Communication devices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve's FJR

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase some sort of rider to passenger communication device and I have no idea where to start. I would prefer to have something cordless (Bluetooth maybe?!?) but I really know nothing about these devices. I was hoping to get some advice from the many experienced and more technically saavy riders out there!

Thanks in advance-

I am looking to purchase some sort of rider to passenger communication device and I have no idea where to start. I would prefer to have something cordless (Bluetooth maybe?!?) but I really know nothing about these devices. I was hoping to get some advice from the many experienced and more technically saavy riders out there!
Thanks in advance-
It's not wireless, but I like my Autocomm

I love my Starcom. It is wired, but they do sell a Bluetooth connection that can make things more wireless.

I've got Starcom Advance from Jeff at Bike Effects and everything works for my purposes--rider to pillion, phone, GPS, MP3, Radar.

From my research, I don't think Bluetooth has technologically steped up for motorcycle use. I love my music and I'm getting great results with the wired system. Why staple something to the outside of the helmet that creates wind noise, needs to be charged routinely and probably wont be in stereo?

How about a bluetooth helmet system that doesn't show and charges with a solar panel film?

I use a Cardo Scala Q2 and it works great, plus it connects to your cell phone and or your gps system, all at the same time and via bluetooth. The charger is tiny, the unit holds an all-day charge. One of my best friends uses the Scala Teamset with his wife and loves it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks in advance-
A phone call to me would be worth your while. I can discuss your individual needs.

707-224-9262

I use a Cardo Scala Q2 and it works great, plus it connects to your cell phone and or your gps system, all at the same time and via bluetooth. The charger is tiny, the unit holds an all-day charge. One of my best friends uses the Scala Teamset with his wife and loves it.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

We use a Scala Q2 great gear , it hooks up to the phone and GPS + pillion and other rider.

If you just want rider to pillion communication (wireless), then Scala should suit your needs well. If you want to add stereo music, then you will probably need to move up to starcom or autocom, along with the attendant wire connections to the helmets.

The problem with either the Scala or Collet systems is for Bike to Bike, you can only talk with other riders that are using the same system (Scala or Collet respectively). The current standard for most riders these days is FRS/GMRS. If you can't talk to everyone else the bike to bike feature is kind'a limited.

Midland BT2
But only iof you can wait a little....
Call Keith, see above.
Can you or Keith post a little more about your comparison? I can't really call and talk right now.

The Midland BT2 is currently under FCC review, so I don't think it would be legal in the US yet. Additionally, they are supposed to have a version that is "Hi-Fi" as well. It is the ONLY full bluetooth A2DP with intercom (bluetooth) system I have found so far.

We just need a bluetooth GMRS to go with it.

The Midland looks good from a distance, but it REALLY depends on what you plan to do with it.

Instead of running a single cable between the intercom and your headset, you now have to run a cable from your MP3, another from your GPS (assuming it doesn't have Bluetooth connections to headsets (like Nuvis, the 2000 series. Zumo 450 or others . . ) and yet another to your GMRS radio - so you can have THREE cables hanging from your helmet. I'll assume that your phone supports Bluetooth - if not you'll be out in the cold, so to speak.

PLUS one needs to consider the fact that it is battery powered, so you have to charge the darned thing every day AND who knows how long that battery will last?

I'm hanging on to my Autocom for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Midland looks good from a distance, but it REALLY depends on what you plan to do with it.
Instead of running a single cable between the intercom and your headset, you now have to run a cable from your MP3, another from your GPS (assuming it doesn't have Bluetooth connections to headsets (like Nuvis, the 2000 series. Zumo 450 or others . . ) and yet another to your GMRS radio - so you can have THREE cables hanging from your helmet. I'll assume that your phone supports Bluetooth - if not you'll be out in the cold, so to speak.

PLUS one needs to consider the fact that it is battery powered, so you have to charge the darned thing every day AND who knows how long that battery will last?

I'm hanging on to my Autocom for now.
A Zumo 550 would seem to be the perfect companion to hookup to this midland set-up. Except that the music output via blue tooth from the Zumo is monaural, not stereo. And there's still that bike to bike FRS/GMRS hookup that isn't bluetooth (yet)

Plus we have no knowledge of how well this will work in the real world environment of a bike. For instance: Will the volume be adequate for use with 30dB earplugs? Can it be used with in-ear monitors? Etc...

All good points.

I am in contact with Midland and will update as I find out more.

I don't have a GPS, so I can't comment, but the flash presentation indicates that it will pair with everything (even 'possibly forthcoming' bluetooth GMRS).

For me, I would use a phone for A2DP streaming music and calls, bluetooth to pillion and bluetooth (or wire if forced to) to GMRS. I would add bluetooth to GPS and radar detector if I had them. (Not certain if it would pair with than many things)

For me, I would use a phone for A2DP streaming music and calls, bluetooth to pillion and bluetooth (or wire if forced to) to GMRS. I would add bluetooth to GPS and radar detector if I had them. (Not certain if it would pair with than many things)
The problem with using a phone for streaming music and handling calls is that the phone is too small (buttons are small with gloves), you'd have to hard mount it somewhere, it isn't waterproof and you can't read the screen while underway. All of that is resolved when paired to a GPS. The GPS will stream the audio and handle calls as well as send audio navigation prompts.