Cold riding tip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Nolan came with a pansy ass no-fog piece of plastic that 'slips into place' to prevent fogging. Yeah, right, like I'm gonna let some unattached piece of plastic sit in front of my eyes & hope it doesn't start to flop around while I'm riding...
Well, that pansy ass no fog PinLock visor is one of the best anti fog units you can run. I have tried Fog City shields, and the PinLock that comes standard with Nolan helmets is 10x better.

It works wonderfully in the Pacific NW moisture like a charm!

And I have never had a PinLock visor come loose, while riding or otherwise, it is quite secure.
+1

The Nolan/pinlock works very, very well.

I have used FogCity in the past on other helmets. My biggest issues with them is they scratch so easily, if you breath on them funny they just get facked up. The ones I had were almost a matte finish on the inside of the helmet.

Maybe that's changed... They are also a PIA to get on straight IMHO.

ACC-ZWAX-2T.jpg

For those of you who ride regularly in freezng weather why not use a snowmobile helmet? Some of them even have electric visor heaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all of you crazy folksout there riding this winter, how do you keep your faceshield from fogging up?
I added heated grips to my FJR, with them riding even in the low 30's doesn't seem to be much of a problem although my faceshield wants to fog up. Any recommendations on preventing this?

Thanks,

John

The fog city visor (at least I think tha's the one) peeled off in heavy rain,

covering your mouth and nose works, also cracking the visor a bit at stops.

What I ended up doing was tying a silk scarf over my face...aka cowboy style...

Works well... I always carry a couple of them, when wet, they also dry out quickly.

Breathing and sneezing kinda gets the inside of shield wet...<BG>

Also handy to have something to blow the drippy nose in...<G>

Mary

No insult intended and I sincerely apologize if I offend you but I have to ask. Was the insert on the inside or the outside of the visor? :unsure:

Where did I hide that bottle of pain killers....

Last edited by a moderator:
When I don't ware my Scorpion helmet I use Fog tech.. www.fogtech.ca/ the stuff really works as advertised and one bottle last a whole season easily. You just wipe a thin film on the inside of your visor and it WILL NOT FOG at all. I ride all winter long unless there is snow or ice on the road and wont leave the driveway without it.If only Scorpion would make visors for other helmet brands....They would make a fortune!

Must be that snot in a can :lol:

OK I'm guilty of snap decisions & sticking to them... Since you believe in it so strongly, I'll have to give it a try next time I ride. Now all I have to do is find it, it's somewhere in the garage...
find it, use it, it works great in my N102 ;) dont understand how/why it works, I'm too simple minded, but it works

<snip>For all of you crazy folksout there riding this winter, how do you keep your faceshield from fogging up?... Any recommendations on preventing this?
Lots of reccos, here. Breath deflectors (over the nose) and helmets that have the feature that prevents the visor from closing completely are a big help. If your helmet doesn't offer that feature, a plain-old spring-style clothes pin clipped (temporarily) to the bottom edge of your helmet's face shield can be a 'life saver'. Remember, most of your decision making is because of visual info..... :blink:

No insult intended and I sincerely apologize if I offend you but I have to ask. Was the insert on the inside or the outside of the visor? :unsure:

Where did I hide that bottle of pain killers....

On the inside.... was one of the first ones, stuck on with some thin foam... not sure if it was Fog City or not...

The dealer gave me back my $$$$..

Oh, and my Scorpian shield fogs up a bit, too, but not bad.. but it was close to freezing and raining hard that time... light rain, warm, no problem.

Mary

My new British-certified SUOMY comes with the most remarkable thing: an anti-fog shield! It works on your normal cold, dry morning (okay, 32 degrees is about as cold as I have to deal with out here in the Bay Area). Why are those not standard on all helmets?

However, when it rained like hell the other morning, even with the anti-fog shield I was getting condensation that was causing me to have to modify my "horse's arse" riding style since I couldn't see the cars I was recklessly trying to fly up between, and had to keep lifting the visor and trying to scrap the moisture out.

I have a friend who is a hardcore commuter (160 miles a day RT from the Jackson in the foothills of the Sierra to Pleasanton), and he swears by the breath box and Pinlock. BTW, this dude used to own an FJR, but switched to the Honda ST as a "superior commuter"--which for him meant better bad-weather protection.

I've tried the FogCity insert before, but that still has problems in the rain.

JB

I use the Psolar balaclava with a built in breath box that pre-heats the air you breath.It keeps me much warmer and allows me to open the visor enough to keep the fog down.But you need a little extra space in your helmet for the breath box.It works with my HJC but not enough room in my Nolan.Personally used down to 19 degrees.

OK I'm guilty of snap decisions & sticking to them... Since you believe in it so strongly, I'll have to give it a try next time I ride. Now all I have to do is find it, it's somewhere in the garage...
find it, use it, it works great in my N102 ;) dont understand how/why it works, I'm too simple minded, but it works
+4 (I think that's what we're up to on the pinlock). I'm afraid you trashed one of the features that makes the helmet worth buying. It works well. And hasn't budged in 30,000 miles.

I used a Fog City deal briefly, but it says in their user data "not for night-time use

', as you get weird psychadelic light shows in your vision at night. It's really fun when you're not tired, but when tired, it will freak your shit OUT!

If the Pinlock shield is the same, it's worhtless for serious night work.

I just crack my shield open one notch ( Shoei Syncrotec ) and all has been well down to 13 degrees.

GZ

I've got the pinlock on a shoei and the hyper optik fog city on an arai. They both work pretty well from an anti-fog point of view. I tend to prefer the pin lock though.

They will both add some extra glare from the double plastic. I seem to think the hyper optik has more than the shoei. Also, the hyperoptik doesn't get dark enough for me on really bright days, so would just wear the shoei with sunglasses, or something with a dark visor.... none of my lids with dark visors have any anti-fog stuff. now that it is cold though, i'm gonna have to think of something for those....

Fogcity is pretty good, although +1 on the psychedelic lightshow at night. Used different anti-fog sprays, waxes and liquids like Rain-X (on both sides of the shield); none are really any better than another IMHO. For the $, the best bet has always been a bit of liquid dishsoap - just rub a thin film on the inside and it'll keep the fog off for a couple of days of riding. If you need a touch-up, the liquid soap in any restroom works just as well. Even used the left-over sliver of a bar of Ivory soap with the same reasonably good result. Best of all, you get to clean your hands at the same time :rolleyes:

+1. Used it for years.

If you wear specs, don't forget them too !
Cat Crap DOES NOT WORK...AT ALL. It may be a decent cleaner but it doesn't even slow the fogging proccess. I had read about it and bought some a few weeks ago...I was very dissapointed. I'm confused how you could have used it for years??

[SIZE=14pt]As for the Pinlock system, does it distort your view at all in the daytime??[/SIZE]

Snip

Cat Crap DOES NOT WORK...AT ALL. It may be a decent cleaner but it doesn't even slow the fogging proccess. I had read about it and bought some a few weeks ago...I was very dissapointed. I'm confused how you could have used it for years??

[SIZE=14pt]As for the Pinlock system, does it distort your view at all in the daytime??[/SIZE]
I've not had any daytime issues with the pinlock in my Nolan, and even at night the light show is mild compared to the fog cities I've used in the past.

It's also very, very easy to remove if it bothers you at night. With a Fog City, you're stuck like Chuck.