Considering an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my gear I already had because I already had a bike. Insurance was a little more for the FJR, but was not a big difference & heck I was already paying for insurance.

Most farkles have been minor in price, except for the Wilburs & the Russell seat. That said, I am now back in low buck farkle mode, because I don't see too much else that I'm hungering for... (oooh, another type of windshield, hmmm, maybe I should try it...)

If we didn't fund THIS passion we'd likely find another to replace it: Model trains; radio controlled airplanes,

How right you are;

1. Name brand make-up. (big $$)

2. Coach purse $250+

3. Jimmy Choo shoes $400

4. Therapy sessions at $100/hr

5. Designer perfume $150/bottle

6. Botox treatment. (big $$)

7. Girlie outfits. Big $$$$

8. Arts and crafts supplies.

9. Kitchen-y stuff

DH is very happy that I only ask for a bike or two, and some nice gear, and a few farkles, and maintenance on the bike, and perhaps another bike to keep this one company........

Other than the pink gear, he can share all of the above. It's not a big deal when he gets stuck with taking the wife's bike to work.

Jill

A well thought out arguement Radman.

All the thoughts of how much it cost disappears into insignificance when you hit that long stretch of road and nail the throttle! An 8.75 on the trouser scale!

Any bike is not cheap to own and run but the fun you get is priceless

Just remember RADICAL a wife is cheap compared to a wife AND 1-2 girlfriends at the same time. They make choosing a bike diffucult as one likes this one and haits what the other one likes.

What's faster than an FJR?

Money out of my wallet $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Being single with no kids, My farkle money should be unlimited...

HOWEVER

I tend to be one of those people who likes to have the newest, The fastest, And the biggest things...

Someday i will slow down and be content with the things in life instead of keeping up with the "Jones" :blink:

I think it is a good idea to consider the total cost of ownership when shopping; however, you need to do this for all of the other things you spend your money on so you have a fair comparison and an even perspective. As Radman so clearly ( and humorously) points out above, the FJR is very reasonable compared to what other people spend to keep themselves happy.

Any bike is not cheap to own and run but the fun you get is priceless
Just remember RADICAL a wife is cheap compared to a wife AND 1-2 girlfriends at the same time. They make choosing a bike diffucult as one likes this one and haits what the other one likes.
2247302-plus1.gif
The FJR is the only girlfriend my wife will tolerate, unless she picks one and brings her home to share (not that there's anything wrong with that). :rolleyes:

"Money won't buy happiness, but it can sure take the edge off of sorrow"- My Dad

Well you could sit at home and watch TV and wish you had a bike to go enjoy..........or you could just enjoy.

I plan on spending my money (wisely), because I won't need it when I'm dead.

Are you complaining or rejoicing at all the personalised improvements available Bruce ? I neverr knew how good it could be UNTIL I found this (and the previous) place. You do not need everything on your menu, but the tasty bits are worth the $$$. Same with all bikes and most cars worth having.
I was planning to sell the bike, but after a late fall ride I decided to keep it another year - at least.

No complaints, but I, like many newbies was not aware what I was getting into. So, I thought it would be informative to open up the books and add up the damages.

I'll revise it and put it into spreadsheet form after some others have added their thoughts. I forgot tires, batteries and other consumables.

Yes, it sure beats watching TV, and I do too much of that also.

These costs aren't FJR specific if you ask me...

Doesn't matter what 'bike' you have, sport tourer, sport bike, or even a cruiser. You're going to spend the same amount of dough (or more in some cases)

This is simply the cost of the sport/hobby.

I remember when I dropped $2500 for a dirtbike and justified to my wife how cheap that sport was ;)

All the same protective gear applies, if not more.

You go through tires just the same, and maintenance is the same. Oh and you need a trailer too to get anywhere good, at least around here.

There will always be upgrades but you don't have to get them if you don't want.

Some ~20 years ago I got into RC racing for a little while. To be competitive you started out with a $400 car + $250 radio, plus batteries, chargers, parts, etc, etc. Every week, and I mean every week you spent $100 to race, plus another $100 or more on something new. New transmission, gears, motor, shocks, you name it. I don't think I ever visited the track without picking up something new. You had too, or you couldn't win, or rather you could rarely win.

-MD

Bruce, never, ever, I mean ever do the books. Just make out your last will and testament to read: If you want anything I have, finish paying for it.

You bitchin' or braggin?

This forum is way cool... and has actually saved me $$$ cause other peeps have already figured out what works and what doesnt'. I dont' mind spend $$$ on stuff that works as advertised, but I hate having to find out for myself that stuff doens't always work... and than making it work...

e.g... One Harley Softail Deuce...

2 different handlebars, to include over $200 worth of new cables and wiring...done twice....cause one of the switches broke...

one shaved stock seat, recut again, then one Mustang seat

Lowered the rear, then had it raised again ( $200 lowered bolts...)

Had to cut down the windshield, sent back the brackets cause they didnt' fit... until my mech showed me how to make them fit....

And then the list of other stuff...

front fork brace, Kury grips and pegs

saddlebags and EZbrackets

rear hub covers, and some other bling....

led taillight from Germany... that came with a bracket that is no longer made, had to fab one... and ended up tearing up and rewiring the whole rear end...twice... course the gas tank had to come off too....

engine guard, stage one kit, rejetted twice I(hec=ngd pipes), K&N filter, and Chrome air cleaner cover...

Screaming Eagle pipes that are still quieter than my FJR ... then put Bub's Reinhards, with different baffles, .... now I can actually hear it running.... (Got Two Brothers on the FJR, courtesty of Gary and all the farkling he did before I bought the bike, it's a little quieter than my Harley, but sounds really good)

Most stuff I dont' even remember, and this was just to get it comfortable and able to carry a bit of stuff... Havnt' even touched the engine yet.... still a puny carbed 88b, yet to be upgraded. That will wait...

However, since you are a guy, one set of riding stuff is enuf for you...

Us ladies like a bit more choice... I wont' even say how many jackets, gloves, boots and helmets I have...

Not even counting tshirts, but I have to dig thru my stuff to find something without a bike name on it!

Hey, cant' wear the same things on the FJr, the Harley and my Triumph, right?! :glare:

OH yeah... had to add a few things to the Bandit as well and the Triumph.....

Isnt' this called "The Neverending Story"? :D

Mary

Hey I know that the bike I ordered will cost me.13g's and the rideing clothes will cost me another $1000.00 or so but hey what else am I gong to spend it on.

I think these numbers would be on the lower end of the scale.Helmet $250

Jacket $200

Riding Pants $150

Gloves $50 - $120

Boots $150

Yamaha OEM Tank Bag $125

Vista Cruise $25

New OEM Air Filter, 2 Oil Fiters, many misc fasteners $100

Yamaha OEM Magnetic Tank Bag w/ hardwire plugs $125

Then as you learn about the better options and the Iron butts -

Aerostich Suit $750
There, I deleted anything from your list that is FJR specific and unecessary. The stuff I left is pretty much what any rider of any bike needs. I also left that you entered the OEM tankbag twice (cheater). :lol:

All that stuff above is not part of farkle disease...it's just needed.

I've gone through some hobbies as well. R/C Cars...Boats...Helicopters...all trying to get away from the worst one, GOLF. The greatest thing about motorcycling is you hop on, turn the key and it fires right up and youre out having fun before you know it. Other hobbies like R/C vehicles you spend so much time and money trying to get the damn thing to work for 15 mins and then something breaks and youre back working on it. Golf you pay the money for the round and by the end of the day you want to kill yourself.

I am amazed at the amount of money you can put on a motorcycle. I didn't know that going into this.

"Well I can always resell it later and get most of my money back" <------that's how I justify my farkles everytime. Ugh.

On one of the Adventure/Tourer boards there was a guy who's sig read: "The bike is only the starter kit."

Truer words were never spoken.

I've got a buddy who has built and rebuilt and rebuilt his Ultra Classic dresser motor to the point it's nearly unrideable as a 'normal' bike. He's got it to the point it's virtually a Pro-Stock motor. Sad thing is, a stone-stock R6 will still wax it. Oh, the cost? He's got $47,000 into it. So far.

A fully farkled FJR is downright cheap by comparison.