes, have you "uncorked" them yet? Inquring minds need to know!
I have not. I have been wanting to, but just haven't gotten around to it. I hope to try that out this summer for sure. I will report back once I "uncork" them, as you say.. :)

I mounted mine Friday and got to ride both that day and a little Saturday. In stock config there very nice, deeper bass tones and you can actualy hear your bike but definitely not obnoxious even after a 3 hour ride. Uclears had harder time with wind noise than exhaust in fact once under way you don't hardly notice them. Tomorrow or Tuesday I will be removing the first item the DB killer/cheese grater, I'm expecting a much higher noise level approaching a standard high performance exhaust like a yoshi pipe on a old skool gixer. Last I will try with the end cap out just to see if it affects tone and amount of popping as I haven't done the AIS removal yet. Hopefully will have my friends GoPro as well and put up some links to let you hear the differences in both idle and a drive by. All in all if your wanting something other than all the huge bazooka can options out there or just looking for big sound coffmans offer a definite alternative to the norm, but I can see where many wont choose them. As for me .... I like em Vrooooom !!!!!

I wonder if you can face the end tips down instead of out to the side. I would like to hear the reverberation bouncing off the tar.

SAAAAAWEEEEET !!!

Dave

yes the end tip are made so the owner can reorient them to face other directions

I mounted mine Friday and got to ride both that day and a little Saturday. In stock config there very nice, deeper bass tones and you can actualy hear your bike but definitely not obnoxious even after a 3 hour ride. Uclears had harder time with wind noise than exhaust in fact once under way you don't hardly notice them. Tomorrow or Tuesday I will be removing the first item the DB killer/cheese grater, I'm expecting a much higher noise level approaching a standard high performance exhaust like a yoshi pipe on a old skool gixer. Last I will try with the end cap out just to see if it affects tone and amount of popping as I haven't done the AIS removal yet. Hopefully will have my friends GoPro as well and put up some links to let you hear the differences in both idle and a drive by. All in all if your wanting something other than all the huge bazooka can options out there or just looking for big sound coffmans offer a definite alternative to the norm, but I can see where many wont choose them. As for me .... I like em Vrooooom !!!!!
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you take the "innards" out. I still have not done that to mine. I need to, one of these days to see how they sound. I am perfectly happy with the stock sound. Glad you like them as much as I do.