comparison of Cee Bailey and Cal Sci windscreens

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanahanman

Reaction score
I just completed a real life test of the Cee Bailey +4 and the California Scientific +4 wind screens.

I'm 6' tall with 31 inseem...stock seat at high position... Helli triple tree and 1" riser blocks so fairly high on the bike.

Tested with and without a 20mm spacer mod to the bracket and in both directions on a 4 lane high speed highway to speed of 120 km/h

Cee Bailey

Very nicely made and is completely clear and a tad thicker than the CS

It is slightly wider at the top and slightly narrower at the bottom than the CS

Delivered with new gasket at no extra charge

Good hole alignment for fasteners

Just in my line of sight at the highest setting.

CalSci

Seems a touch cheaper looking and a little milky

Narrower at the top and a bit wider at the bottom than the CB

Good hole alignment for fasteners

Just in line of sight at highest setting

Both screens did about the same job of keeping the air off the helmet but the extra width of the CS at the bottom, kept more air off my hands.

Seemed like dirty air on the CS had less impact on the bike than with the wider CB

HOWEVER...the big difference came with the spacer installation.

The CB was leaning too far back and there was no appreciable change to the air flow or buffeting.

The CS was CONSIDERABLY better with the spacer. The airflow was smother, less buffeting and just below my line of sight at highest setting.

I have never had a bike with such a clean air pocket behind the windscreen as this!

In conclusion, for my application, the CalSci with a spacer works very well and I can't think of how it could be improved.

Very nice review!!

Thanks for the info!!
smile.png

This modification rakes the windscreen back a bit toward the rider and lowers it in your field of vision while allowing it to be at full height.

i used the California Scientific +4 and results will vary with different manufacturers.

It also opens up a space at the bottom of the screen that allows more air flow behind the screen and ,IMHO, reduces buffeting by reducing back pressure.

When you remove the windscreen from the bracket you will see, from the front of the bike, 2 bolts (10mm head) that hold the 2 halves of the bracket together.

Remove these bolts and loosen the Allen bolt on the top end of each side of the bracket.

You should now have the 2 halves of the bracket fairly loose.

You will need to replace the 2 bolts you removed with similar fasteners that are roughly 20, or so, mm longer.

I used Allens available from Canadian Tire. Not sure what you have in the States.

For spacers, you can use nuts or whatever you like but it has come to my attention that they should be metal and NOT plastic.

If you use a couple of nuts or small spacers, you can experiment with the amount of rake.

Insert the spacers as shown in the pictures and fasten down the new, loner bolts. I used something that gave me about 20 mm spacing.

Tighten up the Allens on the top end of each side of the bracket.

Replace the windscreen and run the motor to make sure the screen, or new hardware, doesn't rub on any body work.

Ride to test.

Please excuse me for not tearing it all apart to do a step by step photo presentation.

spacers_zpsa4c7572b.jpg

spacerdetail_zps016df6a2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What works for one rider may not work for others

If you are lucky you get a windshield that works, if not it's like banging your head against the wall.

I tried the Yamaha stock shield, Yamaha Touring and I now have a Cee Bailey 4+2.

The Cee Bailey works best for me.

Got a Cal Sci tinted shorty and the holes match up but one hole is too big and the "W" frame piece pops out of the left side hole....sticks out about a half inch or so.

Also don't like the rake of the screen, sits more upright than the stock screen.

Was the CB regular or reverse contour?

I have the CB 4"x 2" reverse flip and find it to be an excellent shield. When the weather heats up though, I swap to a CB tinted shorty and enjoy plenty of air.
smile.png

Keep saying this is the snizzel.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-varioscreen-max-windshield-for-yamaha-fjr1300-06

Rifle in the Winter.

Very satified with both shields and the MRA is a great invention and turn on the Laminar Lip idea.
Well I took it cross country last year 7500 miles and did a Ton + every day. I cruised at 80-90 steady and no issues. I played with some Harleys and was at 120 for a while and it was fine. It is a very adjustable stable Summer screen.
Do you know how well that 2 piece VARIO screen holds up to high speed riding??

I have the CB 4"x 2" reverse flip and find it to be an excellent shield. When the weather heats up though, I swap to a CB tinted shorty and enjoy plenty of air.
smile.png
I'm really interested on hearing a more detailed comparison from you. I too have the CB 4x2 reverse. I'm 6'4" and have the seat in the high position so often I'm hesitant to accept the evaluations of windshields by others here to apply to me.

Ive been using the CB shield since purchasing the bike and up until the other day, it was all I knew. Ive found I always drive with it in the full up position as anything less is just too noisy. At full up, I can literally hear myself whisper or even the cupping of the tire treads at highway speeds. There is no smooth air because there is no air at all. And, Ive never experienced this back suction that others have often sited. My only two complaints would be that the CB reverse flip doesn't shed rain worth a crap and it buffets significantly when in the wake of a car or truck...in any position.

In the down position, this windshield does keep my chest cooler on hot days but I rarely keep it there long because it's just too dang loud (this is also largely due to my modular helmet too but I am speaking in relative terms).

So the other day I decide to throw on the stock windshield. The only time Ive ever driven with this was during a test ride my very first time out on a FJer and it was right after testing an ST 1300. I remember almost instantaneously deciding on buying the FJ but the first alteration was the stock windshield had to go as it didnt match the Honda's.

Well, despite that negative impression of the stock shield many years ago, I was amazing at the difference in the 'feel' of the air and suddenly began to appreciate all the observations others here where making on various screens.The stock shield in the down position was smooth - amazingly smooth! I felt an even distribution of cool air all around my frontal area. As I raised the shield, there was a more center weighted force from the air focused around my neck and helmet. It was much louder too as a result. I also noticed the 'smoothness' disappearing and even a slight back pressure around my neck. Still, it was smoother than the CB when lowered.

I remember thinking 'this isn't so bad. I kinda like the shorter windshield. Now I know why some of these guys change up from beginning to mid season. '

Then I turned onto the highway
omg2.gif
. I didn't have to go very far before realizing I would not last long with this stock shield. The noise was deafening. Again, with a better helmet and custom hearing protection it would have been better but so much for intercoms, music and the sound of car horns.

So I've been thinking of trying another windscreen and have liked what Ive read about the tinted shorty, but 'am still not entirely sure the benefits others have claimed would apply to someone my height. I could at least make an educated guess going from someone else who has the same CB as I do and has used the shorty.

The only other clarification I could use is height measurement of the shorty. The CalSci site I think indicates the shorty is the same height as stock but someone here asked for a measurement of the shorty and the response was 16" (from the lower part of the mid-section of the W). On my bike, the stock screen is 19" to this point. I would not want a tinted shorty if this measurement is only 16".

smile.png
I'm really interested on hearing a more detailed comparison from you. I too have the CB 4x2 reverse. I'm 6'4" and have the seat in the high position so often I'm hesitant to accept the evaluations of windshields by others here to apply to me.

Ive been using the CB shield since purchasing the bike and up until the other day, it was all I knew. Ive found I always drive with it in the full up position as anything less is just too noisy. At full up, I can literally hear myself whisper or even the cupping of the tire treads at highway speeds. There is no smooth air because there is no air at all. And, Ive never experienced this back suction that others have often sited. My only two complaints would be that the CB reverse flip doesn't shed rain worth a crap and it buffets significantly when in the wake of a car or truck...in any position.

In the down position, this windshield does keep my chest cooler on hot days but I rarely keep it there long because it's just too dang loud (this is also largely due to my modular helmet too but I am speaking in relative terms).

So the other day I decide to throw on the stock windshield. The only time Ive ever driven with this was during a test ride my very first time out on a FJer and it was right after testing an ST 1300. I remember almost instantaneously deciding on buying the FJ but the first alteration was the stock windshield had to go as it didnt match the Honda's.

Well, despite that negative impression of the stock shield many years ago, I was amazing at the difference in the 'feel' of the air and suddenly began to appreciate all the observations others here where making on various screens.The stock shield in the down position was smooth - amazingly smooth! I felt an even distribution of cool air all around my frontal area. As I raised the shield, there was a more center weighted force from the air focused around my neck and helmet. It was much louder too as a result. I also noticed the 'smoothness' disappearing and even a slight back pressure around my neck. Still, it was smoother than the CB when lowered.

I remember thinking 'this isn't so bad. I kinda like the shorter windshield. Now I know why some of these guys change up from beginning to mid season. '

Then I turned onto the highway
omg2.gif
. I didn't have to go very far before realizing I would not last long with this stock shield. The noise was deafening. Again, with a better helmet and custom hearing protection it would have been better but so much for intercoms, music and the sound of car horns.

So I've been thinking of trying another windscreen and have liked what Ive read about the tinted shorty, but 'am still not entirely sure the benefits others have claimed would apply to someone my height. I could at least make an educated guess going from someone else who has the same CB as I do and has used the shorty.

The only other clarification I could use is height measurement of the shorty. The CalSci site I think indicates the shorty is the same height as stock but someone here asked for a measurement of the shorty and the response was 16" (from the lower part of the mid-section of the W). On my bike, the stock screen is 19" to this point. I would not want a tinted shorty if this measurement is only 16".
I'm 5'10" and have a Sargent seat in the high position. I only run the 4x2 down all the way under 40 mph. Much faster and the turbulent air around the helmet is annoying. At highway speed I've found that having the top edge about nose height works well. I can still see over it and the air flow is smooth and quiet with only some air hitting the top of the helmet but with no buffeting.

The CB shorty is 15" to the 'W' point. I love it in the summer. It works great and the dark smoke with the black bike looks great as well. All the way down, I get smooth air flow from mid chest up even at highway speed. If I raise it too high, it creates buffeting and I have to tuck a little behind it. Probably not unlike how the stock shield works for you at your 6'4". If you don't use the stock shield any more, have a glass shop cut it down to 15" and try it. You can always sell it as a 'shorty' on the forum if you don't like it.
smile.png

The CB shorty is 15" to the 'W' point. I love it in the summer. It works great and the dark smoke with the black bike looks great as well. All the way down, I get smooth air flow from mid chest up even at highway speed. If I raise it too high, it creates buffeting and I have to tuck a little behind it. Probably not unlike how the stock shield works for you at your 6'4". If you don't use the stock shield any more, have a glass shop cut it down to 15" and try it. You can always sell it as a 'shorty' on the forum if you don't like it.
smile.png
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize CB had a tinted shorty. I thought you had a Cal Sci tinted shorty and upon re-reading your original message I see that I made an assumption. I think 15" is way to short for me. I was hoping to learn that the CalSci shorty was at least as high as the stock and that it was an improvement for even someone my height. I may just work some O/T this weekend and buy one anyway.
rolleyes.gif

For my application with a gen 2 bike, I found the "spacer" adjustment was what put the CalSci windscreen at just the right angle.

I do find that in the hot weather, the screen won't go quite low enough to allow a smooth air flow for cooling.

The 2 screen solution seems to be the only way to have the best of both worlds.

I am looking at the windscreen machanism to see if there is a mod I could make to drop the screen a bit more in the down position.