Considering a group buy on SPOT devices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing sounds cool for hikers and off road riders, but how hard is to to get lost on a street bike?
What I mean is there are roads with names, mile markers , cell phones and other traffic about, it's hard to crash or something without someone seeing it happen and calling 911 anyway.

I guess if you are in the middle of nowhere , at night, and fly off the road and down a ravine or something, and are concious enough to push the buttom for help, it might be handy. Or if not conscious and perhaps just dead , it's a good "find the body before the thing starts to smell" locater, if you have someone looking for you.
The emergency features are targeted more towards off-road riders, ATV's, etc, but there are a lot of lonely roads in northern British Columbia where it might be handy to be able to summon help if your bike broke down. (I was on BC-77 back in 2007, and didn't see another vehicle for over 3 hours in 170 miles of riding).

The feature most people want is the tracking, where your friends and family can watch your progress on Google Maps. It was really cool to follow Ignacio and Kaitsdad during the Spank rally. And you can always turn it off if you don't want to be tracked...

Are y'all aware of Yahoo's FireEagle promotion for 1 year of [SIZE=18pt]FREE[/SIZE] basic and tracking service?

Get yourself a Yahoo ID, log in, go to the FireEagle site (FireEagle is some kind of location based social networking thing).

Scroll down and click the "Go get your spot promo now" link. You are then assigned a unique promo code, which you then enter on SPOT's registration page for 1 year of free basic and tracking service. Promo expires Dec. 31, 2008.

You can buy your spot where ever you find the best deal, I bought mine locally, then registered using the Fireeagle promo deal last week.

Latest posts