Cold weather low side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrM0t0

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Leaving my office, I took a different line at the first right turn in order to avoid the crazy downhill washboard pavement since the street is paved-over cobblestones. Well, that different line placed my apex directly over an ancient, polished manhole cover.

Turns out a PR2 at 45 degrees Fahrenheit has little or no interest in maintaining traction at even the slightest lean angle and throttle position when ridden over such a surface. Down we went, on her right side, with the bike spinning clockwise for 2 full revolutions. It was kind of spectacular.

Snapped the large Rifle screen clean off, destroyed my Wild Bill's peg on the right side, rashed the right bag in a major way, but the OES slider completely saved the fairing. And weirdly, the body of the mirror sustained no damage, bot the frame of the actual mirror glass got some rash.

no damage to boots, Olympia AST, or my lid, but I sustained a minor rash on my jeans-clad knee because I felt the slow pace I take during my short commute didn't warrant the need for pants. Ummmm........wrong.

Lessons learned: Mind those man-hole covers, and wear protective pants.

Damn. I'm glad you're ok but the damage sucks. Note to self: wear protective pants even on the short runs...

That sucks... It's good you only got a scrape on your knee...sorry about your bike.

I thought I was going to dump mine last week... 38 degrees out, pulled out of work, turned the corner to go get some gas, going almost straight up an almost straight street, I opened the throttle in a very spirited manner, acceleration began as usual... then all of a sudden up went the tach, and sideways snapped the rear...amid the thoughts of how bad it was going to hurt going through my brain, I rolled off the throttle, and the bike returned to straight and level flight without further incident.

I didnt expect it, having taken the same route in the same manner a hundred times with this bike from spring til now... just not in colder weather. I have had bikes in my life since 9.. done the sideways thing on purpose a million times just goofin around... but never "not on purpose", on dry pavement, with a 650lb 150hp bike. It is so well glued down all of the time, I just didnt expect that....

Same deal.. protective gear on top, work pants on bottom...not smart of me...I woulda bled if i went down for sure.

I was fortunate. I learned a vivid lesson about cold tires on a cold road on this bike without having to pay anything for the lesson.

I rode the rest of the way home wondering if I am mature enough to own this bike.

Well crap. Sorry about the dump. Had my rear spin under me leaving a light on a cold morning last year. Glad you're ok.

Sorry about your event...... might have happened on any tire on a slippy manhole cover..... but I never liked the PR2 in the cold..... OK in the hot and they last a long time, but the compound isn't grippy enough at cold temps in my opinion.

Some manhole covers have a waffle pattern. Not sure it that would have helped me, but this one looks polished it's so smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work around some of these antique manhole covers in Seattle, entering power vaults. Some of them are so slick you're lucky not to fall on your ass walking across them. A non skid surface would be nice.

Sorry for your getoff but glad you came away with what sounds like minimal damage to body and bike.

Sorry to hear about your crash, Mr. Moto. It's surprising how little it takes to pull the carpet out from under us, and how quickly we suddenly find ourselves on the ground. I'm speaking from experience, as evidenced by this little incident I had on July afternoon a few years ago in 80 degree heat. It really rang my bell big time: HUGE helmet strike. Wearing an Arai at the time. I was also wearing full, zip-together track leathers. I still have them, and am still amazed at the fact that I have an abrasion on the TOP of my jacket shoulder (how far over did my head need to get wrenched for THAT to happen???
blinksmiley.gif
).

Now, as for your conclusion that you should have been wearing protective pants because "I felt the slow pace I take during my short commute didn't warrant the need for pants," I think you were exactly correct about that presumption and made the right decision to wear jeans. All you got was "minor rash." Weren't you willing to pay that price for the fun, comfort, and cool look of wearing jeans, given the low likelihood that you'd have a crash?

Q. What the most likely consequence? A. Minor rash. Q. What's the likelihood of going down? A. Very low. Decision: Wear jeans.

JB

I rode the rest of the way home wondering if I am mature enough to own this bike.
Ain't it the truth. Good judgement is the most critical bike survival skill. The analyses of motorcycle accidents almost universally conclude that motorcyclists are largely complicit in their own accidents.

I almost dropped mine from a standstill going across a portable popup ram-proof gate at camp Roberts. I stopped at the edge, when I went to roll (gently, the guards were right there) the tire spun and went really sideways. I almost pulled a muscle keeping it up. Metals, being nonporous, have an extremely low traction co-efficient, yup they are really slippery.

You don't even need a piece of metal. Did a similar thing simply pulling out onto a dry but shiny road, pleaded guilty here. Not as dramatic, I only managed to get the bike to rotate half a turn.

Must do better next time
mda.gif

Now, as for your conclusion that you should have been wearing protective pants because "I felt the slow pace I take during my short commute didn't warrant the need for pants," I think you were exactly correct about that presumption and made the right decision to wear jeans. All you got was "minor rash." Weren't you willing to pay that price for the fun, comfort, and cool look of wearing jeans, given the low likelihood that you'd have a crash?
Q. What the most likely consequence? A. Minor rash. Q. What's the likelihood of going down? A. Very low. Decision: Wear jeans.
Thanks so much for the sarcasm. The tone of this paragraph is unique among those from other members on this thread. I've manned up and taken the rap for making a very poor decision. What's your point?

That sucks... It's good you only got a scrape on your knee...sorry about your bike.
I thought I was going to dump mine last week... 38 degrees out, pulled out of work, turned the corner to go get some gas, going almost straight up an almost straight street, I opened the throttle in a very spirited manner, acceleration began as usual... then all of a sudden up went the tach, and sideways snapped the rear...amid the thoughts of how bad it was going to hurt going through my brain, I rolled off the throttle, and the bike returned to straight and level flight without further incident.

I didnt expect it, having taken the same route in the same manner a hundred times with this bike from spring til now... just not in colder weather. I have had bikes in my life since 9.. done the sideways thing on purpose a million times just goofin around... but never "not on purpose", on dry pavement, with a 650lb 150hp bike. It is so well glued down all of the time, I just didnt expect that....

Same deal.. protective gear on top, work pants on bottom...not smart of me...I woulda bled if i went down for sure.

I was fortunate. I learned a vivid lesson about cold tires on a cold road on this bike without having to pay anything for the lesson.

fun thing about the feej is how easily it will spin up-hot or cold, any tire..get up on the tank, easy roll on in first to about 4K, and WFO..instant darkie...

this should be practiced, just like panic stops...might want to use old tars..

Thanks so much for the sarcasm. The tone of this paragraph is unique among those from other members on this thread. I've manned up and taken the rap for making a very poor decision. What's your point?
I'm not so sure about the sarcasm, that is in line with what he is currently doing for a living -- risk management, you got a risk assessment decision tree.

Glad you are not seriously hurt. As a member of the crash club, I can relate to your feelings. I rode the belt sander about 2 weeks after I bought my FJR and from the moment I stopped sliding, I started questioning my decision to "upgrade" in the bike department. And even the thought of riding all together. I told my family I'd be careful, and I let them and myself down - if I can't ride this thing responsibly, then I shouldn't ride at all.

Well, others gave me sound suggestions, so I'll pay it forward if you don't mind:

1. Give yourself time to process this. Don't get too wrapped up in the particulars now. Be thankful that you weren't hurt and that you know exactly what happened and how it happened.

2. When the mood hits you, write your thoughts down. I thought this was BS, but I was wrong. When the mind starts vomiting the analysis, it's sometimes hard to process it all at once. If you write it down, even if it's only for your own benefit, you get a chance to go back and re-study it later. This works amazingly well.

3. Fix the bike yourself. Taking the time to remove the damage and study it gives you a new appreciation for what happened. You will see the accident from all angles, and things will be much more clearer to you.

4. Get back on the bike as soon as possible. Even if it's only to ride slowly around the neighborhood. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. Do this even if you are leaning on selling the bike or even quitting motorcycling all together. Later down the road you might regret not getting back on the horse, just to prove to yourself whatever you are doubting.

5. Go back to the scene of the crime. Stand over the location, move around, and look at it from different views. Process what happened in your mind and build confidence in yourself that you understand it, and will likely not do it again.

6. Don't let your decision be set in stone. If you wake up next week and think "that's it, I'm selling the bike and moving on", don't tell anyone for a while. Let those thoughts sink in and understand the ramifications of it. Everyone has a right to change their mind, and if that happens for you, the whole thing can take place in your memory.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, well... you got what you paid for....

I think you were exactly correct about that presumption and made the right decision to wear jeans. All you got was "minor rash." Weren't you willing to pay that price for the fun, comfort, and cool look of wearing jeans, given the low likelihood that you'd have a crash?
Really? What the hell is so un-fun, un-comfortable or un-cool looking about wearing riding pants?

You missed part of the analysis, JB. What is the downside of wearing the overpants? Especially considering that he was riding in cold weather and would probably enjoy the extra insulation? Is it the lost 30 seconds of having to pull them on over your work pants?

And why stop at jeans? Since the risk of going down is low, why not just skip all of the gear? Why even bother with a helmet?

A few years back we were on the old Greens and Whites ride that we used to put on. One of the guys (a friend of an FJR rider) showed up in a mesh jacket and jeans. This was just a sightseeing tour, not a sporty ride, so no problem right?

Well, we had not even cleared town yet, were just riding through Dartmouth University campus in Hanover and this guy went down at a low speed due to him braking when his front wheel dropped into a narrow rift in the pavement (wheel locked and tucked). His helmet was knocked, jacket was just scuffed up, the toes on his boots were now showing bare steel, and both knees were ripped open and bleeding. The knees were why he had to take a ride to the hospital down the street (undoubtedly at his own expense).

I now wear riding pants all the time, since seeing that.

YAMV

PS - Sorry to hear about your get off MrMoto. Glad to hear that the damage was minor.