Cold Weather Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been some great post on this topic. You guys that spend the time and add links and such are just awesome.

Here is what I have.

1. Tourmaster Heated jacket (love it). Yes, it takes more time to plug in and you have to make sure to unplug, but once riding it's the sh*t. (ride all year unless it's snowing or icy)

2. Gerbings G3 gloves. I tried the Tourmaster (made my hands sweat and didn't like them). The Gerbings wear a lot like my summer riding gloves and give off a ton of heat.

3. Tourmaster over pants (when really cold, my fleece wader sweats, but this is for longer rides) other wise just my work jeans.

4. Wool socks and Cabelas Kangaroo skin/200g insulated boots.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a heated vest with arms to wear under my jacket and heated gloves from warm n safe.

It was a world of difference. I have riden all day at highway speeds at 31 degrees and kept almost warm with jeans long johns and my only jacket (convertible with outside cover, mesh, and liner).

I forgot to unplug once and it was a non event.

I have also forgotten to plug in and then they don't work very well.

it extended my comfortable riding season.

If you are going non heated, fleece &/or wool make outstanding cold weather lining items. I read most of the 1st page. I apologize if this was already mentioned. Definitely, layering is the way to go if no electrics.

I myself wear a Gerbings jacket liner. If your core is warm it goes a long way w/ helping the rest of your body stay warm... as long as your no electrified parts is parts are pretty well insulated, already... & especially from the wind.

I also have hand guards. Some feel like they look like ass. Personally, I don't think they look bad at all & they are very functionable.

I've ridden well down into the 20's for extended periods & high speed using this configuration. It wasn't always pleasant, though. I would've been much more suited into the 30's.

Good luck with whatever you go with, Heidi

OK if heated gear is the way to go what heated gear are you using?
Most folks will tell you Gerbing Heated Gear. You'll also see a lot of references to Widder Gear But they are going out of business.

I wear a nice and thin Gerbing heated jacket (don't buy just the vest to save money - you'll be surprised how cold your arms get) under my regular riding jacket and Gerbing heated gloves - no heated pants, socks or the like and no thermal undies or anything special like that and I'm perfectly comfortable down to about 35 degrees.

I'll chime in. I wear a Tourmaster transition jacket with a fleece jacket under it, pants with a thermal liner, Widder heated vest and gloves, and my FJR has grip heaters. I also wear a neck gaiter made of fleece and heavy socks if the temps get down into the 20's and 30's. Everything is fine down to about freezing, but below that my feet still get cold - I've tried the battery powered heated socks, but they don't seem to do much.

For sure, a neck gaitor is a must for any cold weather riding.

For sure, a neck gaitor is a must for any cold weather riding.

I've been using a NOJ Quiet Rider for five plus years in the cold. Keeps my contact lenses from drying out and makes a big difference in keeping the cold wind out of the helmet. I have the Deluxe with the velcro flap and zipper vent.

Chris P.

...I also have hand guards. Some feel like they look like ass. Personally, I don't think they look bad at all & they are very functionable.
I think they look like ass(es). :) But there's no doubt they make a big difference, especially for people running stock width windshields.

My winter gear includes:

* TurtleFur neck wrap (never leave home without one).

* +4" wide® wind screen (no hand guards).

* Tourmaster Synergy heated liner and gloves (absolutely love them).

* Below 40F, I switch from mesh gear to regular (non-mesh). I also switch to regular boots instead of Oxtar Air Tech.

* Above 40F, I use Nelson-Riggs bib-type rain paints over my mesh pants. Blocking the wind around my "middle" goes a long way toward comfort.

My best advice on heated gear is try it all on if possible. Don't assume that it's all pretty much the same because it's not, especially gloves. This is one area you are better off spending more money the first time to get what you like, than saving money on the first purchase only to make the second purchase a few months later.

I went for a ride yesterday with temps at 4C (around 38F). I put on about 100 hwy miles.

Top:

Tshirt, cotton sweat shirt, Tourmaster Intake with the liners in

Bottom:

Jeans, Tourmaster Air Caliber with the liners in.

Gloves: Joe Rocket leather unlined with silk liners (In case you don't know, nothing beat silk for warmth). Waits for jokes about wearing red full length evening gown gloves - what can I say, they make me feel sophisticated sexy!

Neck wrap - I couldn't find my feather boa.

Seriously, thats it. You can overdress too. Sweat is death in the cold. Get yourself a good windshield that provides GOOD coverage and your good to go. I've got my VStrom handguards on order, should be here Wed.

OK if heated gear is the way to go what heated gear are you using?
Although I don't use a heated pants liner, I wear running tights to serve as a base layer.
+1 on the running tights. I actually don't need anything else down to the teens. As a side note, the running shorts that are like biking shorts but with no padding make a great base under riding pants in the summer....greatly cuts down on monkey butt, chaffing, whatever you call it.

This is worse than an Oil Thread :rolleyes: But I ride year round and for the last 20 years I have used gerbing heated jacket and pants and gloves. This is an investment worth having in my opinion (of course, I am not charging for this and you know what they say about free advice!). I still have my 20 year old jacket and pants and it still works fine, just a bit frayed here and there I still have the original gloves and they still work fine. I average about 25,000 miles a year and ride every day except when there is frozen precip on the road. I HATE BEING COLD, so I wear the Gerbing stuff and a neck wrap (essential). I can ride, and have, to zero with no issues. The Gerbing stuff is super well made and padded enough to give reasonably good crash protection. In the spring and fall, I wear my air clothing and carry the Gerbing jacket liner, which is fantastic. A minimalist approach would be to wear your normal stuff and carry the jacket liner with you (it has glove attachements) and if it is cold in the am, then slip into the liner. The rear key when it gets really cold is WIND PROTECTION. If your jacket blocks the wind, then a liner will work extremely well. That said, however the Gerbing heated jacket and pants are not hot in moderate weather, up to 80s, and wear well so it is convenient and practical to use here in the south where it may be 20-25 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon on many winter days.

I have tourmaster gloves I bought last year at Daytona because I like the way they looked, and still do, but they cant hold a candle to the Gerbing G3 glove for warmth. I got frostbite on both hands while in the Army years ago and my finglers are very sensitive to cold. I have the Yamaha grip warmers on my AE and they work fine for 45 to 50, but no way will they work for 20s.

my 0.02, Ed, Lancaster, SC

Seriously, thats it. You can overdress too. Sweat is death in the cold. Get yourself a good windshield that provides GOOD coverage and your good to go. I've got my VStrom handguards on order, should be here Wed.
Probably a newb question, but I'm a newb. Other than a local dealer, is there a preferred source for the VStrom guards? Didn't see anything on this in the Bin. I ride year round. Plan on getting the Yammy heated grips. Been running HotGrips on my FJ for years. The guards seem like a cheap addition.

I have done quite a bit of cold weather riding for extended periods. In the past 1.5 years I went ahead & purchased a Gerbings electric jacket liner. The type that is fully sleeved. The only reason was to eliminate some of the bulk that layering offers & not because I was cold.

If you're not wanting to go electrics there are a few MUST HAVES for cold riding. A neck Gaitor is one. I myself cannot use a thick fleece gaitor because of jacket neck closures. Your results may vary. If you can get a thicker one under your jacket's neck then I'd do it.

Layering is definitely the ticket... & air is a great insulator, also. If you can trap air within one of your top garments that has a warm layer on the outside of it, you're going to do well.

A layer of wool is a "wonderful" insulator & will allow air trapping. Also a great insulator is thick fleece.

A thin base layer on your legs, fleece pants & insulated overpants is going to go a hugely long way in keeping your legs warm.

As your base layer it is best to use synthetics IMO. It allows moisture to move away from your body which will be key to staying warm. Cotton as cozy at it seems that it is, is not a good base layer at all & should be avoided.

I hear that silk is great as a base layer. I have yet to try it. I generally use jogging type compression pants & some sort of thin synthetic shirt as my base layers. These types of clothing can be found cheap at Walmart or one of many sports stores.

I also have hand guards. Some feel that they look like ass. I do not feel that way & they function superbly as wind breakers & rain guards if it rains. This will allow for thinner gloves for the same job.

For feet, a really thin synthetic sock & wool sock over it. If it is REALLY cold I'd normally slip a set of toe warmers in on top of my toes. Of course, the size of your boots is going to let you know how much layering that you can do down there.

Oh, and don't forget a good sized windshield to hide behind.

I wish you much luck, Heidi

Edited to add: Ooh, I see that I had answered this post already. I must feel like I know something about this subject. Some other info that I'd like to add. I rarely wear street clothes under my riding gear unless I am actually going somewhere that it matters. Street clothes do not offer the best cold protection... unless it is silk or some sort of polyester. Also, wearing slick clothing underneath all f this stuff allows you to move/slide inside all the layers instead of everything sticking to you.

Probably a newb question, but I'm a newb. Other than a local dealer, is there a preferred source for the VStrom guards?
We just ordered them through the local dealer. There wouldn't be enough cost savings in ordering elsewhere owing to shipping charges.

I'm pretty sure that there are a few different places to order these at a cost savings over a dealer for US residents. Try doing a search for that info. I think that California Sport Touring offers the hanguards & hardware as a package. Really, look into it. I ordered the harware through a dealer & it was $40 plus dollars for the hardware for these.

I use a Widder vest, Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suit, heated grips for temp down to 45F. I add a sweatshirt and long johns for temp down to 35F.

Heated clothing is the way to go. As others have mentioned, a heated jacket would be better than a heated vest. At least my vest has a heated neck collar which helps a lot.

Ron