Cold feet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
1st Forgive me.

I have been looking and thinking about an FJR since I decided to give up track days and sell my GSXR-750. I crashed last year at VIR in turn 7 and have been healing every since. I had a FZ-1 for about a year in 2006. and I still have my faithful back up VTX-1800 for Cruising.

Here is my fear. I fear the FJR will not live up to my needs.

What I want is a bike that is close to being as fast as my FZ-1, but more comfortable. I want my wife ( who is larger than I, and that is all I will say about that :dntknw: ) to be comfy also.

She likes the VTX, but since the crash I have lost strength in my right arm and that bike is very top heavy, so with her on it I have problems in town.

I have been reading here on it, and I notice that many of you put this bike in the same class as the FZ-1, That will not work for me, I need more comfort in the leg room department. and my wife couldn't ride my FZ-1 because her knees got cramped in 30 minutes, is this the same for the FJR?

Also, I notice that the that very few FJR owners are concerned about power. ( I hated my VTX until I put a 40 hp shot of nitrous on it, and it is still the slowest bike I own)

If this bike won't at least pull the front wheel on its own power ( without burping the clutch) anywhere in 1st gear I will probably not be happy. ( at least not wothout Nitrous )

I am looking at an 07 for $11995 this would be the most I have ever paid for a bike,( I usually but 2 year old bikes about every 2 years) so I want it to be the best bike I have ever owned.

I thought about an 05, but heat issues and lack of colors has pushed me to the 07, I like the Black Cherry.

I also notice that most of you appear to be older than me ( I am 39 and holding )

Forgive me for asking, but is this The goldwing I said I would never own?

From what i have said here do you think I should continue toward the FJR or look elswhere?

Sorry this is so long, but Thanks

Eric

Full throttle till ya see GOD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Then BRAKE!!!!!!!

Your may be right, but I do love the looks of it, and the thought of all that luggage space for all day rides appeals to me. My VTX corners like a cruise ship, the floor boards scrape so much I have had to replace them two times in the past 3 years. I do hear that the FJR corners well for its size. How would it compare to my old FZ-1? If even close that would be fine.

I had an FZ6 before my 06 FJR. My wife wouldn't ride with me on the FZ6 so we went out together and she said she was comfortable on the FJR. She has plenty of room on the back and the addition of a backrest made it even better. 99% of the time I'm riding alone. The FJR has never let me down. I've been on week long camping trips and I commute 40 mile to work on it. This bike will go fast, carry a lot of stuff and looks good with or w/o bags. It's not a wheelie machine but I'm not a wheelie kinda guy. Good luck in your search.

This past summer I had a lot of fun in Colorado. There were only of few sweet corners where I hit the bikes limits, besides that the bike was capable of more than I could give it.

She likes the VTX, but since the crash I have lost strength in my right arm and that bike is very top heavy, so with her on it I have problems in town.
Eric,

If this is the case, just lean to the left...

This bike is very nimble for its size and I find it does not feel like its size.

Good Luck on your decision.

With a large passenger (I'm in that catagory too) you will not like the FJR at all, if you want easy control, or at least something approching a cruiser. The FJR is top heavy to begin with.

Look here for an FZ1 FJR comparo. And here.

I also notice that most of you appear to be older than me ( I am 39 and holding )Forgive me for asking, but is this The goldwing I said I would never own?
There are younger guys here, too. No, its no Goldwing (though the newer Goldwings have surprised more than one "squidly" type) but it is a 650# sports tourer, not a 400# sports bike.

I fear the FJR will not live up to my needs.
And it may not, we can't know what your needs are.
What I want is a bike that is close to being as fast as my FZ-1, but more comfortable. I want my wife ( who is larger than I, and that is all I will say about that ) to be comfy also.
The FJR is what you descrive, but the power is lower in the RPM range and the torque is "there" all the time, so it is easy to ride. A good many of the owners here ride 2-up. We always suggest a back rest or a topcase for the passenger. If your wife has long legs, there are ways to adjust the footpegs for her.Links here!

Also, I notice that the that very few FJR owners are concerned about power. ( I hated my VTX until I put a 40 hp shot of nitrous on it, and it is still the slowest bike I own)
If this bike won't at least pull the front wheel on its own power ( without burping the clutch) anywhere in 1st gear I will probably not be happy.
Roughly 123 RWHP isn't enough? 0-60 in 3.2 seconds :rolleyes: then shift to second isn't quick enough for the street? :unknw:
Mine can "power" the front wheel off the ground in 1st and second, but I have an OldGen (2005), the NewGen (2006 and newer) have different final gearing and a 10 mm longer swingarm. Still.....???

From what i have said here do you think I should continue toward the FJR or look elswhere?
Where are you going to go? My best advice: Go rent one for a weekend (Yes, they ARE out there), start here!
The FJR is a bit "top heavy" when compared to sportbikes and standards bikes. That phenomenon disappears once under way, but a near stop and extremely slow speeds, it is there. I mean, come-on, you have 6 1/2 ga. of gasoline in the tank X 7.5 lbs=50 lbs. of weight at your waist height. For me, @ 6'2", 32" inseam, it isn't unwieldy and the bike is solid and stable, however, if it gets leaned over at a stop.......

If you are looking for a wheelie machine that will go and stop like a sport bike yet carry a 200 lb rider and a 150 passenger plus 40 lbs of packed luggage: This isn't the bike for you. It just can't overcome all the weight and still perform.

If you are looking for a bike with a performance envelope close to the FZ1 but has more comfort and can be ridden all day for 3 or 4 days: This might be the bike for you.

There are products available to adjust the pilot's footpegs; add travel pegs to stretch your legs; lengthen the pillion's footpegs (for tall or long-legged passengers); many different windshields and seats, etc., etc. There are many who ride the bike just as it ws delivered and love every minute of it.

If you are looking for the be-all-end-all, double-throw-down, only-bike-you'll-ever-need-or-want, perfection-on-2-wheels...this isn't your bike.

It is a great platform that does many things very well (cruise, tour,k explore, go, corner and stop).

It is also a great platform on which to build as close to perfect a bike for my needs.

I'm on my second FJR ('06) and of the 79 bikes I've owned, it's about as close to the "perfect bike" as I've ever had. For what I like and given the med problems I've had for last 3 years the bike is one of few I can comfortably ride, with shall we say..."enthusiasm"; btw....I'm 61 and 6'2".

However, given your situation the only way to find out: RIDE one. I would also suggest a GL 1800 Gold Wing, the bike is simply unbelievable despite its apparent size. I've had 2 GL 1800s, but now the FJR is better for me. My first GL 1800 got over 12K miles rolled on her in the @ 15 months I had the bike...oh yea, IIRC, she was traded for my '03 FJR.

TRY b4 you buy, only way to be reasonably certain! Good luck.....DFO :D

I think MM2 pretty well summed it up. The only things I would add is if you are in doubt about control on a bike with a passenger, especially your wife, don't ride a passenger until all doubt is removed. I have arthritis basically of the whole body and I could never ride a passenger except in an emergency. I've ridden other bikes as you describe and must say my Gen II 06 FJR is pretty comfortable and I have rode multiple states in one streach with the bike loaded successfully with no problems. I couldn't do that on my HD SoftTail. Like the others said if possible take a test ride. Let us know how you made out and be safe. PM. <>< :D

Look here for an FZ1 FJR comparo. And here.

I also notice that most of you appear to be older than me ( I am 39 and holding )Forgive me for asking, but is this The goldwing I said I would never own?
There are younger guys here, too. No, its no Goldwing (though the newer Goldwings have surprised more than one "squidly" type) but it is a 650# sports tourer, not a 400# sports bike.

I fear the FJR will not live up to my needs.
And it may not, we can't know what your needs are.
What I want is a bike that is close to being as fast as my FZ-1, but more comfortable. I want my wife ( who is larger than I, and that is all I will say about that ) to be comfy also.
The FJR is what you descrive, but the power is lower in the RPM range and the torque is "there" all the time, so it is easy to ride. A good many of the owners here ride 2-up. We always suggest a back rest or a topcase for the passenger. If your wife has long legs, there are ways to adjust the footpegs for her.Links here!

If this bike won't at least pull the front wheel on its own power ( without burping the clutch) anywhere in 1st gear I will probably not be happy.
Roughly 123 RWHP isn't enough? 0-60 in 3.2 seconds :rolleyes: then shift to second isn't quick enough for the street? :unknw:
Mine can "power" the front wheel off the ground in 1st and second, but I have an OldGen (2005), the NewGen (2006 and newer) have different final gearing and a 10 mm longer swingarm. Still.....???

Where are you going to go? My best advice: Go rent one for a weekend (Yes, they ARE out there), start here!
The FJR is a bit "top heavy" when compared to sportbikes and standards bikes. That phenomenon disappears once under way, but a near stop and extremely slow speeds, it is there. I mean, come-on, you have 6 1/2 ga. of gasoline in the tank X 7.5 lbs=50 lbs. of weight at your waist height. For me, @ 6'2", 32" inseam, it isn't unwieldy and the bike is solid and stable, however, if it gets leaned over at a stop.......

If you are looking for a wheelie machine that will go and stop like a sport bike yet carry a 200 lb rider and a 150 passenger plus 40 lbs of packed luggage: This isn't the bike for you. It just can't overcome all the weight and still perform.

If you are looking for a bike with a performance envelope close to the FZ1 but has more comfort and can be ridden all day for 3 or 4 days: This might be the bike for you.

There are products available to adjust the pilot's footpegs; add travel pegs to stretch your legs; lengthen the pillion's footpegs (for tall or long-legged passengers); many different windshields and seats, etc., etc. There are many who ride the bike just as it ws delivered and love every minute of it.

If you are looking for the be-all-end-all, double-throw-down, only-bike-you'll-ever-need-or-want, perfection-on-2-wheels...this isn't your bike.

It is a great platform that does many things very well (cruise, tour,k explore, go, corner and stop).

It is also a great platform on which to build as close to perfect a bike for my needs.
Yes, I am sorry if I sound too demanding, I will be honest, I like The style of Criusers, ( that is why I have kept my VTX) But it is 794 lbs wet and if you add a 160 lbs driver and a larger than that passenger, it becomes too much for me to feel safe with her on it.

And if you think shaft drive tourers have drive line lash problems try a 4 inch stroker V-twin.

I enjoy it by myself and when riding solo with my HD friends, but that is it.

I know this FJR can't be all things. Any dual purpose bike is a compromise at best,

But is the FJR the best compromise I can Get for me, When I feel spirited and for both me and my wife when I don't?

And although I don't know of anyone renting them near hear ( Greensboro NC ) I will not buy another bike without first riding it. I only did that once ( my 06 gixxer ) and if I had ridden it before hand I would have kept my FZ-1.

You didn't mention if a FJR would be your "only" bike. If so, based on what you wrote, it may not be the right bike for you. Yeah, a lot of us are older than you, but some aren't. I'm 55 (and still holding at 39.) I've been riding dirt & street bikes since I was 10.

The FJR will provide the power of your [stock] FZ-1, but in a considerably larger, heavier package. Is the FJR the Goldwing you said you'd never own? Not by a long shot. I've owned two FJR's ('05 & now a '07). Last summer I had my first opportunity to ride a Goldwing. Plenty of comfort, but that Goldwing ride is an experience I never want to repeat until I'm at least 80 years old. My FJR felt like a GSXR 1k in comparison.

The FJR has a moderate amount of power. I've never been in a situation where I needed more, then again, I've never raced street bikes or a NOS equipped bikes either. I do have to admit though, my Busa remains in my stable for one reason; now and then I need a bit more thrills then my FJR can provide. The Busa still scares the #hit out of me, and for some crazy reason, I still need that. But if I had to own one bike, it would definitely be my FJR. It does most things very, very well. (And of course there's plenty of ways to squeeze more power out of it, if you feel the need to.)

I suggest finding someone or a dealer, and test ride a FJR. It might do the trick (I mean come on... your big FOUR ZERO isn't far off!!) :dribble:

Although you may find that the KZ-14 or something similar is more to your liking.

In any case, best of luck to you. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I find the FZ1 comfy if not a little exposed relative to the FJR. It, being more of the "street fighter" genera is a bit more nimble and less top heavy. However that said the bike is a really well balanced, handeling and comfortable bike. I'm not into the wheelie thing, never been my thing. but a lot of guys do'em on the fjr.

And if you arent comfy with the wife on the back, i suggest you get her a bike of her own :)

Personally I find the FZ1 comfy if not a little exposed relative to the FJR. It, being more of the "street fighter" genera is a bit more nimble and less top heavy. However that said the bike is a really well balanced, handeling and comfortable bike. I'm not into the wheelie thing, never been my thing. but a lot of guys do'em on the fjr.

And if you arent comfy with the wife on the back, i suggest you get her a bike of her own :)

I'm 38 and decided today to go ahead with the FJR. Hope that makes you feel better. I think it's the best choice out there for a ST.

No this won't be my only bike. I could never go without some big , fat, slow, cruiser in my garage for those lazy summer days, but I doubt I will ever have another all out sport bike either, because I am spoiled to the luxury of having storage space on my bikes, and windshields. I only rode my gixxer about 2000 miles last year, my other bikes got about 10,000 put on them.

And yes Kiteman11 that does make me feel a little better.

I am 34 and traded my CBR954RR for my FJR. It's not as fast, but I can ride it longer, almost as fast on the bumpy roads in New England. My wife is not a feather but still lighter than me I am 225#. She could last about 1 hour on the CBR with Corbin seats. We have rode more than 4 hours on the FJR. It is top heavy with a passenger when stopped. That disappears when moving at all. I have a AE model and that will lift the front in 1st if you snap it open at 4500 rpm or so. It is almost as quick as a FZ-1(2002). I still ride with a ZX-9 and the FZ-1 they do win a all out drag race but not by much. I have beaten a zx-6r in a drag race. They don't lose me in corners either. I have never looked back at my choice to trade from sport to sport touring. Try one you'll like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OTOH, it has been noted by some 2-up riders, that the front wheel will loft quite easy WITH a pillion on back :lol:

when i had that problem with my first wife i traded her in on a new model :rofl:

khrome

Eric,

You might wanna look at the new Yamaha Star line of motorcycles. I personally think it would be the best of both worlds for you & wife.

Take care.