Considering an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crack addiction-$36,500 per year--
crackhead.jpg

Keeping Brittany in panties-$0, Haircare-$30,000, Med bills from hangin with Paris-$50,000, other Brit BS-$150,000=$230,000
britneyspearsbathroom.jpg

Ferrari Scaglietti--$250,000
51_3.JPG

2005 FJR, with all the aforementioned expense--
17854.jpg

Priceless

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention the cost of getting Britney to ride on the back of your FJR. The crack babe would be slightly lower.

Farkles come with the territory and add to the enjoyment of owning any motorcycle.

Bill

OK, by reading this forum you are probably convinced that this bike is the greatest thing since sliced bread. And I would agree, but you should know the full costs of what you are headed for before your purchase.Nobody clued me in, not that I was in the mood to listen, but your should open your eyes to the road your are embarking upon.

Take heed: The purchase price of the bike is the down payment.

Now you have a basic bike on the road safely to the tune of say $10,000 to $16,000. But wait there is more...

Enter the world of Farkles...

IF you catch the fever, and if you stay here you will, figure $3,000 on the low end.

My Farkles:

Most of these prices are for used stuff - new add about 35%:

Wilbers Shocks w/ remote preload adjuster & upgraded front springs $ 800

PCIII usb $200

Motivation Sliders $150

Yamaha OEM Tank Bag $125

Superbrace $110

CST Dashboard $100

Gerauld's Hella HH50 lights and brackets $90

Jenmar Handle Bar Risers $ 90

CB Touring Windshield $150

FJR Goodies Bar End Weights $50

Kisan Taillight Flasher $50

Warchild's Radio Shack Fuse Block $20

FJR Randy Horn Harness & Nautilis Horns $ 60

Front Powertek Outlet & plug w/ adaptors $30

BMW Sport Grips $25

Vista Cruise $25

Side Cases Rear White Reflective Stickers $18

Wild Bills Footpegs $50

FZ1 Mirrors $70

Uni Air Filter $30

Filter cleaner and spray $10

Givi 346 Rack w/ Wiring for Optional Light $75

52 Liter Givi Box, w/rack and backrest (needs paint) $125

New OEM Air Filter, 2 Oil Fiters, many misc fasteners $100

Faux Carbon Fastbag $200

Group Buy Super Stator - $130

Russell Rectangular Seat w/ backrest slot and pillion seat covered $400

Bike Cover $30

Yamaha Tall windshield w/ flip 2 small scratches from Dashboard. $100

Stock Windscreen $50

1st Gen Vstrom Handguards $30

Rear Powertek Dual Outlet $40

Yamaha OEM Magnetic Tank Bag w/ hardwire plugs $125

Marsee Small Magnetic Tankbag - $40

Tankslapper kit - $17

90 Degree Valve Stems - $20

Then as you learn about the better options and the Iron butts -

Aerostich Suit $750

Aux Tank $800

Radar Dectector $400

GPS $800

Heated Gear $350

I don't mean to discourage you, but rather to open your eyes. Do a search on farkles and see what has been done.

Good luck and Welcome!

I do not think the FJR is anymore expensive than other like bikes, but hanging out with this crowd can cost ya! The bike is way cool - and all the farkles make like a Bat-Bike.

What, no coffee maker? Part of the problem isn't just the FJR forum and riders but motorcycling, in general. The average Harley goes out the door with over $2K extras......

There are plenty of owners who just ride the bike as it came when purchased. There are some who don't even wear more than the basic helmet and gloves, not capitulating to the poseur peer pressure and seem to get by just fine. Many of us have decided to spend the money on protective gear and toys for the bike. If we didn't fund THIS passion we'd likely find another to replace it: Model trains; radio controlled airplanes, cars or cars; street rods; vacations in Cabo, etc., etc.

Recognize the addiction......and enjoy it. :crazy: I've already told my daughter that I'm spending her inheritance. :yahoo:

Tax, Title and Insurance comes with the territory for anything that moves down the highway. Farkles come in two categories: wants and needs. Actually, compared to other bikes, I don't see the FJR list of "need" being much different than just about any other bike. I bought a new 2002 Kawasaki Concours and spent $3000 trying to make it do what it was truly incapable of doing. IMO, they were design issues that "needed" to be corrected. If you take an FJR and just ride it, it could make you very happy. Adding farkles is more like feeding your own obsessions rather than upgrading deficiencies.

Yes, but a days fun with friends = 590 mile = 3 tanks of gas =$35.00. Can't touch that price with a 10 foot pole.

And to one up Radman - Get to watch Scab do a body slide on the pavement and get up unscathed - PRICELESS. :D

Yes, but a days fun with friends = 590 mile = 3 tanks of gas =$35.00. Can't touch that price with a 10 foot pole.
And to one up Radman - Get to watch Scab do a body slide on the pavement and get up unscathed - PRICELESS. :D
+1 on "A Day's Fun".

Scab's new Olympic Event: Pavement Luge :yahoo:

It's a really, really bad idea to itemize these things.

On the other hand *most* farkles, at least those not FJR specific are transferable.

(Givi luggage, most electronic farkles, etc, etc.)

I went through this with Zed, fortunately I move nearly everything I added to that back over to the FJR.

:D

What's the problem? Think about how much the wife costs you. The bike is cheap...no hair to fix....no nails to be done...no bras to buy....no second car for her to drive....the FJR doesn't require new clothes....besides it doesn't tell you to pick up after yourself and don't give me that sex shit because you can rent that........and most important of all the FJR doesn't get a period.

Not to mention the guys who have to keep upgrading to the newest color. The rest of us enjoy about a $3,000 farkle credit by picking up the formers' used bikes. BTW, my farkle credit was used up long ago and now I'm well into another type of credit, and it's not a good type. :blink:

Do NOT give my wife any more ammo please.
:lol: I'm feeling more sorry for the poor bastard who is trying to sell the CFO on the purchase, then she sees this thread...

[SIZE=18pt]DENIED!!![/SIZE]

I don't like to think about the farkle-trickle out of my wallet. If I laid it out so clinically at the start maybe I'd never have bought mine. Don't overanalyze. Just buy it!

Well if you are going to count insurance you had better throw in tires. I don't know about you guys, but I am putting double the miles on the FJR as the old bike, and its all the bikes fault for being so much fun to ride.

Think about how much the wife costs you
Love the FJR, but not sure I want to go that far.

Are you complaining or rejoicing at all the personalised improvements available Bruce ? I neverr knew how good it could be UNTIL I found this (and the previous) place. You do not need everything on your menu, but the tasty bits are worth the $$$. Same with all bikes and most cars worth having.

Of course you CAN spend as much as you'd like on an FJR, same as any other bike. Your choice. You can also choose to buy used, ride it as stock and just do the routine maintenance.

I don't agree with adding the cost of gear to the purchase of an FJR. Who is buying it as a first time bike? by the time you're ready for a bike like this, you should have accumulated your basic safety gear already.

Where the cost DOES add up is the time missed from work, meals out, hotel bills, extra gas, tires etc because you're racking up so many miles, taking long trips. :p

Jill

If we didn't fund THIS passion we'd likely find another to replace it: Model trains; radio controlled airplanes,

For those of Us with BOTH hobbies:

1 box of balsa sticks (Airplane Kit) =$150 to $450

Several different types of glue and epoxy= $50

Several different colors of covering=$50 to $100

Radio Equipment= $200 up to $2100

Engine=$100 to over $1000

Assorted hinges, hardware etc.= $100

MAAC or AMA insurance =$50

Countless hours building, sanding, covering=??????

Crash on Take Off "#$@^%& &^%$*& @#$%^$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"