Cold riding tip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSimon

Reaction score
For all of you crazy folksout there riding this winter, how do you keep your faceshield from fogging up?

I added heated grips to my FJR, with them riding even in the low 30's doesn't seem to be much of a problem although my faceshield wants to fog up. Any recommendations on preventing this?

Thanks,

John

I thought when I opened this thread up JSimon was going to say... WEAR A HEATED VEST!

But seriously... don't breath. Hahaha! No really, people swear by that foggy mask. Forgot the actual name but hear that it works great. If a cheaper alternative is sought, I've heard that shaving cream wiped on & then off the inside of a shield helps fog.

Then there's always those eyeglass sprays that you could try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had a problem with fog in my Scorpion helmet. Its great.

Ice on the otherhand....

IMG_0011.jpg

Below 22 degrees I have this problem.

It was 16-19 degrees when this photo was taken. At 22 it went away.

Yeah, I'm gettin as much milage outta that shot as I can :p

My Nolan came with a pansy ass no-fog piece of plastic that 'slips into place' to prevent fogging. Yeah, right, like I'm gonna let some unattached piece of plastic sit in front of my eyes & hope it doesn't start to flop around while I'm riding...

I keep the visor up 1/8 of an inch (Nolan has click stops on the visor that work OK as long as you're not going way fast) and the fog is only a problem at red lights, never when moving.

My Nolan came with a pansy ass no-fog piece of plastic that 'slips into place' to prevent fogging. Yeah, right, like I'm gonna let some unattached piece of plastic sit in front of my eyes & hope it doesn't start to flop around while I'm riding...
Well, that pansy ass no fog PinLock visor is one of the best anti fog units you can run. I have tried Fog City shields, and the PinLock that comes standard with Nolan helmets is 10x better.

It works wonderfully in the Pacific NW moisture like a charm!

And I have never had a PinLock visor come loose, while riding or otherwise, it is quite secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'm guilty of snap decisions & sticking to them... Since you believe in it so strongly, I'll have to give it a try next time I ride. Now all I have to do is find it, it's somewhere in the garage...

Well, that pansy ass no fog PinLock visor is one of the best anti fog units you can run. I have tried Fog City shields, and the PinLock that comes standard with Nolan helmets is 10x better.

It works wonderfully in the Pacific NW moisture like a charm!

And I have never had a PinLock visor come loose, while riding or otherwise, it is quite secure.
Ponyfool - Is the pinlock you're talking about the same as the one TWN referenced? I've had good luck with Fog City but I need a new one and maybe I'll give the pinlock a shot.

When I don't ware my Scorpion helmet I use Fog tech.. www.fogtech.ca/ the stuff really works as advertised and one bottle last a whole season easily. You just wipe a thin film on the inside of your visor and it WILL NOT FOG at all. I ride all winter long unless there is snow or ice on the road and wont leave the driveway without it.

If only Scorpion would make visors for other helmet brands....They would make a fortune!

Ponyfool - Is the pinlock you're talking about the same as the one TWN referenced? I've had good luck with Fog City but I need a new one and maybe I'll give the pinlock a shot.
Yes, it is a PinLock visor system. Many European manufacturers include them with their helmets. Every Nolan I have owned comes with them. The US system requires you to install the pins that lock the 2nd visor.

As boogah mentioned, it looks flimsy. But once it's in place, it is awesome. The only thing I've learned, at least with my flip up helmet is, don't open the visor in a steady downpour. The rain gets between the visors. It never happened on my old Nolan, but it wasn't a flip face either.

I'm seriously considering a piece of corrugated plastic hose, like wire harness hose, to pipe some of that hot air into the lower chin area. If I can just figure a way to lose the 1960s astronaut look I will give it a try.

Seems like some positive-pressure warm air forced into the helmet would cure fog and ice. At least at speeds where it's the biggest problem.

Now if I could just make it Bluetooth... ???

:blink: